• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

£4000 reliable mercedes?

Motivated seller, 10% price drop within a week of listing it.... But needs an MoT now.

Geriatric first owner until last year, by the look of it, then 10k with the 2nd owner who's flipping it.

If it's as described, worth a train ride.

But no one goes broke by delaying spending money.

It is a great find. But my days of spending 4h on a train to view a car that, upon inspection, is clearly being sold by either a liar or a moron or both (i.e. a trader) are long over! (I know this limits my pool but I just cannot face the fairly high risk of disappointment any longer - or the temptation to buy it anyway as 'I've come so far', which what I think a lot of traders rely on)

That’s going to be a painful carriage in 2024.

Would the fuel economy on a 2.0 petrol Honda automatic justify the £4300 purchase price though also?

Car looks tidy though! :)

30+ mpg is fine. Reliability is No1 concern for me

It is a great find. But my days of spending 4h on a train to view a car that, upon inspection, is clearly being sold by either a liar or a moron or both (i.e. a trader) are long over! (I know this limits my pool but I just cannot face the fairly high risk of disappointment any longer - or the temptation to buy it anyway as 'I've come so far', which what I think a lot of traders rely on)

If you want a local car spotted this on ebay.

2003 ML 270 cdi mot until Sept in Kingston Park or North Gosforth as estate agents like to call it. Ad says 1 owner for last 12 years, pretty clean MOT history for an old car. This era of ML is body on frame and has the 5 pot om612 motor, auto & cruise.

Downside needs an injector bolt re- threading but as i am sure you know we are lucky in the NE to have Staithes Garage in Dunston who should be able to sort that for a fair price. Auction currently at £550. One to consider possibly.

ml270k.jpg

I was referring more to the double digit 0-60 time.

Perhaps not an issue but it’s insanely slow in 2024 and I thought surprisingly slow for a 2.0 petrol VTEC engine.

You’d probably save a couple of £k per year on the fuel bill in the Honda but once you pay out the extra £365 to tax a second vehicle, plus the MOT/servicing/insurance costs for running a second car you might not save an awful lot. And that’s ignoring the upfront £4300 purchase price.

Might take couple of years to break even driving the grandadmobile! ;)

If you want a local car spotted this on ebay.

2003 ML 270 cdi mot until Sept in Kingston Park or North Gosforth as estate agents like to call it. Ad says 1 owner for last 12 years, pretty clean MOT history for an old car. This era of ML is body on frame and has the 5 pot om612 motor, auto & cruise.

Downside needs an injector bolt re- threading but as i am sure you know we are lucky in the NE to have Staithes Garage in Dunston who should be able to sort that for a fair price. Auction currently at £550. One to consider possibly.

Yeah that's estate agents and used car traders for you 🤦

Sadly that car is riddled with rust so not suitable for me. Thanks for looking through 👍

Light entertainment on the subject of the Honda Accord. Their prizewinning advert: "The Cog."

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

@philnewmerc How do you go from saying EVs are slow to then considering a car with a 10s 0-60? 😧 I’m disappointed :D
Bait taken lol:
1) A £4k EV will be similar I reckon :)
2) Besides, an old Accord can cruise at 80 mph easily for hours, i.e. about 50% faster than the typical motorway max speed of an EV (if you want to get there without charging every 60 minutes that is) 😂.

How about a C207 E class coupe? You can fin those online for £4k upwards. I got a 2011 250 CDI for a bit more and thats been great apart from a problem caused by an incompetent garage doing a minor job on it.

It's quiet, comfortable and looks very acceptable for an older car. 50mpg on mine

Ended up with a Hyundai i30 1.6 diesel to keep me going for a year while business is getting going and I need cheap reliable transport. Feels just like my old Golf, but better build quality lol. Chain cam, cruise, air con, aux in, very happy with it ☺️
Thanks for all the advice. I'll no doubt be back in a year or 2 seeking old MB luxo barge advice 👍👍👍

Ended up with a Hyundai i30 1.6 diesel to keep me going for a year while business is getting going and I need cheap reliable transport. Feels just like my old Golf, but better build quality lol. Chain cam, cruise, air con, aux in, very happy with it ☺️
Thanks for all the advice. I'll no doubt be back in a year or 2 seeking old MB luxo barge advice 👍👍👍
Welcome to the 1.6 Diesel fraternity! Top speed and acceleration are becoming less and less significant in todays traffic.

Agreed....but I might have to draw the line at 108 horses and 0 to 60 in 11.1......imo that borderline dangerously slow in today's traffic unless it lives in the city. My daily is only a 2.0d......but 170 horse and 8.6 seconds is more acceptable me....and I still get 50 plus mpg on the open road...43 on my mixed comute.

I really like the SBC on the CLS as holding it on hills etc is a piece of cake with SBC Hold function. However, if it ever goes wrong I will be the first person to curse its existence!
Wasn't aware that the CLS had SBC?

Brake hold was available without needing SBC, my facelift E-Class had brake hold but not SBC.

Last edited:
Agreed....but I might have to draw the line at 108 horses and 0 to 60 in 11.1......imo that borderline dangerously slow in today's traffic unless it lives in the city. My daily is only a 2.0d......but 170 horse and 8.6 seconds is more acceptable me....and I still get 50 plus mpg on the open road...43 on my mixed comute.
I am OK then with 118 horses and 0-62 10.5 sec. Torque 221.
Off the line is tardy until you get used to it but in gear acceleration is good.
I did a 1400 mile trip to Burgundy and a 500 mile trip to Shropshire and saw upper 50s mpg on both so well pleased.

Must be the later version of the one I googled!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom