• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

5.4L supercharged V8 vs EQC running costs

I wasn't referring to the police... I have yet to drive on a UK motorway that has no traffic hold-ups, no slow traffic, not temporary speed limits, no average speed cameras, no variable speed limit, and no roadworks... certainly not on a 400-mile stretch! If you know of such a motorway in the UK, do share... :D
Gotcha.....well the answer is all of them....but you need to be up at and 3am! To be honest I do get it happen occasionally....but usually only on roads north of Birmingham.....no chance down South.

Years ago (about 1990....so pre speed camera) a group of us went from Chichester to Donington Park on our bikes for the bike GP. About 10 bikes so you can imagine how silly it got....most of us on super bikes (I was on my nearly new Yamaha FZR1000EXUP....full power model 145 hp (this was the era of the 125 hp limit in the UK))...we had long stints at 130 plus.....a few squirts to 150 plus. When we got there inc one 10 min stop (fuel and loo) we had averaged "just" 79 mph. Just goes to show how fast you would need to go in a car to average 70 when there is traffic. Even with no law enforcement I don't think it would be possible in the day now.
Do people still put in quick laps of the M25 with false plates?....it was a thing when I was young....and I obviously deny doing a lap after the regular Friday night Chelsea Bridge meet...definitely not me you honour.

Gotcha.....well the answer is all of them....but you need to be up at and 3am! To be honest I do get it happen occasionally....but usually only on roads north of Birmingham.....no chance down South.

Years ago (about 1990....so pre speed camera) a group of us went from Chichester to Donington Park on our bikes for the bike GP. About 10 bikes so you can imagine how silly it got....most of us on super bikes (I was on my nearly new Yamaha FZR1000EXUP....full power model 145 hp (this was the era of the 125 hp limit in the UK))...we had long stints at 130 plus.....a few squirts to 150 plus. When we got there inc one 10 min stop (fuel and loo) we had averaged "just" 79 mph. Just goes to show how fast you would need to go in a car to average 70 when there is traffic. Even with no law enforcement I don't think it would be possible in the day now.
Do people still put in quick laps of the M25 with false plates?....it was a thing when I was young....and I obviously deny doing a lap after the regular Friday night Chelsea Bridge meet...definitely not me you honour.
Even with “false plates” I doubt that an average of 120 for an hour would be possible of the M25 for an hour any more. Too many vehicles around, let alone too many live cameras and police

I'm particularly impressed with the young lady who was covering 24,000 miles annually (some if it at 115mph in a 1960s car...). Must be a salesperson?
There were a lot of Reps with National territories, or regional territories that required a lot of travel. It was much more routine to drive long distances into London or to second homes.

With much less traffic around it was very easy to be in central London at 8am from home in Bournemouth or Bristol.

Necessary in world where hardly anyone had “important meetings, made key decisions, or signed purchase orders by phone. You drove.

When cars still really did need servicing at 3,000 or 6,000.

Now, 50,000 miles a year back then - that was serious commercial travelling.

M20/M26/M25/M40
CLK with M271
I really wasn’t pushing it, and was slowed down by heavy traffic around that London
Happier days 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻IMG_2507_Original.jpeg

I’m guessing you don’t drive much on smart motorways?
I do, a lot. The HADECS 3 installations are easy to spot. There are no cameras in the gantry boxes over the lanes, just the speed limit illuminated signs. Traffic permitting, 85 is perfectly achievable if you keep alert and concentrate on what you're doing.
We've now learned that EVs are too slow for those prone to prolixity who need all their time to write lengthy posts about not doing something.
There seem to be rather a lot of EV enthusiasts with too much time on their hands as well...

It's an interesting thread, this, and another thing it rather illustrates is that EV enthusiasts tend to regard anybody who is not of their perversion persuasion (I blame auto-correct... :D) as an EV-hater.

Last edited:
There seem to be rather a lot of EV enthusiasts with too much time on their hands as well...
EVs are best suited to the retired....
It's an interesting thread, this, and another thing it rather illustrates is that EV enthusiasts tend to regard anybody who is not of their perversion persuasion (I blame auto-correct... :D) as an EV-hater.
Yep, pile drivers in more ways than one.

Hopefully considered sort of on topic I had a go on one of these at the weekend
Maeving

My BIL has one. It was actually very nice to ride. Power delivery was good, decent turn of speed and they actually look quite nice, though it sort of felt a bit low budget which surprised me. Also the centre of gravity was quite high which again surprised me, as I think a low c of g for a commuter bike is more ideal (Thinking of how my Vespa handles compared to the Ducati). The range is fine for local commuting which is what my BIL uses it for. But as a vehicle to get from A to B with no drama it was perfectly ok. Would I have one? Possibly. But it did get me thinking about EVs in general.

Would i consider the Maeving to replace an ICE bike that I also used for pleasure? Absolutely not because it just doesn’t have the drama of the noise and vibration etc which for me is a big part of the experience (irrespective of performance, I get just as much joy on a wheezy single cylinder thumper)

Would I consider one as a means of commuting A to B though? Yes, for that it makes a lot of sense and I can see the appeal.

So for me the challenge would be trying to get an EV to replace an ICE that I used principally for pleasure

What did we do for pleasure before the invention of the ICE though? :)

What did we do for pleasure before the invention of the ICE though? :)
Steam! 😀. I have some steam powered things as well.

EVs are best suited to the retired....

Round our way they seem to be best suited to those that don't like car culture but are doing well enough to have a company car. The fact that absolutely none of them can charge (easily) at home doesn't seem to stop the inexorable rise of white Tesla blobs appearing (three in a row round the corner!) presumably because they charge FOC at the work office perhaps... So, no, they seem to be the first choice of the company car tax payer not the retired.

Round our way they seem to be best suited to those that don't like car culture but are doing well enough to have a company car. The fact that absolutely none of them can charge (easily) at home doesn't seem to stop the inexorable rise of white Tesla blobs appearing (three in a row round the corner!) presumably because they charge FOC at the work office perhaps... So, no, they seem to be the first choice of the company car tax payer not the retired.

The Tesla is a bit of an odd one out.... it does have fan club, but the fans are more akin to Apple aficionados than to petrolheads.

But in general, yes I agree, at current new EVs are mostly bought by business users due to the tax breaks (again, bar some of the Tesla owners).

Jeez, how long does it take people to work out that company cars are usually bought by company car companies because of the tax breaks, and that most most private purchases in the UK are small to medium sized hatchbacks / SUV’s?

Do people not look at the world around them?

When I bought a low mileage 7 year old £100k CL500 for £20k, its background / provenance seemed pretty obvious to me.

Seriously, people don’t really think that S500’s are bought privately by Brits? Do they? At these prices?

Who’d put £40k - of their own money - down for an ugly, large, lardy rather dull hatchback, with clumsy chubbyweight handling, even if they can plug it in every night, so they start each new day with 250+ miles in the tank at £0.04 per mile?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom