• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Anyone got a galaxy s6 edge?

ItalianTuneUp

MB Enthusiast
Car
S320CDI
What's your impression? Good points, bad points?

Best deal found on phone / airtime?

Yes, I'm considering one :)

Last edited:
Was seriously interested in one, but ended up with a Nexus 6.

Got a good deal from Carphone Warehouse, better than going direct to Vodafone.

The best offer I found there was about £46 per month all-in that includes the upfront charge, for:

- unlimited minutes
- unlimited texts
- 10GB data

which will definitely be more than enough to avoid risking extra data charges.

See EE Extra deal for monthly cost of £44.99, plus the upfront cost of £28.99.

http://www.smartphonecompany.co.uk/contract-mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-s6-edge

The EE Extra deal allows you to use your unlimited minutes and texts abroad within the included country list and back to the UK. Data abroad costs £3 for 50MB, or £25 for 500MB over a 7 day period, which is ok for light usage.

Last edited:
That is a good deal, seeing at it is £55 direct from EE plus £50 upfront. I have been with them for years (T-Mob) and not had any big issues with them. I have a similar deal with for £44 but with free insurance and free 080/084/087 numbers included (normally a few quid extra per month). Seeing as the edge is more expensive it's an even better deal

Is your deal for the standard S6 64GB or some other phone? Good to know you've not had issues with the network.

The price of £46 a month for the phone and airtime works out to about £17 a month for unlimited minutes, unlimited texts and 10GB of 4G data, which seems quite good.

Yes I have one. What do you want to know?

What's your general impression of it?

Speed of operation, impression holding it, ease of use, battery longevity etc. Oh and the edge features...seems you can customize the edge section quite heavily from what little I saw in the shop.

Which price/deal did you go for?

I've got one but just the normal and imo it's not as good as I expected, battery life lasts me a day to 2 days max

Just the general functions etc aren't as good as the iphone6 plus.

I only kept it because I'm used to Samsung's but otherwise I'd be going iphone plus the iphone 6 is faster too.

What's your general impression of it?

Speed of operation, impression holding it, ease of use, battery longevity etc. Oh and the edge features...seems you can customize the edge section quite heavily from what little I saw in the shop.

Which price/deal did you go for?

1. + It's a better S5. Faster and more powerful.

2. - Sadly during the transition from S5 to S6 it lost the user-replaceable battery, the Micro-SD card slot, the water proofing, and the USB 3 fast data connector.

3. + It is very well executed, the sleek metal case and top quality glass have a very high-quality feel to them, no more cheap-looking rubbery/plasticy surfaces of the old S5.

4. + The curved screen has a very nice feel to it, I do like it. However I do not use the edge feature at all. The bedside clock feature is not useful because the font is too small for anyone who needs reading glasses.

5. - It is very slippery! My wife calls it 'the wet bar of soap'. you will find it difficult to hold securely, and the very narrow sides (due to the curved screen) do not help. A case is a must.

6. + The hardware spec is amazing: camera, speed, display resolution, etc etc.

7. + - Battery life is the same as my previous S5. Some of my colleagues complained about heavy battery drainage, but this is not my experience.

8. + - I like it a lot... :) but I can't see it taking away business from Apple. It seems that Samsung have reached a glass ceiling - they built a better S5, but there is innovation. The curved screen is a nice design feature, but the edge it is no killer app. My view is that unless Samsung innovate, the battle between Apple and Samsung will remain largely trench warfare, perhaps with Apple creeping ahead.

Re price... we buy all our phones (iPhone/Andriod) simfree so pay outright, hence no deal as such.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Mark! Lots of interesting points you mentioned there. Did you get the 64GB model? Around £700?

Like you, I bought my current phone as a SIM-free (unlocked) phone. Buying monthly airtime to give network flexibility seemed a good idea and it's worked out fine so far with 3G data.

However, maybe it's just me, but it seems like the 4G airtime deals are more expensive than the 3G ones and I'd like a large data allowance to avoid costly extra data charges.

And so far, that deal I listed earlier works out to just under £17 a month for unlimited minutes & texts and 10GB of data, which sounds good I think...but I assume as it's a 24 month contract, the phone will be locked to the EE network? I'll have to check.

Regarding the battery no longer being user-replaceable, I would have thought a contract might be an advantage in this respect, as any battery issues would probably result in the supplier replacing the phone, but maybe not if the supplier is an online phone supplier such as I listed above? I think Carphone Warehouse mentioned that they have a next day replacement service but I don't remember if one had to pay extra for that or if it's included as standard.

Do you have any thoughts in this area, as not being able to replace the battery could be a right royal and costly pain in the future once the battery degrades?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Mark! Lots of interesting points you mentioned there. Did you get the 64GB model? Around £700?

Yes and Yes.

Like you, I bought my current phone as a SIM-free (unlocked) phone. Buying monthly airtime to give network flexibility seemed a good idea and it's worked out fine so far with 3G data.

However, maybe it's just me, but it seems like the 4G airtime deals are more expensive than the 3G ones and I'd like a large data allowance to avoid costly extra data charges.

And so far, that deal I listed earlier works out to just under £17 a month for unlimited minutes & texts and 10GB of data, which sounds good I think...but I assume as it's a 24 month contract, the phone will be locked to the EE network? I'll have to check.

Can't comment on that... we have a group business contract.

Regarding the battery no longer being user-replaceable, I would have thought a contract might be an advantage in this respect, as any battery issues would probably result in the supplier replacing the phone, but maybe not if the supplier is an online phone supplier such as I listed above? I think Carphone Warehouse mentioned that they have a next day replacement service but I don't remember if one had to pay extra for that or if it's included as standard.

Any thoughts in this area, as not being able to replace the battery could be a right royal and costly pain in the future once the battery degrades.

This is tricky. In essence you could argue that Apple have being doing this for years now, but then they offer very quick turnaround of iPhones under warranty, while with Samsung (if you are not covered by an operator contract) replacing the phone might not be as quick.

Said that, this only applies for the warranty period where the phone can not be opened by anyone apart from authorised Samsung techs.

iPhone batteries are in fact very much replaceable if you are happy to open the device, and if you do not have the skills then any phone repair booth on the high street will offer this service. I am assuming that the same will apply to S6 phones.

Is your deal for the standard S6 64GB or some other phone? Good to know you've not had issues with the network.

Sorry I should be more clear. My deal was last year for the HTC M8 when it was released. The fact you are pricing up the Edge (as you said around £700) then your deal is a good one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom