Alloy corrosion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB James

Car
S-Class W222
IMG_2920.jpeg

What a mess! My wheels seem to be corroding from the inside out. Surface feels smooth to the touch. All four are like this. I'm guessing they are beyond repair.

The wheels can be refurbished.

But if the car is still under warranty and the wheels are original, it's worth checking with your dealer first to see if MB will repair/replace the wheels under warranty (some MB wheels are prone to corrosion for no obvious reason).

Though they might say that the damage was caused through the use of acidic wheel cleaner (which, to be honest, looking at the photos, does seem likely), or that the hub was damaged by a tyre filter using a screwdriver to prise-off the cap (sadly they do that) and which allowed moisture to creep-in under the paint.

But failing that, have the wheels returned, and be careful with the wheels cleaner and the tyre fitters going forward.

Thanks MarkJay I'll speak to a refurb guy. The car is out of warranty (66 plate S-class) unfortunately. It gets washed ALOT so I think acidic wheel cleaner over time was the cause.

Common problem with MB diamond cut wheels.

Get them powder coated.

Theyve been refurbed once all ready. HE woudnt be able to cut them again.

Seems unusal, normally they can cut more than once. There are some high-sheen finishes available which don’t require cutting, so worth asking what alternative options are available. Whereabouts are you?

Cheltenham
If you can get to Birmingham there are quite a few refurb outfits - some same day turnaround - who might give you some different options. Worth a Google and enquiry.

Even if they can't be diamond cut again they could be painted/coated - which would look better than they are now.

How long ago was that? The refurb should come with a warranty, might be worth looking into it.

I seem to recall @clk320x used this outfit, they’re incredibly cheap and they do a same day service, so worth seeing what he has to say about them. Here’s a link:

Brilliant service at a great price Rob
CABAFF41-DADF-46-D0-84-AF-27-E101-A10141.jpg

Diamond cut wheels look great but they just aren't durable enough for UK roads.

Get them painted then ceramic coated for protection.

Thanks MarkJay I'll speak to a refurb guy. The car is out of warranty (66 plate S-class) unfortunately. It gets washed ALOT so I think acidic wheel cleaner over time was the cause.
If you must use alloy wheel cleaner then get something non acidic.
Personally mine only ever get washed with the same shampoo that the car is washed with.

Occasionally I use this stuff on my wife's alloys if they are marked because of brake dust.

If you must use alloy wheel cleaner then get something non acidic.

Can I use wheel cleaner as long as it's rinsed off well (hosepipe) or has the damage been done by just applying?

Can I use wheel cleaner as long as it's rinsed off well (hosepipe) or has the damage been done by just applying?
I don't really know to be honest.
I've told in the past by two different alloy refurbishment places to avoid acidic alloy wheel cleaners, and also by the place that detailed my own car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom