Admiral vs Admiral

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Now with a new e63s I have recovery included anyway.

Now with a new e63s I have recovery included anyway.
Check cover - some are only the very, very basic (not at home, limit on recovery distance etc.) which of course they tell you about in the very small print.

Can you tell I am somewhat jaundiced about modern business practices? ;) 😂

That is pretty much what they rely on - people not noticing. Worse now since they retain and use your payment details. Your agreement to that will be in the very small print
The new policy offered an option to auto-renew, not seen that before. Don't think I've ever unticked a box so quickly.

The new policy offered an option to auto-renew, not seen that before. Don't think I've ever unticked a box so quickly.

The tick box was after pressure as before that it was buried. And even then it was tick if you don't want to

Surely if a new car or shall we say less than 3 years old and serviced through MB network, then the vehicle should be covered by Mobilo? If a vehicle is still maintained by MB network for some time after that then still Mobilo ought to be valid for a period of time. My point being why pay extra when you already have the Mobilo cover? Just a thought. Maybe thinking "belts and braces".

I do this (most recently with Admiral) every year and they themselves admit they cannot compete on a renewal compared with their own online new policy. Crazy really but I suppose it encourages to look every year rather than just accept the renewal.

Surely if a new car or shall we say less than 3 years old and serviced through MB network, then the vehicle should be covered by Mobilo? If a vehicle is still maintained by MB network for some time after that then still Mobilo ought to be valid for a period of time. My point being why pay extra when you already have the Mobilo cover? Just a thought. Maybe thinking "belts and braces".
Mobilo is renewed with each service, so if a car is serviced by Mercedes in line with the schedule, then you get a very good breakdown service at no extra cost. However if the issue cannot be fixed at the roadside then the car will be recovered to a Mercedes dealer, which means that any repairs will need to be done by that Mercedes dealer, unless your recover it it again to another garage of your choice.

The main dealer is rarely the least expensive way of repairing a car, especially in a distress situation like a recovery, as for the dealer there's very little incentive to negotiate! Whilst in the warranty period then that's perhaps less of an issue as many repairs will be covered under warranty, but not all will be.

I don't think I've ever renewed with the same company unless it's been cheaper. My allegiance is to my wallet and I'm quite happy to change insurer each year. I shop around for everything.

You couldn't make it up could you? Insurance is always a minefield, with crazy renewal prices. I always look round for a better deal every year, I am currently with Adrian Flux for my Pajero.

Just a little PostScript to this story. Last week we received an email saying there was a discrepancy about my wife's NCD and we had to forward proof of her NCD to Admiral from her previous insurer (Admiral) immediately or they would assume she had no NCD and the premium would increase plus an admin fee.

Having emailed the proof of NCD from Admiral to Admiral, we received an email saying that they had received this and we should ignore any further correspondence on this matter.

Two days later, a letter arrived quoting the forwarded NCD details and stating that "we have agreed" that your premium should increase by £111, including a £30 admin fee.

Thankfully, I didn't ignore this correspondence and immediately emailed to confirm that we had agreed no such thing and that the quote they originally offered was on the basis of the NCD from Admiral and now forwarded to them, because they couldn't find it.

Yesterday, we received another letter, now back at the original rate. No apology or explanation...

I insure both cars with Admiral. Have done so for a few years, always the cheapest. However, the good lady had a mishap with the Mercedes so looking like there will be a penalty to pay this year.
Admiral were first class in sorting out my claim and getting my car repaired.

I insure both cars with Admiral. Have done so for a few years, always the cheapest. However, the good lady had a mishap with the Mercedes so looking like there will be a penalty to pay this year.

Hi, It was really good of you to comment on the claims service - That is where a number of insurance companies are lacking.

Apparently they give you a discount in the first year or two.
The first year of insurance is usually a “loss leader” for the insurance company that uses comparison sites (which is most).

It’s a big roundabout though, for example: insurance company A’s sign-ups are lower than forecasted so they’ll drop prices until they’ve filled up their allocation, they then go back to being middle-of-the-road insurance company while another one goes through the same process.

Irrespective of the conspiracy theories on threads like these, they don’t really care whether or not John Smith is blathering on a motoring forum about their policy shooting up; it’s purely a numbers game and whoever has the biggest marketing budget at that time is probably the one people will end up with.

Really glad to hear this! I’ve been with Admiral on and off for years and always assumed that low prices = poor service.

I’ve been with admiral for years. Multi car policy. 2008 CLK350 and a 2019 Audi A6 40TDi. £650 a year all in. They are very good value and the one time I had a claim in 2017 it was all sorted very quickly. You do need to challenge the renewal though. Always comes down!

I've been with Admiral for three years or so with a multi-car policy. They've always been competitive, and they only upped the premium on the SLK by £21 when it was remapped (extra 11% bhp, but it could have been an extra 25% and the cost would have been the same) - and £19 of that was the admin fee!

Sorry to resurrect, but an interesting thread.

Just looking at mine, used 2 different comparison sites, gocompare and moneysupermarket and exactly the same quote ( in every way) gave Admiral v Admiral difference of around £100! They were pretty competitive on both ( cheapest on one) , and included NCD protect, shouldn’t need to but makes them a few more ££, and legal cover.

As lots have said...shop around!

Will go with Admiral 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom