996 Turbo to an SL400

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Troutman

Car
E280 CDi
I currently have a mint 996 Turbo (14k miles) Black /red leather , manual etc. It's a fantastic car but i've always wanted an SL (R230) as I never liked the R231 but now I do and from what I've read, the 400 might be the best all round option (tax on the 500 is like £700+)
Question is do I go for a R231 SL350 (na 3.5 V6) or the 400 (tt 3.0 V6) ..I've read on here that some of you have had the 400 tuned as well to give 996 Turbo like power , can the 350 be "sorted out" or is it fine from the factory? It is a good bit cheaper than the 400 , like for like.
I've discovered I'm getting old and a more comfy . luxurious GT car appeals to me now, my other car is a 2006 E280 Cdi Estate...fantastic thing.

Why not go for the 55 AMG variant ? a lot more things as standard.

What do you use this "second car" for, if it's only done 14k miles in 20 years?

Might sound facetious, but some get used for track days, and some just "look fabulous." On both counts, an SL63 makes a strong case for itself

In terms of overall cost of ownership, a few hundred quid extra RFL on an SL500 or SL63 is insignificant compared to the capital tied up, the depreciation, the insurance and cost of fuel. (Especially if you don't use it for five months of the year.)

As above, plus its probably going to be Sorn for 6 months, so your tax is halved
As for your Porsche are you keeping it pristine with an ultra low mileage for the next owner. Its an easy trap to fall into, ask me why I know:rolleyes:

I must admit that i was also surprised at the road tax post 2006, so i just sourced myself a pre 2006 SL, I did look at the 350, but all things considered it didn't make a lot of sense to me to short change myself of the extra 2 cylinders !! Just because ....
They both perform similarly and have roughly the same MPG ( Not that you would be looking at the MPG for an older 3.5+ litre cars ) but the 500 has more low end grunt.
If you want to have your faced peeled off get the SL55 / 63, they really are amazing, but if like me, you want a comfortable grand tourer with some oomph then the 350 or 500 will be perfect ( 500 is slightly better and i believe has a stronger engine )
Just remembered something important! The SL500 R230 has ABC the 350 did not ..... this can be a bit of a bone of contention and expensive to correct ( I know! ) But once up and running it works very well indeed.

I've had a 997 Turbo, R230 SL500 and 55 plus a R231 SL63 5.5.... what I will say is you'll miss the 911, the SL and 911 are totally different cars.... The SL is a refined cruiser and a 350,400 or 500 will get no where near a 911 Turbo, the 55 and 63 are great cars but as I say totally different to a 911 but will be close.

I'd recommend trying both the 55 and 63 and compare to your 911 as they do get down the road but in a totally different way.

The 911 Turbo is also 4 wheel drive and a totally different drive, As i mentioned I've had 4 different SL's, and many AMG's but i'm now back in a 911 and being my 5th....

Tax (RFL) on the R231 SL500 is not over £700 but £415.

To answer your original question having had the 350 n/a v6 in my E350 E class coupe and now the 3.5v6tt in the E400 coupe, get the latter.

The torque is 30% more and from nigh on zero revs. It is a much more responsive as well as powerful, engine.
It's silly fast in the real world.

And yes the 333bhp they quote (closer to 350 when tested) can be upped apparently to 420bhp and as much torque as a C63 from a straightforward stage 1 remap.

However as per the others, the extra £30 a month you'll pay in tax, if you're not doing too many miles will get you a 500 (with the ante upped as regards soundtrack) or even a 55....

But then, I have just also bought an SLK55....

Thanks for the replies everyone.
I bought the Turbo with 8k miles 2 years ago (was in a collection) so I've done a few with it but I don't drive for the sake of it and only the summer.
The 400 appears to have plenty of torque and easily fast enough for British roads , I understand it's not a sports car but I don't want that, before Covid we used to take the overnight Newcastle ferry to Holland and drive around Germany , Denmark , Poland and Norway ...loved it but not done it for a while although we are taking the Turbo to Sweden in a few weeks and hope to start going annually again, first trip we didi was in my Boxster then a Cayman S and now the Turbo , just thought am SL might be way more comfortable now we're getting on a bit (55)
I'll see how I get on in Sweden with the Turbo and make a decision after that but honestly i don't need SL55/63 amounts of thrust and the costs involved, I'm trying to be sensible here. I very nearly bought R230 facelift SL63 from Cameron but took the Speed Yellow Cayman S instead , that had the proper 6.2 na V8..what an engine.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
I bought the Turbo with 8k miles 2 years ago (was in a collection) so I've done a few with it but I don't drive for the sake of it and only the summer.
The 400 appears to have plenty of torque and easily fast enough for British roads , I understand it's not a sports car but I don't want that, before Covid we used to take the overnight Newcastle ferry to Holland and drive around Germany , Denmark , Poland and Norway ...loved it but not done it for a while although we are taking the Turbo to Sweden in a few weeks and hope to start going annually again, first trip we didi was in my Boxster then a Cayman S and now the Turbo , just thought am SL might be way more comfortable now we're getting on a bit (55)
I'll see how I get on in Sweden with the Turbo and make a decision after that but honestly i don't need SL55/63 amounts of thrust and the costs involved, I'm trying to be sensible here. I very nearly bought R230 facelift SL63 from Cameron but took the Speed Yellow Cayman S instead , that had the proper 6.2 na V8..what an engine.
I’ve got a 996 Carrera 4S and there’s no way I’d swap it for the car you’re describing. If I was you I’d keep the Porsche and have it alongside the Merc.

I’m a couple of years older than you.

Excellent decision the sl will NEVER provide the thrill of driving that your 911 does.

I went back to look at the 400 last night..what a car for the money. I mean I'm not looking to get a car to match the 911 for road manners etc , this car will only be used for big trips in the Summer , for £30k you can get a peachy one.
I'm not giving up on an SL just yet , I know which my wife would prefer and that's more than half the battle won already
I like the fact that a simple ECU tune can get it up to serious power and torque levels for not a huge expense , it's good on fuel and tax isn't too bad either. I'm semi retired and have to watch the pennies now , I was foolish in my youth and didn't really get a pension set up although I have great memories.
The only thing I don't like about it is the rear end, looks too feminine to me , the previous R230 was spot on and still looks good to me but the new one? ..it's those massive lights I think.

Too many issues with the R230 500 and 55's for my liking.
I'd keep the Porsche all day long.
What makes you think a 996 is reliable? Owners tell a different story

If you’re simply using it for big trips in the Summer, I’m impressed that your wife can get all her touring holiday kit into that tiny little 911 boot (100 litres: just one fifth of the capacity of an SL400)

Well done that woman !

Tax and fuel? Irrelevant compared to maintenance and repairs you can expect on a 996 Turbo.

Summarise your annual budget for running costs to see what it will really cost you. A few hundred here or there is nothing compared to a big repair bill.

The 911 is an enthusiast’s driving car, for sure. But it comes with many disadvantages and it isn’t that comfortable if you’re touring and maybe doing 500 miles a day. Great keyring though

IMG_3814.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom