ABS failure - safe to travel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

firstmercedes

Car
C220 Sport Cdi Auto blue efficiency W204
I’ve had a tyre pressure check warning on ignition for the past few days which repeats after about 15 minutes driving. Have checked pressures and seem okay. Today had ABS and run flat indicator fail warning on ignition so have booked into garage in a weeks time. I really need to do a round trip of around 80 miles before then and think this should be okay if I take it steady. What do you think? Should I find alternative transport? Thanks.

I’ve had a tyre pressure check warning on ignition for the past few days which repeats after about 15 minutes driving. Have checked pressures and seem okay. Today had ABS and run flat indicator fail warning on ignition so have booked into garage in a weeks time. I really need to do a round trip of around 80 miles before then and think this should be okay if I take it steady. What do you think? Should I find alternative transport? Thanks.
Back in the day we had cars without ABS, traction control, and runflat tyres.
Honestly , we really did. Hard to believe but true. We even drove these death traps on a daily basis.

I doubt if the ABS would even kick in during normal driving.

It may be just ABS wheel sensor that's packed up, common problem and very cheap fix.
You may need an ICarsoft reader to tell you which one it is though, unless it's told you the wheel with the low pressure warning.
Search this forum for "ABS sensor".

As geoffus says, probably an ABS sensor. In answer to your original question, a similar thing happened to me on my way home from a customer site visit. I elected to drive it home rather than call out recovery and safely did 110 miles; although it was 9pm with light traffic, dry conditions and I keep it to 50mph on the motorway. Just bear in mind no ABS, traction control or cruise is available. The bonus is your stop/start won't work either 😜

Although the car can be driven without ABS (happens to me every time I drive my ancient IVECO van ! no ABS on that thing) If you did have a bump maybe your insurers would be unhappy if they found out the ABS was not working, even if it's absence had nothing to do with the accident.

It's a negative way of thinking but in my opinion insurers will do anything to reduce the amount hey pay out theses days. :(

Should be fine. I had an ABS pump on a VW Golf go and it was absolutely fine apart from obviously ABS not working.
As for insurance, its a tricky one but I think it would be unreasonable to suggest the car is fixed immediately especially with booking times etc and also unreasonable to require that its parked for the duration until its fixed if you need it for work etc

I've had the exact same thing.
The wheel bearing was on its way out and had buggered the ABS sensor (I'm advised these are linked) which lit up the dash. ESC, cruise, TMPS etc all disabled. Still drivable regardless.
Had new front bearings and sensors fitted.
Off to collect shortly so, unsure of the cost implications as yet (but, I can guarantee it won't be loose change)

I've had the exact same thing.
The wheel bearing was on its way out and had buggered the ABS sensor (I'm advised these are linked) which lit up the dash. ESC, cruise, TMPS etc all disabled. Still drivable regardless.
Had new front bearings and sensors fitted.
Off to collect shortly so, unsure of the cost implications as yet (but, I can guarantee it won't be loose change)
The reluctor ring is built into the hub bearing. I had the same issue; genuine wheel sensor is about £60 and the hub bearing on my S204 was £90. The sensor is a doddle to fit, the bearing a bit more involved obviously.

Just to offer an update...
Bearing was fine, just the sensor.
Had this changed and all codes cleared.
Drives spot on once again.
Sensor was £67 plus fitting etc. (I could have done this but as it was a pals garage, asked to fit)
Hope you get the same/similar outcome 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom