2021 C300 coupe or E300 coupe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Depends on what low mileage is for you.

Find me a face lift E53 premium plus in Grey, Black or White <20,000 miles for the price of a brand new full spec E300 (including running costs of petrol, tax and insurance) and I’ll buy it today.

If I still lived in Dubai I would get the C63S again, where there is no road tax, fuel is 5 times cheaper than here, motorways with speed limits of 100-120 mph, and insurance as cheap as pennies, but what sounds really crazy to me is paying thousands more just on petrol, insurance and tax to drive on our bumpy busy 30 mile roads behind a tractor or a Fiat 500 just so I can enjoy 5 seconds of an adrenaline rush when I overtake or so I can over-rev the boy racer in his blacked out corsa. 🤣
If you willing to spend £50k on a 4 pot then why worry about tax, insurance and fuel.. I know what I would do with £50k but that's me.. all the best buddy 👍

If you willing to spend £50k on a 4 pot then why worry about tax, insurance and fuel.. I know what I would do with £50k but that's me.. all the best buddy 👍
I really didn’t think I’d have to explain this but here we go:

2021 E300 Coupe Premium plus: £48,000, plus let’s say £155 a year on tax, £3000 a year on insurance, £4000 a year on petrol equals total price of £55,155 after a year, which is within my budget.

2021 E55 Coupe Premium plus: £54,000 (minimum I could find with around 19K miles) plus let’s say £155 a year on tax, £5000 on insurance, £6000 on petrol is £65,155 which is £10,000 above my budget.

So yeah I’ll enjoy my lovely 4 pot that does way more than enough in getting the job done with all the technology, luxury and comfort in the world. Rather than having an older 6 pot so I can use it’s potential for 10 minutes a week.

But thanks for the “advice” buddy.

After having a string of V6s, all my cars in recent years were 4-cyl.

The cons: less torque, less smooth, less nice engine sound.

The pros: reliability, simplicity and lower cost of maintenance and repairs, lower fuel costs, lower VED and insurance.

Most 4-Cyl engines today are DOHC 16V Turbo anyway, a reminder that this was exotic car territory back in tbe day.... and the C250 CGI produces the same bhp as the Sierra Cosworth and the original M3 did... :D anyway, 4-cyl cars produce ample power these days (even if the power delivery isn't quite on par with a V6).

Personal opinion. V8 owner may differ....

2021 E300 Coupe Premium plus: £48,000, plus let’s say £155 a year on tax, £3000 a year on insurance, £4000 a year on petrol equals total price of £55,155 after a year, which is within my budget.

2021 E55 Coupe Premium plus: £54,000 (minimum I could find with around 19K miles) plus let’s say £155 a year on tax, £5000 on insurance, £6000 on petrol is £65,155 which is £10,000 above my budget.

So yeah I’ll enjoy my lovely 4 pot that does way more than enough in getting the job done with all the technology, luxury and comfort in the world. Rather than having an older 6 pot so I can use it’s potential for 10 minutes a week.

But thanks for the “advice” buddy.
Not a big deal in the context of the overall total, but you will be paying more than £155 in tax for the first five years. All of these will have an original list over £40k so, if memory serves, it will be £460.

£3000 insurance 😒

I have owned a 2020 C300 Coupe since May, but last year I was given an E350 Convertible for a few months while my BMW M140i was being repaired after a van went into the back of it.

I personally prefer the C but that's because I've come from the M140i and various other loud, hard riding cars. So for me, having Mercedes interpretation of a "performance" car is really enjoyable, it's much more quiet and comfortable than I'm used to, but still has a surprisingly sporting edge. By the way I put performance in quotes because someone might tell me it's only a C300 not a C43, but I find it very capable - 0-60 in 5.9 seconds and tidy handling that I don't think I'll find the limit of on public roads.

However, I remember owning the E350 well, and on a long drive I did up to Scotland it was superb. But it's a different type of car, it feels heavier and the handling isn't as sharp, even though it's probably still very capable.

My only disappointments with the C coupe are that the air vents aren't illuminated so the overall effect of ambient lighting is much less impressive than the E, and also the E350 had blind spot warning indicators on the wing mirrors. The C does not as standard and I couldn't find any car available with the package that adds them in.

I guess it depends on what you're used to driving and what you want from your next car. If it's comfort and distance covering ability, get the E. If you want a more involving drive, get the C. But both are good all rounders I'd say. I still rate my C highly on comfort and distance covering - compared to my previous cars anyway :)

£3k insurance!

I pay half that for MY SL350, LR Discovery, highly modified MGB GT V8 & MGA - with agreed values c £40k on each of the 2 MGs and all unlimited mileage.

NJSS

£3k insurance!! Im 25 and i pay less than £900 on the C200 doing 20k miles a year. Whats ironic is I paid £750 for my Jag XE-S and that was properly rapid.

I have owned a 2020 C300 Coupe since May, but last year I was given an E350 Convertible for a few months while my BMW M140i was being repaired after a van went into the back of it.

I personally prefer the C but that's because I've come from the M140i and various other loud, hard riding cars. So for me, having Mercedes interpretation of a "performance" car is really enjoyable, it's much more quiet and comfortable than I'm used to, but still has a surprisingly sporting edge. By the way I put performance in quotes because someone might tell me it's only a C300 not a C43, but I find it very capable - 0-60 in 5.9 seconds and tidy handling that I don't think I'll find the limit of on public roads.

However, I remember owning the E350 well, and on a long drive I did up to Scotland it was superb. But it's a different type of car, it feels heavier and the handling isn't as sharp, even though it's probably still very capable.

My only disappointments with the C coupe are that the air vents aren't illuminated so the overall effect of ambient lighting is much less impressive than the E, and also the E350 had blind spot warning indicators on the wing mirrors. The C does not as standard and I couldn't find any car available with the package that adds them in.

I guess it depends on what you're used to driving and what you want from your next car. If it's comfort and distance covering ability, get the E. If you want a more involving drive, get the C. But both are good all rounders I'd say. I still rate my C highly on comfort and distance covering - compared to my previous cars anyway :)

Funnily enough my previous car was an M235 convertible, which I had for nearly 4 years before getting my E350 convertible. It is bigger, obviously, but once you’re used to it doesn’t feel big to drive. I loved the BMW, but it was what I an 8/10ths sort of car…absolutely brilliant, unless you pushed it all the way and then it started to feel uncomposed and a bit ragged There are aftermarket suspension options that tighten it up, but actually I was very happy with its 8/10th nature and thought as a package it was a great little car.

When it was time for a change I thought long and hard about the C, and indeed an M240. But in the end went for the far nicer interior of the E and the engine in 350 tune, which wasn’t available in the c class. With the added advantage that when it is driven hard it’s composed all the way and though it’s a second slower than the M235 to 60 (mine was a manual) it’s far happier at high speed than the BMW ever was. I miss the 6 cylinder engine of the BMW though. I took it the Merc on a 3,000 mile tour though Europe to Italy last year, and it was the perfect car for the job, but it’s as happy wafting or being thrashed around the A/B roads of W Sussex as well. The 20” wheels / runflats tyres however are prone to a lot more damage than the 18”s of the BMW!

E class, even with red seats....

The interior is what you spend most time looking at and being in.

And it's a better car

Funnily enough my previous car was an M235 convertible, which I had for nearly 4 years before getting my E350 convertible. It is bigger, obviously, but once you’re used to it doesn’t feel big to drive. I loved the BMW, but it was what I an 8/10ths sort of car…absolutely brilliant, unless you pushed it all the way and then it started to feel uncomposed and a bit ragged There are aftermarket suspension options that tighten it up, but actually I was very happy with its 8/10th nature and thought as a package it was a great little car.

When it was time for a change I thought long and hard about the C, and indeed an M240. But in the end went for the far nicer interior of the E and the engine in 350 tune, which wasn’t available in the c class. With the added advantage that when it is driven hard it’s composed all the way and though it’s a second slower than the M235 to 60 (mine was a manual) it’s far happier at high speed than the BMW ever was. I miss the 6 cylinder engine of the BMW though. I took it the Merc on a 3,000 mile tour though Europe to Italy last year, and it was the perfect car for the job, but it’s as happy wafting or being thrashed around the A/B roads of W Sussex as well. The 20” wheels / runflats tyres however are prone to a lot more damage than the 18”s of the BMW!
Late reply, but yes I can definitely relate - my M140i felt too stiff for a lot of roads, and could get ragged. The M135i was supposed to be more of a road setup and that would have been my preference, but I was buying new in 2018 so it wasn't an option :)

Epic straight six engines in the BMWs though. I would have liked the C43 for the six cylinder soundtrack, but with my budget it was either a 2017 C43 with 50k miles or a 2020 C300 with 7k miles. With the other little improvements like the larger info system display, I decided to choose wisely for nice. The 2.0 doesn't sound very exciting until the last 1000rpm where it does get a bit more hard-edged.

OP - have you decided yet?

Definitely the E Class. The C is going to age much quicker and IMO isn’t a good buy at that price. Just a couple of months ago new ones had lots of discounts available, but because of availability the offer has now been dropped. The interior on the C isn’t artico, it’s leather on the night edition

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom