• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Ageism

Bigdrew

Car
Ml350 bluetec clk220 CDi w209 amg styling 18in amg wheels cla 220cdi amg sport c class w205 amg line
The other day I was talking to someone when his father drove up in his c63 he said my dads 75 and still drives it he’s mentally and physically fit for his age but he said he thinks he looks daft driving a car like that and not the type of car a man of that age should drive so I thought I would put it on here to see what you guys thought

The other day I was talking to someone when his father drove up in his c63 he said my dads 75 and still drives it he’s mentally and physically fit for his age but he said he thinks he looks daft driving a car like that and not the type of car a man of that age should drive so I thought I would put it on here to see what you guys thought
And breathe.

I was driving my SLK 55 at the age of 75 and managed not to crash it and got as much fun out of it as I would have done at 25 when I floored the throttle and heard that V8 engine 😎

I think it's a shame he thinks 75 is old! As long as he's fit he should drive whatever he likes. I can honestly say I've never seen someone driving a car and thought, "He/she's too old to be driving that model".

My dad is 83 and it is beginning to feel like having a car the size of the E350 and with that amount of torque is not a great idea.

I’m not looking forward to needing to have ‘the chat’. Incredibly sad, actually.

My dad is 78 and still drives a Westfield 7. I think with age (to an extent) you have to be careful not to restrict yourself too early or you can speed the ageing process.

I believe that after a certain age the cost of insurance becomes prohibitive, irrespective of your skill level.

I believe that after a certain age the cost of insurance becomes prohibitive, irrespective of your skill level.
I think the cost of insurance really starts to climb once the driver gets into their mid to late 80s. Hardly surprising I guess. I think a lot of people that age start driving fewer miles each year, then they end up driving so little that they lose confidence and sell the car. So keep on driving.

Meanwhile in Florida, there are 90 year olds driving giant RVs and Lincoln Town cars. Maybe he shouldn't sorry about it
Roads annd parking aread are a tad bigger over there and your world thinks it’s normal to drive 30 miles for a coffee or to see a movie.

It’s not the age, it’s the condition and mileage.

I just watched Christmas University Challenge and was shocked by Paxman’s condition at 72. After a more than full life, he has Parkinson’s and needs to be wary of driving generally, let alone at high speed.

And it’s not the power of the car, it’s how he drives it. If he drives it down to Goodwood “on the doorhandles” at 5am at the weekend, he needs to make sure he’s still got it.

If it’s just to flash the cash outside the bar or at the golf club that’s a different matter.

CBC698BA-DAEB-44E8-A30B-DD6C3B18A7AC.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m 75, and still drive my JZR (see avatar pic, although that’s not me in the car!!). I’ve just renewed the insurance, and it’s £21 less than it was 4 years ago.

It’s just over 3 weeks to go before I’m off to Gran Canaria with a young (age 70) mate, where we will be hiring a couple of motorcycles.

I’m old, yes, but I don’t consider myself to be elderly…

Hey, my hobby shop is 65 miles away from my house and i can do it door to door in less than an hour.
Sounds about right, seeing as it’s local.

It’s not quite the same over here, as you’ll remember.

One of my favourite memories about touring Texas and New England is stopping at diners around 11 for brunch and seeing groups of Caddies or Lincoln town cars parked outside.

A guaranteed sign that there would be a bunch of very short guys in their 80’s meeting up with their buds for a long slow cawfee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom