• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

A180 Cdi

mercboiuk

MB Enthusiast
Car
1995 E320 Coupe
I had a repair to my gearbox on my E320 for a couple of days this week. Whilst the car was a the Merc Dealer, they gave me a new A180 CDI to get me around for those days.
During that time I covered 250 miles on most types or roads, and (as it happens) in most types of weather!

I must say it gets my thumbs up! You can see the quality improvements from the previous generation A-Class (I've not owned one, but have driven/been passenger in them).

It was an Avantgarde spec car, with half leather, 6-speed manual gearbox, leather trimmed wheel, Bluetooth phone (for some reason disabled), 6-CD changer, nice spoked-design alloys (similar to those on the W203 coupe Evolution pack), and it had "city" steering.

It was a lovely drive, handled very well. The gearbox was excellent, compared to early Merc manuals. It has a short, precise throw, although the clutch wasn't great. It felt a little spongy.
The seats were extremely comfortable, and the interior, spacious.

The 2.0 diesel (109bhp in the A180) was a little noisy at cruising speeds, but acceleration was adequate. Does anyone know if the 2.0 diesel engine in the A160, A180 and A200 are turbo charger, or N/A? I didn't notice any turbo, aurally or physically :confused:

A downside of my particular car was the lack of a head lamp wash wipe. I'm surprised this would be optional of an Avantgarde spec car. It was wet and dirty during my ownership of the car, so the headlamps got dirty very quickly, leaving very dim headlamps, so a headlamp wash would have been very handy!
There was only one other downside to the car I found. The side mirrors were blocked slightly by the rear flanks of the car, and I could not see the front of the car - a bit annoying, had I needed to parallel park.

All things considered, an excellent car - and a welcome return to quality Mercedes products :rock:

Darren

Yes it does have a turbo; in fact all the A class diesels do. The 180cdi is the best all-rounder in my view giving a sensible blend of cost and performance. My wife has the Avantgarde and I have the Elegance. Eldest daughter has just bought a 180cdi Avantgarde too. And my brother has a 160cdi.

Glad you liked it. I too think it is a big step forward from the earlier model. I meant to buy an E and an A but did 3000 miles round Europe in the A and thought what the hell, have two of these.

Last edited:
I have an A180 CDi Elegance 3 door, bi xenon fitted, which does have an automatic spray cleaning system. Panoramic sun roof, gold colour so it don't show dirt so easily & it's brilliant!!

Got it with 4 1/2 k miles on it for £13.5K 18 months old.

We Love it!!

I have an A180 CDi Elegance 3 door, bi xenon fitted, which does have an automatic spray cleaning system. Panoramic sun roof, gold colour so it don't show dirt so easily & it's brilliant!!

Got it with 4 1/2 k miles on it for £13.5K 18 months old.

We Love it!!
Nice spec. Sounds a bargain at that price!

I have an A160CDI with just about every conceivable extra (including one or two non standard ones;) ) except digital climate and Xenons. Its a great little car that is so cheap to run.

I'll keep it for a long time to come just because of its practicality. It means I wont put too many miles on my C63 when I eventually get one after they have taken the big depreciation hit.

Thanks Alfie for reminding me of the cheapness of running it. Road fund License £135 & of course Diesel economy, off set against the extra £27.00 p.a. belt & braces insurance.

Confess to wishing for a few extra toys but can't have it all, now with 8k miles on it since we bought it may & show just under 8k miles until it's first service!!

Resurrecting an old thread since we have helped our daughter to purchase her first car, a 2006 A180CDI Avantgarde. Strange thing is that the parking sensors do not have a visual display nor the switch to disable them below the radio as documented in the user manual. Is this a retrofit? Previous owners had purchased it as an approved used car from MB dealer so might this be a dealer fitted option?

Sounds like a retrofit of some description. Factory version has visual display front and rear. Presumably it makes a noise if you are about to hit something?

Yes, it make all the right audio sounds, but missing the visual and the on/off switch on the dash to disable the parking sensors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom