Amazing r/c "helicopter"!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Cool.

Son has a raptor 30 in the garage - he got it about 8 years ago and I can remember reading about someone trying autopilot control on a raptor back then (basic hover/cruise stuff). Looks like things have come on a bit since - less frightening with a little electric as well!!

Steve

I saw this video the other day, very impressed but very expensive! :p
I doubt it cost *that* much to build though, its amazing what those brushless motors can do nowadays along with long battery life.

I sold a load of heli gear the other month and still have a Baron 30 with JR 3810 transmitter full set up if anyone is interested, just cant motivate myself to putting it on ebay (along with their expensive fees!).

Looks great! Amazing speed!

I have tried many times to fly RC helicopters and failed miserably - any hints on a good small starter one without spending thousands?!

Looks great! Amazing speed!

I have tried many times to fly RC helicopters and failed miserably - any hints on a good small starter one without spending thousands?!

I would suggest starting with a coaxial heli like the E-Flite Blade MCX - this is a proper 4 channel r/c model (not infra-red 2 channel toy), but incredibly stable and dead easy to fly in your lounge. Learn orientation etc. with that. This is mine hovering 'hands off' under the light in the lounge :D

pic03-1.jpg

Then move on to a Blade mSR ... similar size and weight, but single rotor (fixed pitch) and more responsive. This is mine in the garden on a very calm evening

pic01-2.jpg

Because these helis are so small & light they are very durable ... they basically bounce rather than breaking. You can buy them with or without a transmitter, cost around the £60 mark without the transmitter I think (Google them).

If you go the above route an r/c flight simulator on your PC is not really necessary, however they are good fun and if you move on to bigger / more advanced (collective pitch) helis. then a very worthwhile investment.

Could you use something like an mSR as a sort of crane to lift models & reposition them in accurate positions?

Various Plod forces have these on trial with IR capabilty and live video downlink.

For local work very useful indeed.

I have a IC .35 Heli and I can tell you that they are very hard to fly, I had no problems landing though, on the side, on its back, on its head, anyway but on the runners lol

Could you use something like an mSR as a sort of crane to lift models & reposition them in accurate positions?
Helis that small won't lift much - the AUW (ready to fly) is only 28 grams (1 oz)!

This photo was taken exactly a year ago and shows my 'old' Mikrokopter. All the works have now been rehoused in a new frame and it carries a camera slung underneath.

Attachments

• IMG_2078_small.jpg
    IMG_2078_small.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 525
Those are similar to the drone ones that the police were using, think there was a story in the paper about them last week, something to do with them not having permission to fly them...

I like these and really want one. The technology looks a bit new though. Perhaps in a year or two they'll be mass produced in the far east. Can't wait!

I would suggest starting with a coaxial heli like the E-Flite Blade MCX - this is a proper 4 channel r/c model (not infra-red 2 channel toy), but incredibly stable and dead easy to fly in your lounge. Learn orientation etc. with that. This is mine hovering 'hands off' under the light in the lounge :D

pic03-1.jpg

Thanks Bill, just what i wanted, perfect advice, just bought one! I hope to be flying by the weekend! :bannana:

Hmm 200g is a bit too low maybe. Can you control their position to the centimetre?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom