2019 C200 poor ride quality

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abol101

Car
2019 c200 estate
Hi all new to the forum.

I’ve recently picked up a 2019 C2000 estate that has the AMG 19 inch wheels. I’m finding the ride quality to be quite poor and noisy. Mercedes have apparently checked the suspension and given it a clean bill of health. When travelling down the motorway and going over any ridges in the road it almost feels like the backend is swaying slightly. It also feels like there’s actually no tires on the car and bump is exaggerated.!

I’m running pirelli P zeros that I suspect it could be the tires.

Hi all new to the forum.

I’ve recently picked up a 2019 C2000 estate that has the AMG 19 inch wheels. I’m finding the ride quality to be quite poor and noisy. Mercedes have apparently checked the suspension and given it a clean bill of health. When travelling down the motorway and going over any ridges in the road it almost feels like the backend is swaying slightly. It also feels like there’s actually no tires on the car and bump is exaggerated.!

I’m running pirelli P zeros that I suspect it could be the tires.
That’s some big wheels with some small sidewall tyres . You could probably do with 17-18” wheels if you want more comfort .
Could the tracking be out when you say the back end is swaying ?

Sorry, but the main reason is the 19 inch wheels. The normal range is 17 to 19.

It's a constant issue over in BMW land. New owners complain about the hard ride and tram lining and then get asked what car they've bought. Their usual answer: a such and such M Sport (ie hard sports suspension) with the largest wheels and sports seats.

"Back end sway" could be a description for what is known as "tram lining," an issue common with large wheels & therefore small tyre wall tyres. It's a feeling of swaying off course, caused by the contours of the road.

Which C200 did you buy?

Last edited:

It's a constant issue over in BMW land. New owners complain about the hard ride and tram lining and then get asked what car they've bought. Their usual answer: a such and such M Sport (ie hard sports suspension) with the largest wheels and sports seats.

"Back end sway" could be a description for what is known as "tram lining," an issue common with large wheels & therefore small tyre wall tyres. It's a feeling of swaying off course, caused by the contours of the road.

Which C200 did you buy?
One of the silver shiny ones :cool:

Which C200 did you buy?
My 3 Series (19's, M Sport suspension, run flats) certainly suffers from that trait.
It's particularly prone to tramlining on one particular section of the M25.

My 3 Series (19's, M Sport suspension, run flats) certainly suffers from that trait.
It's particularly prone to tramlining on one particular section of the M25.
"Some say" that a 250 bhp Dreier Sport, on 17's, with adaptive dampers.... doesn't have that problem.

But rarer than hen's dentures, and not as stylish as an M Sport on 19's

Ours had 19" rims with run-flats as shown below:

IMG_0525.jpegI think they look great, but the ride is harsh. Never suffered from tram-tracking though and that was with Pirelli P Zero run-flats. In 2020, we had 18" rims fitted with Pirelli P7 run-flats and that was a big improvement. Last year, one of the front tyres got damaged by a pothole strike, so as they were nearing 3mm, I had all four replaced with Continental non run-flats. Ride quality is now very good.

Our son-in-law has an S205 C220d Sport on 17" rims and that is a very refined ride compared to ours, but his suspension is also softer than ours.

The rims that came with my C238 are 20" and they are the only part of the car that I utterly dislike. Even as I use "comfort" suspension setting, the ride is hard and the road noise disturbing. When the tires are worn out, I will replace the rims with 18" which is the smallest possible size that fits. I use that size for my (unstudded) winter wheels. Ride is excellent. Road noise is negligable.

The comfort levels from my 204 on 205/55/16 is amazing :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom