• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

63 Reg E350 Estate ABS Issues

Dooheid

Car
Range Rover P38, Citroen Berlingo, Citroen C4, Jaguar XK8 4.2
Good evening genteel people. I have a query I "am" trying to get to the bottom of an unusual issue.

It revolves around a 63 plate Mercedes Benz E350 estate. Said vehicle had a rather explosive blowout on the rear right tyre, resulting in a bit of damage.

The owner tried to repair wires with scotchloks and tape :-(

Then I was called upon to see what was wrong. Apart from the scotchloks, glue and general bodging, it was discovered the ABS system was not happy. Rear right wheel showing 5000mph!! I know it's a fast car, but c'mon : D

Anyway, I repaired the wires with solder & heat-shrink, cable tied the broken parts to hold wires tight, replaced both ABS sensor and pickup ring. But we're still showing WC54 (right rear axle rpm sensor has a short to positive).

I know all parts are brand new, were correctly installed by me and bolted in place, etc.

The only thing I had no control over was the previous attempts to "fix" the car after the blowout. Now behind the rear wheel arch cover (also slightly damaged) is a small multi-bloc connector box where the plugs for each sensor attaches. It was unharmed, but I can't say with any authority if the plugs have been replaced in the correct port?!

Imagine if you will, the box sits around 2 o'clock if facing the wheel arch from the side. There are 4 ports, top to bottom. I found the top port to have the ABS sensor plugged in, the port underneath was empty, the following two ports contain the brake pad wear indicator and suspension height sensor (I had to replace the airbag too as it was leaking). So I can only imagine either the bloc was damaged (there is no indication whatsoever) or the previous attempt to fix the ABS sensor by glueing it in place, was because it got ripped out, did they plug it in the wrong port!

It's all I have. Everything else has been replaced or (correctly) repaired. But the ABS light remains resolutely ON. As you can imagine it is very frustrating. I have a little knowledge of CanBus, and I have checked any other possibilities, but I have been assured that there were no dash lights until the tyre blew. It would have been better if it had come to me 1st as I would have known not to bodge it. My slight worry is a damaged SAMS, but that would show up on the code reading with other implausible faults. There are none?!

Anyone shine a light on what I'm not seeing?

Thank you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom