• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Annoying PCN

The update is that I just called Parking Services over the phone, they advised to appeal again... and so I did. We'll see.

This is exactly what the LA want. They’re so desperate for your money.

For them & the private parking firms it's a numbers game. They know a high % of the ticketed will say "It's only £x amount, I can't be bothered to fight it" & will cough up. Those who do fight have a high win rate.

Using the helpful experts at Pepipoo (now Free Traffic Legal Advice - Index ) I have received & beaten 6 parking tickets in the last 15 or so years & lost none. In the judgement of the last successful appeal, Merton parking enforcement had a new ****hole installed courtesy of the adjudicator outraged at their sloppy handling of the matter. Very satisfying.

My advice is to fight them every time.

This is exactly what the LA want. They’re so desperate for your money.

For them & the private parking firms it's a numbers game. They know a high % of the ticketed will say "It's only £x amount, I can't be bothered to fight it" & will cough up. Those who do fight have a high win rate.

Using the helpful experts at Pepipoo (now Free Traffic Legal Advice - Index ) I have received & beaten 6 parking tickets in the last 15 or so years & lost none. In the judgement of the last successful appeal, Merton parking enforcement had a new ****hole installed courtesy of the adjudicator outraged at their sloppy handling of the matter. Very satisfying.

My advice is to fight them every time.
I've fought and won a few parking issues, against both private and LA tickets. It's been more a matter of principle than the cost of the fine. I like to think that I'm always careful about where I park, so being told that I've got it wrong is like a red rag to a bull. In none of the incidents has there been any necessity to go to tribunal/court, I just make sure that I start with a well prepared case and make my initial approach friendly. The majority were resolved in my favour after the first contact.

Being tenacious helps. I've not had to test my tenacity with any parking challenges, but have found it successful against a major flag carrier airline and our very own Home Office. In the latter instance, it did end up in court where I ALMOST felt sorry for the tongue lashing dealt out to the Home Office solicitor at the conclusion.

My only failure has been with Mercedes-Benz Group AG. They objected to my last company's use of their three-pointed star in our marketing. It's a very well protected trademark and during our communications with their legal department in Germany they made it very clear that their defence would be unbreakable! Discretion and hands up in defeat became a very much better part of valour. (BMW and Porsche, the other two companies whose logos we used extensively, never made any approaches. Perhaps they didn't regard us as competitors ;)) Quality Used Prestige, Sports and Performance Cars for Sale in Yateley, Hampshire | Lodge Motor Company Limited

I've fought and won a few parking issues, against both private and LA tickets. It's been more a matter of principle than the cost of the fine. I like to think that I'm always careful about where I park, so being told that I've got it wrong is like a red rag to a bull. In none of the incidents has there been any necessity to go to tribunal/court, I just make sure that I start with a well prepared case and make my initial approach friendly. The majority were resolved in my favour after the first contact.

Being tenacious helps. I've not had to test my tenacity with any parking challenges, but have found it successful against a major flag carrier airline and our very own Home Office. In the latter instance, it did end up in court where I ALMOST felt sorry for the tongue lashing dealt out to the Home Office solicitor at the conclusion.

My only failure has been with Mercedes-Benz Group AG. They objected to my last company's use of their three-pointed star in our marketing. It's a very well protected trademark and during our communications with their legal department in Germany they made it very clear that their defence would be unbreakable! Discretion and hands up in defeat became a very much better part of valour. (BMW and Porsche, the other two companies whose logos we used extensively, never made any approaches. Perhaps they didn't regard us as competitors ;)) Quality Used Prestige, Sports and Performance Cars for Sale in Yateley, Hampshire | Lodge Motor Company Limited
Interesting about Porsche not making any approaches.

Friend of mine runs Portiacraft on the A41 at Mill Hill Circus. It used to be Porschecraft until the briefcase boys got involved!

On the subject of Porsche being picky over their trademarks, there's a firm called Hex Innovate who created a diagnostic tool for BMW motorcycles that they called the HEX GS-911. The GS bit relates to a particular model line of BMW motorcycles, while the 911 bit relates to the emergency telephone number on the USA. So no problem with any of that, right? Wrong.

Porsche legal contacted them because - would you believe - 911 is one of their trademarks when it relates to the automotive sector.

Eventually, Porsche consented to use of the three digits by Hex Innovate, as long as they only refer to the product in speech as the GS nine-one-one, and never the GS nine-eleven.

On the subject of Porsche being picky over their trademarks, there's a firm called Hex Innovate who created a diagnostic tool for BMW motorcycles that they called the HEX GS-911. The GS bit relates to a particular model line of BMW motorcycles, while the 911 bit relates to the emergency telephone number on the USA. So no problem with any of that, right? Wrong.

Porsche legal contacted them because - would you believe - 911 is one of their trademarks when it relates to the automotive sector.

Eventually, Porsche consented to use of the three digits by Hex Innovate, as long as they only refer to the product in speech as the GS nine-one-one, and never the GS nine-eleven.
Trademarks are massive cans of worms. For instance, here's an extract from Porsche's legal page:

"Porsche, the Porsche marque, 911, Carrera, Targa, Boxster, Cayenne, Cayman, Panamera, Tiptronic and Tequipment are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG."

You'll notice "Targa" and "Tiptronic" among their registered trademarks. But they're both terms that we know well from various other marques. I wonder if they had to get permission from Dr Ing.

"The first [Peugeot] car to have a name using this system was the Peugeot 201, which was produced from 1929-1937, and it was then that the company patented this method of naming its vehicles. In 1963, Porsche presented a new car to the Frankfurt Motor Show called the 901. Peugeot protested, saying that only their cars had the right to a name with a central 0. Porsche had already produced 82 901s and anyone who finds one now is the owner of a very rare and valuable collectors’ item. Porsche renamed their sports car the 911."

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom