Anyone done Calais to Berlin?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dowtherz

Car
W209 CLK 350 Cab VW Golf GTE Volvo V90 CC
Going to see U2 play the Olympic Stadium, Berlin in July. The thought of tearing up the autobahn in the SLK32 from Calais to Berlin is tempting me, anyone done that trip? Is 7 hours totally unrealistic? Should I just stick to paying Mr O'leary his £10 pp Credit card fee + taxes + breathing fee? Would appreciate views from anyone who has done the trip? Thanks in advance...

Hello

I've probably driven most of that journey at one point, but not in one go. Drove from Chester to Prague once...

Thing is you have to watch out on the toll roads etc, as they have more and more cameras now. A few years ago we would give it beans down some of these roads but now its just not like that.

Very very few German autobahns are actually derestricted and they fine you heavy on the spot.

It would make for a good trip but why rush? why not make a mini holiday out of it.

Is 7 hours totally unrealistic

Yes it is, it'll take significantly longer than that. And you'll be well advised to avoid the route via Brussels at rush hour, or you'll add a few hours more to the trip.

Take the route E25/E42/E40 via Wallonia (Tournai-Mons-Charleroi-Namur-Seraing-Verviers-Aachen) instead, far less busy and avoids the ring round Brussel.

Going to see U2 play the Olympic Stadium, Berlin in July. The thought of tearing up the autobahn in the SLK32 from Calais to Berlin is tempting me, anyone done that trip? Is 7 hours totally unrealistic? Should I just stick to paying Mr O'leary his £10 pp Credit card fee + taxes + breathing fee? Would appreciate views from anyone who has done the trip? Thanks in advance...

Look at it this way .... www.mbenznl.com is half-way. You could stop over and get some mods.

Dusseldorf to Berlin is a yawn. Nothing but wind-generators and farms. Dusseldorf to Stuttgart isnt much better.

One of the best roads in Germany is the A6 from Frankfurt to Linz (austria). Once you get an hour out of Frankfurt it is the straightest unrestricted road I have driven. The fun last a whole 2 hours at V-Max.

But I digress.

Maybe Calais-Paris-Champagne-Karlsruhe-Stuttgart-Heidelburg ( or Rothemburg am Tauber)-Berlin

This would give you more of that experiental enjoyment.

Concert is in Berlin late afternoon Sat. Was thinking early Eurotunnel 7/8ish AM on Fri to Calais and arrive in Berlin by 5/6PM on Fri eve. Will that work? Cruising at 80/90MPH with an occiasional "Hack"!

I just wouldn't risk it.

Too many what if's and if your on a mission thats not good for your driving. Take longer enjoy the trip.

Avoid Paris and its surroundings like the plague, it will be queueing up. Besides, Paris is quite the wrong direction and so is Frankfurt/a/M.

As I said, go E25/E42/E40 via Wallonia, then either via Duesseldorf and Dortmund for the shortest route, or E40/E41 from Koeln onwards for a more scenic and often less busy route.

Stop off in Wuppertal and check out the Schwebebahn. Some excellent eateries there as well

Concert is in Berlin late afternoon Sat. Was thinking early Eurotunnel 7/8ish AM on Fri to Calais and arrive in Berlin by 5/6PM on Fri eve. Will that work? Cruising at 80/90MPH with an occiasional "Hack"!

Not a chance. Can always take the ferry from Harwich-From Hoek van Holland and then to Berlin nut it will stilll take you a good 10 hrs to drive. Ferry leaves every night at 2230 Hrs (or was is 2300 Hrs?), arrives just in time for the dutch rush hour.... not fun! But it can be done.

Calais would take alot longer than 10 hrs.... via Brussels which is a nightmare at almost anytime of the day.

Fly? BA, LH etc all fly to Berlin, but personally I avoid Ryanair like the plague! I do this trip every month and hate driving it!

Or there is the Hull - Rotterdam crossing. Nice sailling on a decent boat, not sure how far Berlin is but Dusseldorf is about 3 hours from Rotterdam.

Last edited:
Calais to Düsseldorf is four to five hours, flat out, using Guido's route above.

I leave Cov at around 2pm, down to the chunnel (2.5 - 3 hours), straight through, and to an overnight stop at Aachen at around 9pm. Next morning, it's another hour to Düsseldorf, so whilst I've never driven to Berlin, I'd say seven hours is waaaay too optimistic.

PJ

Calais to Düsseldorf is four to five hours, flat out, using Guido's route above.

I leave Cov at around 2pm, down to the chunnel (2.5 - 3 hours), straight through, and to an overnight stop at Aachen at around 9pm. Next morning, it's another hour to Düsseldorf, so whilst I've never driven to Berlin, I'd say seven hours is waaaay too optimistic.

PJ

I do this particular route several times a year (and to Cologne), Calais to Dusseldorf is approx 3-3.5 Hrs at normal speeds (you def don't want to speed in Belgium).

At the times you mention, you hit the really bad rush in Belgium. Nightmare :crazy:

I've flown Lufthansa from Edinburgh , via Frankfurt , to Berlin Tegel - about a half hour taxi ride into the city from there - everything spot on .

ON now flydirect from Glasgow to Berlin , don't know which part of the country you are in ?

Oh , the U-bahn goes out to the stadium BTW.

I do this particular route several times a year (and to Cologne), Calais to Dusseldorf is approx 3-3.5 Hrs at normal speeds (you def don't want to speed in Belgium).

Well, I use that route regularly to go back to my family in Belgium and to do Calais to Duesseldorf in 3 hours is just not possible at any speed. In any event, the OP wants to go to Berlin, not Duesseldorf :rolleyes:.

At the times you mention, you hit the really bad rush in Belgium. Nightmare :crazy:

Sometimes I wonder why I bother to give any advice here at all :rolleyes:. See post 3, take the Southern route via Wallonia. Less busy motorways, leads you directly to Aachen and Cologne and you avoid the bottlenecks around Brussels or Antwerp (depending where you go). But why would you take the word of a Belgian for it?

Iv'e driven Polish/Czech border to Dunkirk (past Berlin) in one go in about 13 hours. I wouldn't do it again! I find Brussels ring road is challenging at whatever time of day or night!

Calais to Dusseldorf, by the most direct route (Antwerp) is a little over 250 miles. That requires an average speed of between 71 and 83mph!

Not what I'd call 'normal', given that "You def don't want to speed in Belgium".

As I've said a few times now :p, avoid the rings round Brussels and Antwerp like the plague. For a trip Calais to Berlin, there is no need to anyway...

Hi.

I've done the trip several times. About 4 times a year for the past 5 or so. Incidentally, always in MB cars, either a 1982 W123 or a 1987 W124, or a 1993 W124. And so far, no incidents to report apart from a a random border check crossing from Germany to the Netherlands.

Anyhow, I reckon about 10 hours from Calais to Berlin. The route I always take is:

Out of Calais following signs to Dunkerque, then Brugge (Through Belgium) Then towards Eindhoven, Antwerpen (Making sure to follow signs through the Kennedy tunnell or you'll end up in Antwerp city centre (not good)) Then into Germany via Dortmund, Hanover and eventually into Berlin.

There are many different routes, but this one is the one I've always taken, and works for me. Just try and avoid Dortmund during rush hour as it gets very busy.

Good luck, and enjoy the trip!!

Cheers.

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom