Alec's W216 CL 4.7 BiTurbo Project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A few jobs attempted today, first was to change the fuel filter for brand new. Not cheap at £122, but one less thing to worry about...
50418464663_5f5766bcd1_c.jpg

I have had an EML for Boost Pressure, I read on another forum that they fitted A45 AMG Map sensor to the M278- It is completely different! So this is the sensor I need, hidden under the ECU
50418464598_84dfc0c3be_c.jpg

A subtle change was to lighly tint the reverse light with wrap, not something I am best at. This is my critism of the W216, the facelift W221 has much more modern looking tailights...
50419156086_e12a2d4ddc_c.jpg

I’ve been looking at the CL for a couple of years. If I didn’t need 5 seats I’d have one in an instant! Lovely car, proper big boy mods and superb execution.
I’m on the fence regards the wheels...just feel a thicker single spoke rather than twins with a healthy concave would suit the car better, but I’m splitting hairs.
Nice job.

I used to walk past a grey one on my way to work each morning. Lovely elegant cars.

What a great piece of work you’ve got there - I love the CL anyway but you’ve really improved on it!

I agree with @Abb on the wheels, I don’t think it’s necessarily the design it’s just they look a little lost in the arches compared to what was there before (and I’m usually a dark wheel fan).

I did my longest trip out last Sunday in this car to the self titled 'looser conference' at Duxford to see other barge enthusiasts.

In the run up to the meet, I had yet another rear tyre puncture. The tyre was ruined from under-inflation and the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S I wanted were not in stock... Luckily, I had a spare tyre, which I thankfully kept. Beats the space saver anyday!

Quite the mixture of cars in attendance:
1X G350
2X S600
1X 760LI
1X DB9
2X W124
1X LS460
1X Cayman
1X Toyota Century
1X CL500

50529100148_52aa596294_c.jpg

50529984822_66e8ee6786_c.jpg

The car seemed much better on fuel coming home, leaving this average for the whole day, including a good number of full throttle runs
50529982497_3c4bd69ebf_c.jpg

Another visit to Acid at MSL Performance today for a full service, including:
-Oil & Filter change
-Gearbox service
-Coolant replaced

The online service book has been updated, well worth the 300 mile round trip.
All done for considerably less money than the main dealer wanted, lunch included too!

Looks great and exactly like the one I sold a couple of years ago now although I prefer the standard look personally.

Watch out for Acid's chicken... he laces it with "BHP" and you end up spending even more money on mods and tuning!

Looks great and exactly like the one I sold a couple of years ago now although I prefer the standard look personally.

Watch out for Acid's chicken... he laces it with "BHP" and you end up spending even more money on mods and tuning!

I should clarify I am referring to the alternative wheels and preferring the standard look.

I like the other mods you have done and they work really well on the car - and you have the hugely-increased performance to go with it...

Do you plan on upgrading the brakes? I found these to be very poor given the performance of the car.

I still love the look of these cars. No one does the stunning large coupe like MB although I still haven't yet warmed to the S Class coupe.

Mine was Obsidian actually which is a more black metallic black than Magnetite not wishing to steal the thunder of your car (click for larger):

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • 02.JPG
    02.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 17
  • 03.JPG
    03.JPG
  • 04.JPG
    04.JPG
  • 05.JPG
    05.JPG
    925.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 06.JPG
    06.JPG
    994.6 KB · Views: 17
John, thanks for sharing the photos of your CL. They are great looking cars standard, just a little too understated for me, hence the external modifications. I think if I had left it visually standard, then it would have really suprised some people considering the performance on offer.

The brakes aren't the best as you say, debating options to see what is the best route. For day to day driving, I barely need to work the standard brakes, so not a pressing issue at the moment.

I have gone through a number of differenet exhaust configurations in the search to get the best mix of sound and daily driving suitable.
So far I have:
Rear silencer delelete, rest stock - this was perfect
Rear silencer delelete, decatted - slightly too loud
Stock silencers, decatted - too quiet and car felt strangled

I have bought some silencers and stainless tubing and mandrel bends to learn how to TIG weld with my newly aquired welder
One side is pretty much done, overall, I am happy for a first attempt
50606311902_b10f945e04_c.jpg

50606189401_94859a48a2_c.jpg

Another one to go!

You'll have to do a video of it taking off once sorted... it's part of the terms and conditions of this forum when you sign up.

Great car and a great thread Alec. I'm also a recent w216 owner.
I didn't know you could use the m157 turbos on the blue efficiency m278. The engines certainly look very similar under the bonnet at least.
I have a pair of Genuine Brabus "special" turbochargers for an M157 if of interest. Needless to say these are larger than the stock Garretts.
They are used in the Brabus B63S-700bhp+ performance applications. Not usually available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom