• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Airline compensation?

Number one son has been away with a mate to Munich for a few days and is due to fly home tonight with Easy Jet, arriving at Gatwick at 10:15.
Apparently Easy Jet have cancelled his flight due to fog delays at Gatwick, flights backing up all day so they cancelled the last flight.

He has been offered 2 options:-
  1. Alternative flight to Manchester tonight arriving at 22:50 (if not delayed)
  2. Flight to Gatwick in 3 days time
They have taken the first option but now need to get from Manchester to Gatwick to collect his car, drive home to Suffolk all to get to work tomorrow:eek:

Does EasyJet have any duty to get passengers back to their ticketed destination?

They are currently claiming no responsibility as it is due to the weather.

I remember seeing an episode of that awful TV programme where a couple of passengers in the same predicament collared Stellios in front of the cameras , and he graciously arranged an Easy rent-a-car for them to drive to their destination ( I think they were going to a wedding here in Scotland ) .

For weather?

I did add that the weather may render the incident unclaimable, however a quick Google suggests it's not that black and white - it could be claimable if the plane was stuck somewhere else, a situation very possible with low-cost carriers who have no slack in their operations.

No - but I would expect them to get me to my ticketed destination within a reasonable time.

Sorry, poorly worded post from me.

I was trying to make the point that it might not be reasonable to expect compensation for the result of something beyond the control of the airline, particularly when taking advantage of a 'no frills' service.

As it turned out it does look like the airline did what they could to resolve.

It may be worth him & his mate making a polite request to cover the unexpected costs. They had hoped travel insurance may cover it, but the excess is £150.

a situation very possible with low-cost carriers who have no slack in their operations.

You think so called full service carriers have much slack these days?

Or in the case of hubs like LHR that they have any slack?

What the likes of BA do have if you are flying say to the east coast of the US is a lot of services - and partners. So there's a density of service that means there are options. So statistically you do OK - as long as the disruption isn't massive.

But if dealling with end point with less frequent services then you're no better off.

My feeling was that in the past the likes of BA could rustle up a spare aircraft - or be flexible. So if the LHR-Scotland flights got disrupted then at the end of the day you might see a larger aircraft in use in the evening to make sure everybody got to GLA or EDI by the end of the day by consolidating passengers from multiple flights. But I haven't seen that happen for *years*. The normal response to problems switched from sorting things out to cancelling domestic services - and if it's weather then you are on your own to find an alternative means of travel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom