AMG Wheel Corrosion - Warranty Repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If I understand correctly, then the OP's car isn't yet out of the original 3-years warranty, but the dealer is saying that the damage isn't covered because it was caused by the driver?

PS - To the OP, if your C63 still has the original tyres at 7,000 miles, then you don't actually need an AMG :)

Hi , No doubt Mercedes have a spread sheet that gives them a good as to the result the motor ombudsmen will provide even before you have contacted the MO.

You may not have had them off , however if you look at the centre caps there are what look to be pry marks on the edge, this is probably the reason for the corrosion. Time for a chat with the dealer principle I think or MB in Germany thats very poor on a 7k car.
Bit of confusion think. Rorywquin isn't the OP and it was the OP's car which has only 7k miles on it from new

Is it because no one can get a decent lacquer coat to adhere to diamond cut alloy ?
I think so. You'd normally abrade a surface to provide a key before paint but the diamond surface is very smooth. That and the sharp edges you usually get around details of the alloy, it's asking a lot from a lacquer to do and any small impact in the wrong place could easily damage the surface.

It is the light/photo/dirt. Everything is pristine except for the corrosion (on 3 wheels, 1 has no corrosion).

As mentioned, the motoring Ombudsman investigated and sided with MB.

I wish the car had only cost £7k:).
:) I meant the mileage, although I hate it you know what normally seems to get results these Days is to post your experience on facebook:)

:) I meant the mileage, although I hate it you know what normally seems to get results these Days is to post your experience on facebook:)
I hadn’t thought of that - any thoughts on where on Facebook.

Hi all. I have a 2019 C63S with the upgraded forged lightweight wheels (19/20 staggered, matt black with polished edge lips). I've owned the car from new and only done 7,000 miles in that time.

Last summer I noticed some corrosion appearing on the polished edge of one of the wheels and reported it to my local dealer. Due to Covid and me forgetting to chase them up, they didn't get the car until January.

Their feedback is that they won't warranty the corrosion and state it's driver damage - however, there is no such damage to the wheels at all. The bubbling seems to be spreading from the area where the polished lip joins the black painted centres and while it's only a c.6-7mm blemish, that's only going to get worse. I disagree that I should be expected to buy a new wheel, as the dealer has stated.

What I wanted to know is whether anyone else has had a similar issue with thier new cars and if they've had any success with getting MB to warranty repair / replace wheels? Thanks folks.
Three wheels (including a replacement) on a new R231 SL500 required changing at different times due to corrosion under the lacquer. It was pretty slight but evident and only going to get worse. The car was in warranty and the dealer dealt with it each time with new wheels and without missing a beat. Lucky?

I hadn’t thought of that - any thoughts on where on Facebook.
The main Mercedes UK page and the Daimler Benz Germany one, probably find your local dealer who supplied it also has a page of there own I would be putting it on all those and twitter as well....they dont care until it starts to hurt profits and image

The dealer who rejected my claim encouraged me to do just that. It was almost as though they couldn’t be bothered dealing with it.

On daughter's VW which had the same issue, and I think it's likely most manufacturers are the same, what happens is the manufacturer expects the dealer to decide, but will reject the claim when the wheels are returned if they don't agree, so then the dealer has to stand the cost which obviously puts them in a very difficult position on matters like this.

Re out of warranty, be interesting to try a small claims case on the basis of satisfactory quality but this would have to be against the supplying dealer and if it's the dealer you bought new from and use for service then it isn't going to do much for the relationship with them.

I can’t understand why any car manufacturer persist with supplying cars with diamond cut wheels.
They simply do not last the test of time.
I got three wheels replaced on the CLS, but because of a couple of scratches on the fourth wheel Mercedes would not replace it.
After my insistence that it should be replaced and that I was willing to cover part of the cost ( to avoid a mis match) The Main Dealer “refurbished “ the fourth wheel but made a hash of it as it now has lacquer sprayed over dirt on the inside of the rim.
All my previous cars for over 20 years had regular alloys which were still almost pristine when each car was sold plus my current 18 year old SL still has perfect alloys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom