A broken white line...

A broken white line:

• marks the centre of the road. When the line lengthens and the gaps shorten there is a hazard ahead.

Votes: 105 76.1%
  • marks the centre of the road. When the line shortens and the gaps lengthens there is a hazard ahead.

Votes: 12 8.7%
  • marks the centre of the road. The line lengh is 1.5m on >60mph roads, 1m <60mph

Votes: 21 15.2%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A question from me. Look at this Google StreetView image.

warwick - Google Maps

I travel on this road quite often and want to turn right at the next roadabout.
There is usually a long queue of traffic on this road, mostly going straight ahead.
As you get closer the road splits in to two lanes. I want the right hand lane which is empty.
Ignoring the white van coming towards me am I allowed to pass through the junction box for oncoming traffic turning right, if safe to do so?

warwick - Google Maps

There is usually a long queue of traffic on this road, mostly going straight ahead.
As you get closer the road splits in to two lanes. I want the right hand lane which is empty.
Ignoring the white van coming towards me am I allowed to pass through the junction box for oncoming traffic turning right, if safe to do so?

Definitely not I would say.

On the basis that the area is bordered by broken lines, then technically yes, subject to the dual justification of it being both necessary and safe to do so. Not sure how you'd convince a traffic officer that what you'd just done was necessary, though.

To enforce the stronger condition of it being acceptable only in an emergency, the border on your side would need to be a solid one.

...so a biker can cross a solid white line to overtake all vehicles waiting at traffic lights................? discuss :D
Personally, I wouldn't - and I don't - for the reason given by Mr E, i.e. it may be difficult to argue the presence of necessity.

However, I will filter down the outside of a line of cars held at a red light if I can do so without crossing a solid white line, in other words if there is room for me to pass between the cars and the line. Many drivers confuse not crossing a solid white line with a prohibition on overtaking or passing, but the prohibitions are not one and the same.

I would say no - the chevron box starts with a solid white line. The statute says you can't cross it.

At the right-turn junction box earlier on the road you can see that the chevrons are unbounded from the direction of travel so you could do as yiu suggested there.

No, because I don't think that is what the statute says. It says that you must not cross the solid white line "if it is safe to do so and if necessary to do so -

(a) to enable the vehicle to enter, from the side of the road on which it is proceeding, land or premises adjacent to the length of road on which the line is placed, or another road joining that road;" (The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002)

From your link:

(6) Nothing in paragraph (2)(b) shall be taken to prohibit a vehicle from being driven across, or so as to straddle, the continuous line referred to in that paragraph, if it is safe to do so and if necessary to do so -

(b) in order to pass a stationary vehicle;
There is nothing there (or in the Highway Code) which states 'if necessary' with respect to overtaking.

warwick - Google Maps

No. A car ahead of you may be waiting to enter that lane as it splits, under the assumption that he will be clear to do so. You better be very very careful...or it could be an accident waiting to happen.

Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.

:D

Last edited:
Yes, OK, there is an necessary in there. However, I read it to mean you can cross the line if necessary to overtake a stationary vehicle (ie: don't cross the line if you can overtake without crossing the line).

So, same thing: you can, to the word of the Highway Code, overtake a row of cars waiting at a traffic lights.......can you......?

No.(Unless you're in an ambulance).

yes, ok, there is an necessary in there. However, i read it to mean you can cross the line if necessary to overtake a stationary vehicle (ie: Don't cross the line if you can overtake without crossing the line).

So, same thing: You can, to the word of the highway code, overtake a row of cars waiting at a traffic lights.......can you......?

no

another Q if that's OK: When turning right at this mini-roundabout.

cubbington - Google Maps

95% of cars either drive over the painted circle or by-pass it completly, keeping right of the circle. Is this OK or not?

ps. The junction is smaller and tighter than the camera angle makes it appear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom