Advice/Opinions on this CLS55 AMG? - I need an AMG again!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
CLS55 was approx £85k new in 2005, depending on options..

That's equivalent to £117k in today's money!

Last edited:
Looks a nice example but those wheels don't look right on the cls imo , needs the 19"s

CLS55 was approx £85k new in 2005, depending on options..

That's equivalent to £117k in today's money!

Wow....more than I thought. Nearly as much as my QP. That was 96k. The 2007/57 QP Exec GT I bought for £16.5k nearly a year ago but it is still worth that now.

Looks a nice example but those wheels don't look right on the cls imo , needs the 19"s

I agree and am not a fan of the turbine style on the CLS or SL55's. I prefer the 5 spokes on the CLS55. They could always be changed though so not a deal breaker.

The cars been looked after & the miles are low, I think the price is not that far off TBH.

The cars been looked after & the miles are low, I think the price is not that far off TBH.

Yup, I agree. Looks decent enough and the price is not far away from where it needs to be. I bought my QP for £16.5k from a Maserati independent dealer that I could possibly have bought private for £15k. However I thought it wasn;t worth the risk of saving £1.5k buying privately.

Just trying to convince myself that this CLS is worth taking on privately and a value.

Personally I think its a fair price. Yes there are cheaper examples out there, as there always is (as with any make/model), but the question is how much is it worth to you? If you want to buy a 11K-12K example, then discount this one immediately and save your energy.

Personally I always look for the best well maintained example I can find and try to buy privately from someone who has actually looked after their car, oppose to car dealers who are number crunching on business turnover (nothing wrong with that, just not my preference) and this at times can be a little more expensive believe it or not.

A wise man once said "theres nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes Benz" ;)

Looking on Ebay there are a few around this mileage a few thousand dearer & some under but they are 70k & above. As you know Rockits its not the miles its the general upkeep with these . As for your Maserati,I would jump at a 1.5k difference in a Dealer to private , you can spend that in a blink of an eye on those. CLS55 AMG costs parts wise must seem like a calming/refreshing sleep easy feeling lol

Personally I think its a fair price. Yes there are cheaper examples out there, as there always is (as with any make/model), but the question is how much is it worth to you? If you want to buy a 11K-12K example, then discount this one immediately and save your energy.

Personally I always look for the best well maintained example I can find and try to buy privately from someone who has actually looked after their car, oppose to car dealers who are number crunching on business turnover (nothing wrong with that, just not my preference) and this at times can be a little more expensive believe it or not.

A wise man once said "theres nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes Benz" ;)

Indeed. I bought a cheap R129 SL500 once......bad idea....flipped it back out pretty quickly. Mind you I then did the same a few years later buying a very cheap SL55. What a surprise I flipped that one out pretty quickly as well.

Looking on Ebay there are a few around this mileage a few thousand dearer & some under but they are 70k & above. As you know Rockits its not the miles its the general upkeep with these . As for your Maserati,I would jump at a 1.5k difference in a Dealer to private , you can spend that in a blink of an eye on those. CLS55 AMG costs parts wise must seem like a calming/refreshing sleep easy feeling lol

Yes, I have scanned the market and seen a few nice trade cars with a couple more miles at the same price or not much more. Don't really want silver though as I think the CLS55 looks better in a darker colour. Black is common but seems to suit it quite well.

You can indeed drop a few k quite quickly with a Maserati. Luckily I have not seen that on the 4200 or QP yet. Although I spent £2k on the 4200 first year then £1.5k 2nd year. The £2k did include some exhaust mods that accounted for 1200 of that though.

I have had plenty of big lumpy cars and not afraid of them. What you don't lose in depreciation you lose in running costs so it evens itself out.

If I didn't have the QP I would have bought a CLS55 by now. I didn't scratch my TVR itch yet so that is the only thing stopping me at the moment as I can't justify both. Nice problem to have I guess.

Been very busy at work last few days but made up my mind that I liked this CL55 enough to buy it. Then arrived at a value for the car as a private sale so just honestly stated my interest to buy this CLS55 from the seller at £11k. It is been declined but I am finding it hard to justify any more for a private sale. I would rather pay a smidge more from an independent dealer.

If you drive 5 mins down the road and the engine pops or something equally massive goes there is no recourse as a private sale. At least from a dealer there would be some recourse.

A private sale needs to be some margin cheaper than an independent dealer or it is not worth the risk. This situation seems to be becoming more common now & so much harder now to sell big lumpy cars privately regardless of how good they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom