• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

8 Cylinder Glow Plug Control Unit

Bobbysmerc

Car
ML420 W164
Guys, I have searched numerous threads and couldn’t find a definitive answer, don’t shoot me down if I missed something.

I have been searching the wide web for a replacement Glow Plug Control Unit for the 8 Cylinder W164 ML420 - A6291530679, both Beru and Champion have no stock, yes there is one listed in Europe for about £800 inc postage, but listed as a used part with a dubious / no guarantee. Whilst there will be some that say they have a rare as hens teeth part so can charge what they like - fair enough.

Has anyone found someone to recondition these units or has the vehicle become a large paper weight?

I have looked at and tried (with an old unit I have) the replacement of the power supply wires to copper as one of the members posted previously but that hasn’t resolved my issue. My issue appears to be bank 3 only, and not power source as the repair posted appears to be the sort for loss of power supply, any suggestions, as otherwise a great big bus that’s had tons spent on it- lol.
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Bob

Do you have a link to that repair post that you were referring to?

The current products usually fail at the output side of the control unit. They have bond wires from the "circuit board" to the connector pins towards each glow plug and these wires fail from a short circuited glow plug. Aluminium wires hard to fit but can be replaced with a wire from an old ceramic fuse (appropriate amperage to maintain protection for the control unit output stage and not too thin to withstand the current for a working glow plug.

Do you have a link to that repair post that you were referring to?

The current products usually fail at the output side of the control unit. They have bond wires from the "circuit board" to the connector pins towards each glow plug and these wires fail from a short circuited glow plug. Aluminium wires hard to fit but can be replaced with a wire from an old ceramic fuse (appropriate amperage to maintain protection for the control unit output stage and not too thin to withstand the current for a working glow plug.
Thanks, I’ll find the link and post it - it’s going to be a job for a good solderer- I’ll give it a try, but don’t know if my eyesight and soldering skills will be up to it - cheers Bob

OK, I think I understand your point on the repair video. The failure however is very similar on the output side (connector towards each glow plug) as it is on the power input side. Perhaps just a bit tighter space to work on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom