• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Alarm Siren Fault - Affecting Central Locking

Manoerwar

Car
CLK W209 Sport
I recently had an issue in that my central locking failed and would only intermittently work if I use the remote very close to the door sensor, after some checks I found that fuse 8 in the boot had blown, I replaced fuse and it immediately failed. Fuse 8 supports a shared line with the alarm siren. and central locking.

The alarm siren is located behind the O/S wheel arch liner, a further check proved that there was a short within the siren causing the fuse failure. Just disconnected the siren and ordered a new siren from Merc a good few weeks ago. The central locking works perfectly. The siren is a special order (still on the way) or VOR as the parts assistant told me. I can't believe that the siren was positioned under a wheel arch. On the plus side it's quite easy to get to.

The siren is behind the wheel arch liner to make it harder for the car thieves to get at. If it were under the bonnet, it could be removed or disabled in seconds.

Jaguar however decided it would be a good idea to bury the fuel filter on my S-type behind the N/S/F wheel arch liner rather than in a handy place like under the bonnet.

The siren is behind the wheel arch liner to make it harder for the car thieves to get at. If it were under the bonnet, it could be removed or disabled in seconds.

Jaguar however decided it would be a good idea to bury the fuel filter on my S-type behind the N/S/F wheel arch liner rather than in a handy place like under the bonnet.
I agree it makes sense from a security point of view but I was thinking more on the exposure to the elements, but I suppose it has been on the vehicle for 18 years or so (assume it is the orginal), so probably as consumables go it can be expected.

The most common cause of failure is the internal batteries degrading and leaking. 18 years is pretty good life I would think. Mine has given me no problem so far, I have one one the shelf ready to fit rather than wait for a failure.

Not easy to get OEM siren part (special order), some 2nd hand one's on-line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom