AIRMATIC MALFUCTION

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

isohail72

Car
Mercedes S320 W221 CDI 2006
Hi Guys,
I am getting small car with malfuction on the dashboard.
Please below are the 4 pics of the tyres.
Please adviseis height ok or low, car igination was off.

Much apprecated.
Thank you.

Attachments

• 20200822_152904.jpg
    20200822_152904.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 20200822_152951.jpg
    20200822_152951.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
  • 20200822_153505.jpg
    20200822_153505.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 20200822_153547.jpg
    20200822_153547.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
Well the rear looks a little down,what happens when you start the car and push the raise the height button,does it raise or do you get a warning.

If you get a fault up,then go to the engine compartment and look at fuse 46 it is 15 amp check that, if ok then in the same fuse box check relays A and B the latter is for the compressor,maybe swap a relay to see if anything has changed,after that then you need to jack up the rear left of your car and look at the ride height sensor,this is around the rear axle,it is a box with a metal rod coming from it and a clip check that the clip has not snapped or cracked,it is this sensor that tells your car what ride height it should be,it can be damaged by pot holes and road humps,if all that seems to be ok then get it to a indy who can run a test to check your suspension out.

Well the rear looks a little down,what happens when you start the car and push the raise the height button,does it raise or do you get a warning.
It does raise. But can hear sound from the front right corner, like pump is working then it stops and airmatic malfunction come on display

Psobably your compressor pump is worn, and it cannot produce enough pressure within required time. Of course there could be a leak, which gives a same result. Soapy water over all airmatic components and lines and watching if bubbles are born... plus SDS session would give more insight.

Psobably your compressor pump is worn, and it cannot produce enough pressure within required time. Of course there could be a leak, which gives a same result. Soapy water over all airmatic components and lines and watching if bubbles are born... plus SDS session would give more insight.
Has a SDS and it comes with leak in pressure line.

Has a SDS and it comes with leak in pressure line.

My C219 had same problem, no leak and new (renewed) compressor was the cure. But like said ensure there is no leak first.

There are various repair kits, I suggest piston ring only, but if there is clearly felt treshold in pump cylinder, then cylinder too. I have repaired two compressors so far (I keep latest one as a spare part).

Edit: check compressor intake line and filter are good. Also dryer beads may gone porrige..

well at the front left is the compressor plus the steel tank that has the reserve air in it,if you have a leak then the connections between these two have to be checked,if there is a leak then it might be quiet old and the compressor as worn itself out,if you are at all handy then you can change it ,if not give it to a mechanic

Hi
Had the same issue on my CLS and even after fitting a refurb kit and the compressor ran lovely but still didn't work correctly, I even replaced the valve block and pressure sensor, exactly the same.
I really didn't want to buy a new compressor as I was convinced it was ok having replaced it about 2-3 years before with genuine MB part and then refurbing it as well.
The car was off the road with this issue for 2 - 3 months (wasn't using car much anyway as I have another MB for work) with this issue, so in the end I bit the bullet and bought a new one and hey presto everything worked and no more dash warning.
Bought another MB Compressor, exchange I cant remember how much it was other than I didn't think it was to bad compared to the loads of cheap aftermarket compressors available.

If you get a fault up,then go to the engine compartment and look at fuse 46 it is 15 amp check that, if ok then in the same fuse box check relays A and B the latter is for the compressor,maybe swap a relay to see if anything has changed,after that then you need to jack up the rear left of your car and look at the ride height sensor,this is around the rear axle,it is a box with a metal rod coming from it and a clip check that the clip has not snapped or cracked,it is this sensor that tells your car what ride height it should be,it can be damaged by pot holes and road humps,if all that seems to be ok then get it to a indy who can run a test to check your suspension out.
FUSE IS OK AND RELAY LOOKS FINE.

Hi
Had the same issue on my CLS and even after fitting a refurb kit and the compressor ran lovely but still didn't work correctly, I even replaced the valve block and pressure sensor, exactly the same.
I really didn't want to buy a new compressor as I was convinced it was ok having replaced it about 2-3 years before with genuine MB part and then refurbing it as well.
The car was off the road with this issue for 2 - 3 months (wasn't using car much anyway as I have another MB for work) with this issue, so in the end I bit the bullet and bought a new one and hey presto everything worked and no more dash warning.
Bought another MB Compressor, exchange I cant remember how much it was other than I didn't think it was to bad compared to the loads of cheap aftermarket compressors available.
So you bought new compressor and then you had new issues? am i right, because i have observed that front right side when car starts, i can her the sound, coming from the compressor, i think, it try to start and stop 3 or 4 times, then airmatic malfuction come on the display.

FUSE IS OK AND RELAY LOOKS FINE.

I suspect quite a large number of we long/er term Mercedes owners have found it cost effective to buy a suitable scanner;
I have the icarsoft MB V2.0 personally - and if someone was prepared to drive to my home or car storage facility, I'd happily run it for codes.

I am no help to you here as I live on the Cambs/Herts border, but if you lucky, someone closer to you may reach out and make a similar offer.

Good luck anyway. :thumb:

Well with the W221 parts are getting cheaper ,the compressor has come way down in price but expect to pay at least £300 for a good one,I would still look at the rear height sensor,if it is damaged it may well be saying the height is ok and so the compressor will not work,ok it might be a long shot,but might save spending out on a compressor,the only thing if it is that sensor,they are a pita to fit.

Well with the W221 parts are getting cheaper ,the compressor has come way down in price but expect to pay at least £300 for a good one,I would still look at the rear height sensor,if it is damaged it may well be saying the height is ok and so the compressor will not work,ok it might be a long shot,but might save spending out on a compressor,the only thing if it is that sensor,they are a pita to fit.
Can anyone put a photo of the sensor for the back with the position please. I had icarsoft scanner then returned it as it was faulty, I am playing around with S class for few years now, but they always have issues, 1st w221, and seriously very bad experience, had few w220, never bad compare to w221.

Do not have a photo,but if you lift the rear left side it is about a ft or so in from the left air strut held in place by one bolt,the sensor is a little bigger than a match box,what might have happened is the sensor arm may have cracked and so give a false reading,it can be repaired with a strong plastic glue,you cannot buy the arm on it's own,if you have a mind to put the rear of the car on axle stands and then start the car and then raise the sensor arm and see if the back goes up,there is a couple for sale on ebay at around £30.

Do not have a photo,but if you lift the rear left side it is about a ft or so in from the left air strut held in place by one bolt,the sensor is a little bigger than a match box,what might have happened is the sensor arm may have cracked and so give a false reading,it can be repaired with a strong plastic glue,you cannot buy the arm on it's own,if you have a mind to put the rear of the car on axle stands and then start the car and then raise the sensor arm and see if the back goes up,there is a couple for sale on ebay at around £30.
I just about to go on a car, rear right passanger was sitting and one on the front passanger side, CAR IS TO LOW, come up on the display, then person who was sat on the front passanger seat step down, sign disappered. Any ideas?

Update. I have put car on jack and check the pump, when the tyre is off, no airmatic malfunction appear, as soon as tyre back on compressor pump 4 to 5 times and then airmatic malfunction appears.
Now I have put car off from jack and all the 4 tyres gone down, CAR IS TOO LOW DONT DRIVE.

Where the air springs located?
Front it's installed in suspension arm
Rear it's separated. It's like rubber cylinders
But you have to lift your car for checking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom