Anybody out there got a Crossfire?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dragon

Banned
A well known fact that the Chrysler Crossfire was based on Mark I SLK. Any owners out there be able to tell us the similarities and differences in terms of engine and platform.

I like the shape for it more manly than the girly slk but I have seen top gear saying it not good to own one. Does it has the mark I slk engine etc.

they use the 320 V6 which is a great engine... all the switches are the same but sprayed silver... pretty mush the same chassis too.

I actually thought it was a good car when i drove one but many disagree..

Can't disagree with Jays comments....I too thought it was OK to drive and you can pick them up for silly money down at the auctions, often with very low mileage.

If you do a search for Crossfire and Scotth_uk then you should find a fair chunk of info.

Regards
John

You can get one with a 5k on the clock and one year old for about £15k!!

I personally don't like the 320 engine but it is such a bargain!!! :D

SRT-6 in them also ?

Friend had the normal one convertible, smaller boot than SLK and the plastic trim sprayed silver looked a but cheap but for the prices you can get them for they do look great value.

SRT-6 has the 32k engine a la SLK32 AMG, albeit with a slightly lower power output.

That's good news because tuning the 32k engine has just taken off in a big way in the US, and so more tuning parts at much lower prices are appearing on the market.

A very fast, very cheap, almost new car!! :cool:

Didn't Jeremy Clarkson say from the side, it looked like a dog having a poop? (I quite like it by the way...the car..not poop)

I think they look great. The look seems to have mellowed with familiarity.

Didn't Jeremy Clarkson say from the side, it looked like a dog having a poop? (I quite like it by the way...the car..not poop)

Yes, I saw the repeat yesterday on Dave channel first aired on BBC2 in 2005. The best looking of the 3 with TT and 350Z. They couldn't decide and ended up with SLK mark II. Further investigation I found that it not really based on the SLK mark I because it got only one engine 3.2 no longer used in slk. SLK now got 1.8, 2.8 and AMG55.

You were right in your first post. It is based on the R170 SLK (Mk I) and it's 320 engine.

It's just that the R171 SLK (Mk II) didn't come with the 3.2 V6 engine, the model change allowed it be engineered for the later generation engines, without a direct replacement, ie 350 and 280 V6s

The Crossfire is a great car and for peanuts too. Some interior styling issues as have been mentioned - but when you think you are pretty much getting the SLK320 - ie an Edna - then it's got to be worth a thought or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom