• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

287C00 Adaptation was not completed successfully - after 7G-DCT (724) fluid change service.

Borris1954

Car
S204 C 250 CGI BlueEFFICIENCY, R170 SLK 230, B 180d AMG Line
Hi,

I have just completed the 7G-DCT (724) fluid change on my 2017 W246 @ just under 40K miles. This is the first time it has been changed.
I rigorously followed WIS instructions so was surprised when on fist start up I got a red message on the dash saying "Without changing gear, consult workshop".
As I have Xentry I hooked it up and sure enough I have a Fault Code 287C00 Adaptation was not completed successfully.

My question is two fold:
  1. Why has this happened - what did I do to cause it as on all the videos I have watched no one else seems to have had this?
  2. What do I do next run the full basic adaptation process in Xentry, or finalise getting the fluid level exactly correct (for now I have put in just over 4 litres as per WIS)?
What is perhaps different about my process to that in videos is that it was done over several days:
  • Day one - lift up car (as level as possible). Measure current level cold. Run engine until fluid at 40 degrees (as shown by Xentry) measure current level again. Drain Fluid.
  • Day two - remove air filter etc for access and remove filters and pan. Clean up mess!
  • Day three - install new internal filter, pan and loosely nip up pan bolts
  • Day four - torque u pan bolts, fit external filter, add approx 4.25l of new fluid
  • Day five - refit air filter etc and do first start
Could having that ECU mounted on the side of the air filter unplugged between days 2 and 5 have caused the adaption data to be lost?

Any thoughts or advice welcome.

Just to close this out I am happy to advise that running the Xentry adaptation process fully resolved this issue. But note that once you have done that you'll need first to manually clear the DTC and then all is well. Also note that one step in the adaptation process is actually to measure and confirm the transmission level at 40 C - it not only displays the current oil temp but also tells you what the level should be in your car (in my case 2.5 on the green dipstick).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom