• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Ageism

The other day I was talking to someone when his father drove up in his c63 he said my dads 75 and still drives it he’s mentally and physically fit for his age but he said he thinks he looks daft driving a car like that and not the type of car a man of that age should drive so I thought I would put it on here to see what you guys thought
Forum consensus seems fairly universal on this topic..

So, for balance..

I do clearly remember being a youth, hooning round in a clapped out ordinary car, and pointing out to my peers that "what a waste it is that all the smart fast cars are driven by old men, and they don't use them to go fast,,,,"

I'm in my 81st year & still enjoy driving the cars listed in my profile.

The two MGs have been enjoyed as day to day cars when the weather is right, and used on continental classic rallies until just before Covid.

Since then my navigator, who is a few years older than I has developed arthritis difficulty getting into the two MGs so they haven't been used competitively for 3 years For this reason I anticipate selling them both in the next year or so leaving me the SL & Land Rover.

NJSS

I restored a 73 MGB that I bought as a shell with 9 tea chests worth of parts. It was a blast to drive but it seemed like every idiot in a dodge 1 ton pickup truck wanted to kill me so I sold it and bought my 107. It's not as much fun but it could get out of its own way.

I still have a TR6 that I knock around in but I don't take it on the motorway.

My dad is 78 and still drives a Westfield 7. I think with age (to an extent) you have to be careful not to restrict yourself too early or you can speed the ageing process.

To some extent it really is a state of mind. Our parents and particularly grandparents were old before their time.

In a year or so I'll still be climbing trees and riding motorcycles at the age of 70. I like to adopt the adage:

You don't slow down when you get old

You get old when you slow down

Worse still, a flat cap.
When I was a kid, one of the most feared vehicles on the road was a Morris Minor driven by an elderly lady wearing a Sally Army uniform.

Then came the Volvo brigade…

🤣

Forum consensus seems fairly universal on this topic..

So, for balance..

I do clearly remember being a youth, hooning round in a clapped out ordinary car, and pointing out to my peers that "what a waste it is that all the smart fast cars are driven by old men, and they don't use them to go fast,,,,"

Still the norm in the South East. Fastest drivers are the young 'uns in clapped out motors, and the white van man in a hurry.

I think it's a shame he thinks 75 is old!
It is....by any usable matrix 75 is old. Even more so when you take into account average life expectancy in the UK is just under 81. So if 75 is not old I'm not sure what is!

Mmmmmm elasticated waist trousers.
How did I ever miss you?

It is....by any usable matrix 75 is old. Even more so when you take into account average life expectancy in the UK is just under 81. So if 75 is not old I'm not sure what is!
Yep: a quarter of all adults are over 65.

That’s a reasonable definition for “old”.

Young adults up until 35

35-50 negotiable (young parents?)

50 - 65 middle aged

75+ “SKIers” and “waiting for God”

Reading some of these posts has had me smiling,we seem to have fair number of older guys on here I am one,how many have taken the medical to continue to drive a 7.5 ton truck or a mini bus,you need to do that after 70,now that is agism,also it seems I can wake up a dormant HGV1 licence I gave up at 63 with a full medical,I have been looking to see if that was possible of course I would have to do the CPC ,but the lure of being offered a auto Actros for a bit of night trailor moving has got me looking at it,don't need the money ,it is that big boy truck that drives itself that I want to try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom