• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Airline flight cancellation

Piff

MB Enthusiast
Car
Porsche Macan S
Number one son was due to fly to Dublin this morning.
The plane he was supposed to fly on was iced up in Dublin where apparently the airline had insufficient equipment to de-ice their planes.
After waiting several hours (I believe around 6 hours) the flight (and the rest of that airlines flights) was cancelled & he is on his way home.
Not only has he lost the flight but he had also booked & paid for a hotel for a few days and some city tours.
Does he have any chance of claiming the cost of his flight/hotel/tours back from the airline?

Our daughter travelled to Milan from Newcastle this morning with Ryan Air. Originally 7:10am eventually got off at 9:00am. Ice on the runway was the reason given BUT they witnessed several take-offs/landings whilst waiting 🤷‍♂️

Because of the delay they missed a pre booked coach and had to cough up for the next one.

Did your son have a separate travel insurance policy in place? Could he claim on that?

The plane he was supposed to fly on was iced up in Dublin where apparently the airline had insufficient equipment to de-ice their planes.
After waiting several hours (I believe around 6 hours) the flight (and the rest of that airlines flights) was cancelled & he is on his way home.
Not only has he lost the flight but he had also booked & paid for a hotel for a few days and some city tours.
Does he have any chance of claiming the cost of his flight/hotel/tours back from the airline?
Go on their website and have a look.

If it's EasyJet, forget it.
It'll be like herding cats trying to get any money back.

Even more critical to have travel insurance these days

Our daughter travelled to Milan from Newcastle this morning with Ryan Air. Originally 7:10am eventually got off at 9:00am. Ice on the runway was the reason given BUT they witnessed several take-offs/landings whilst waiting 🤷‍♂️

Because of the delay they missed a pre booked coach and had to cough up for the next one.

Did your son have a separate travel insurance policy in place? Could he claim on that?
Don't know about insurance. Knowing him, I doubt it. Apparently other airlines were flying, but not his.

Is the de-icing service carried-out by the airline or by the airport? There could be various parties liable depending who who is responsible for not having the correct equipment in place.

A few years ago I had a flight cancelled returning from Dublin to Birmingham as the plane couldn’t take off from the previous air point due to bad weather. I used the Resolver website (link) and it was super quick and easy to get my money back and compensation to cover my costs.

A few years ago I had a flight cancelled returning from Dublin to Birmingham as the plane couldn’t take off from the previous air point due to bad weather. I used the Resolver website (link) and it was super quick and easy to get my money back and compensation to cover my costs.

Interesting. Reading through it states that a claim can’t be made for delays due to bad weather.
Cold weather caused the icing up of the plane, preventing it leaving Dublin, but lack of facilities prevented the plane from being defrosted.
I haven’t spoken to him directly but I understand that other airlines were leaving Dublin which suggests that it was his airline only with the problems

Reading through it states that a claim can’t be made for delays due to bad weather.
That’s true, but deicing of aircraft is a routine process that happens every day. That other aircraft were successfully operating from the same airport is evidence that the weather conditions didn’t curtail flying, it was operator incompetence (or unwillingness to pay for deicing) that stopped their departure.

Claim compensation.

Unwillingness to pay for de-icing is my guess . 'Fruck my passengers (customers) let them sit for a few hours at no expense to me and wait for the temperature to rise. '

That’s true, but deicing of aircraft is a routine process that happens every day. That other aircraft were successfully operating from the same airport is evidence that the weather conditions didn’t curtail flying, it was operator incompetence (or unwillingness to pay for deicing) that stopped their departure.

Claim compensation.
My thoughts too.

Is the de-icing service carried-out by the airline or by the airport? There could be various parties liable depending who who is responsible for not having the correct equipment in place.
Don’t think it matters. His contract is with the airline.

What airline?

I used Resolver for a few PPI claims. Worked a treat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom