• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

New family car - what to try next?

Just catching up with the thread...Obviously you should buy MB... eventually...

Two thoughts: prices are already softening, thanks to a great flush of new cars having got past the supply chain constipation. 250k vehicles being registered this month alone. And the enormous interest rate jump is forcing people to look at prices and running costs again.

Just to throw some light on requirement, why isn't Jaguar on your list ? Or premium Audi ?

As an example. Deceased Spec with an unattainable overoptimistic price

Screenshot 2023-09-24 at 14.06.12.png

Would benefit from the petrol V8, though it is an E6 car.

That's my car, though mine's pre stuck-on iPad. It came after a remapped diesel V6 the same. It certainly does benefit from the petrol V8... ;)

Last edited:
Not that keen on Audis, I've had a few in my time. Jaguars look nice, especially the interior, but strike me as unreliable overall.

I'll probably end up with another Mercedes, not much a hardship.
I'd prefer a petrol car. I haven't had the pleasure of owning a V8, so I'd like to rectify that at some point.
Thought a E6, Ulez compatible one would be the most sensible choice. The 400d would be my choice if it is to be a derv drinker.
I did consider the CLA shooting brake, but from reading people's feedback, they seem to be a buzz box with a 2.0 4 cylinder engine that's trying to hard with suspension that is more Audi than Mercedes.

I have the luxury of waiting for the right one, so I will.

That red cls350 is very nice
To be EU6 does it have AD Blu?

Didn't some manage it without, or am I wrong?

I had a friend who went from generally having BMW's all his driving life to a jaguar. It lasted 6 weeks and he was back in a BMW. The build quality isn't on the same level as German stuff unfortunately but they are a nice looking car. I personally don't think you can better German cars overall.

JLR call me but I am not convinced by their quality. MB or Audi next time for me

I wouldn't mind a Morgan Super 3 :-)

Update
I bought a 440i GC with adaptive LED headlights, HUD, HK in dark blue. BMW approved used.
Already bought some winter wheels shod with Michelin Alpins.
Goes well and is comfortable. Engine is very nice and makes a nice noise when extended, good to be back in a petrol powered car.

Update
I bought a 440i GC with adaptive LED headlights, HUD, HK in dark blue. BMW approved used.

Good choice :thumb:

Was contemplating replacing mine last year but was struggling to find what to actually replace it with , so it is a keeper until i win the lottery.

K

I suspected that might be the case as there were none in your initial list. SUVs and especially very fast SUVs are very Marmite, personally I wouldn’t have one.
I don’t mind admitting I’m a big fan of them. I loved BMW 3 series touring and owned a few 325’s and 328’s. However, when our kids were younger my wife found it a pain getting them in and out of the car - and we’ve had a few dogs for years, currently 4.

So we switched to SUV’s in 2005 and have owned them since. Grand Cherokee for 11 years, and then two BMW X5’s. We’re about to move to a Range Rover as the prices have reduced dramatically.

I don’t mind admitting I’m a big fan of them. I loved BMW 3 series touring and owned a few 325’s and 328’s. However, when our kids were younger my wife found it a pain getting them in and out of the car - and we’ve had a few dogs for years, currently 4.

So we switched to SUV’s in 2005 and have owned them since. Grand Cherokee for 11 years, and then two BMW X5’s. We’re about to move to a Range Rover as the prices have reduced dramatically.
Be sure to check the insurance cost if you're considering a RR - many owners have been shocked at renewal time.
Also ensure that the keyless entry has been updated and consider additional security. They're very popular with thieves and are easy to steal.

They are becoming almost uninsurable in some postcodes!

Be sure to check the insurance cost if you're considering a RR - many owners have been shocked at renewal time.
Also ensure that the keyless entry has been updated and consider additional security. They're very popular with thieves and are easy to steal.
That’s one of the reasons they are so cheap! I got a quote and it’s fine 👍

I don’t mind admitting I’m a big fan of them.
Me too, fast SUVs are my thing despite being unpopular! My comment about not having one was a silly joke to myself, because I wouldn’t have just one.

If the insurance is good for you then they’re a bargain right now 👍🏻

I heard on a podcast this week - although I forget which - that only 12 of the new Range Rover and 13 of the new Range Rover Sport have been stolen since launch, and that it’s the previous generation which is suffering with thefts.

Not sure how credible the source is but I thought that was quite interesting. If true, then I’m curious whether insurance premiums for the new models have been hiked too - based on comments I’ve read and heard online, it seems they have.

I heard on a podcast this week - although I forget which - that only 12 of the new Range Rover and 13 of the new Range Rover Sport have been stolen since launch, and that it’s the previous generation which is suffering with thefts.

Not sure how credible the source is but I thought that was quite interesting. If true, then I’m curious whether insurance premiums for the new models have been hiked too - based on comments I’ve read and heard online, it seems they have.

The insurance quotes will be lagged. They have to wait to see how the claims actually go. It's the nature of the trade.

Tea leaves learn fast. The tech has changed.... so thieves have to up their game. And they will.

Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 13.47.07.png

The value makes a huge difference too as I found out when I insured a motorcycle that cost £21k. Insurance companies have not caught up to the fact that they now cost more than £20k and I had real trouble getting it insured (I discovered that £20k was a cut off point).

The bike got nicked within 2 months and was replaced with a £10k bike - no problem at all with insurance.

The Range Rover I have put a deposit on is a 2013, and they cost around £30k just a couple of years ago. I’m paying £19k. I believe that’s the reason insurance is not a problem for me. That, and I live just outside the M25.

Also, the keyless entry (which makes theft easy) can be turned off, and I will do that straight away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom