• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

A Class - what are they like?

ChrisHGTV

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E250 Avantgarde Estate, Alfa GTV V6, Vespa, Ducati, many bicycles...
Hello all

Thinking of moving the little Abarth 500 on to get something a bit more comfy for my wife. We’ve had it years and its done over 130k miles now - will be sad to see it go, it’s a hoot.

I’ve been looking at all sorts but an A class seems to fit the bill. Has to be an auto and petrol, looking around about a 2017 give or take.

I love my S212 but it’s not been the most reliable, how is the A?

My wife is quite hard on interiors (filthy from boot camps etc) - would need to be leather, but does the A generally get leather or is it Shartico?

Many thanks!

If you're looking at cars from around 2017 you'll be looking at the W176 platform. I've only ever driven them as dealer loan cars when I had my W212's serviced and was always very underwhelmed. Gruff engines and a so-so ride for a premium price. A contemporary Golf totally outclasses them, imo.

I've owned a W177 A-Class from 2019 (when they first came out), and they're light years better than the W176 that preceded it. The downside from your perspective is that the seats are only available as half Artico / half Dynamica so might not be good for your wife, but it drives well, is much more refined than the W176 and the interior is quite a nice place to be. Ground clearance can be a bit limited though so they're not good going over rough stuff.

Without fail, every single road test of the A class comments on the gruff Renault engine. They are said to be acceptable if the revs are kept down but it's far from a class leading engine. The A class/Golf is the size of car I will looking to change to next and it's a shame but the A class will not be on the short list. I suspect it sells on image and the interior which is often praised.

Without fail, every single road test of the A class comments on the gruff Renault engine.
That was certainly true of the W176, but not so much the W177. You should try one out.

It's a pity that the 2L Mercedes engine is now only available in the A35 & A45 variants though. I have it in 195bhp form in my A220 and it makes for a good blend of performance and economy.

Without fail, every single road test of the A class comments on the gruff Renault engine. They are said to be acceptable if the revs are kept down but it's far from a class leading engine. The A class/Golf is the size of car I will looking to change to next and it's a shame but the A class will not be on the short list. I suspect it sells on image and the interior which is often praised.

I spent a few years travelling about in hire cars.

I used to deliberately request the (W177) A-Class when it was available as my preferred vehicle. Golf is not bad. But I preferred the A Class. My only niggle was that the 7 speed auto was a bit variable - about a third of the cars I used would scrabble when pulling away in wet conditions and required a bit of care / sensitivity on the right foot - as if there was a bite point issue. On the road once moving they were fine.

I thought both the petrol and diesel variants were fine - though I preferred the diesel because of the economy / range.

We had an A200d from new… 2016 car and had no problems nor complaints with it. It was powerful enough, great on fuel and rfl fee. Had enough room inside for the two of us, my only niggle was that I managed to bump my head most times getting in, am 5’10 so not tall either.
It was Jupiter red and had great paint work in the three years or more that we owned it.
Personally I preferred the B200

Thanks for the pointers all. Seems like a later one is the one to go for maybe. I’m trying to avoid the Golf! I’ve had them as hire cars and they are super. But it’s a Golf and just mind numbingly bland. I don’t have to drive it but I do have to clean it!

Girl I know had an A class , failed it's MOT due to the normal Mercedes issue , written rear sub frame.
Seeing as I have an S212 maybe two cars in the household with dubious subframes would be a bit much! It’s a strange World when the Alfa in the household would potentially be the least rust prone! 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom