7g gearbox frustration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I quite like the engine in my S63, but the MCT gearbox is not great. I can see what they tried to do with the wet clutch, but I’d rather have a normal auto.

I quite like the engine in my S63, but the MCT gearbox is not great. I can see what they tried to do with the wet clutch, but I’d rather have a normal auto.

You own a car with an engine you quite like and a gearbox that you feel is not great :confused:

You own a car with an engine you quite like and a gearbox that you feel is not great :confused:

Just how I felt about my E55. The engine is sublime and overcame the sluggishness of the gearbox.

Quite like and sublime are two different meanings!

Personally I thought the gearbox was perfectly normal and responsive for my liking in the 55.

When I personally buy a car I want to really like the engine and want a gearbox that works for me. We are all different I suppose and have different levels of benefits that suits are needs!

Interesting reading some of these.
I've had an M3 with DCT, an RS3 with DSG and two C63's with the wet clutch 7G.
With everything turned up to 10 the M3 banged gears home so hard on manual changes, first time I used it in anger I thought I'd broken something :D.
It was excellent in manual - the problem I found was that it was sometimes jerky and often selected the wrong gear in auto, for instance when I wanted to get out of a junction quick.
2 software updates didn't resolve the problem.

The RS3 was similar - less jerky in traffic, but particularly in corners when you wanted to get on the power early, if the gearbox was in auto it felt like the car couldn't decide what to do and there was an obvious delay.
The other feature was it occasionally made a nasty noise on cruise - which the dealer said was "normal" but didn't convince me!
Have since heard of several of the S3/RS3 gearboxes go pop.

In a drag race, the DCT/DSG cars will bang through the gears quicker for sure, but for a day to day car I actually prefer the C63 box, just feels smoother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom