Audio 10 CD/Radio Aux Input - How to

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simonafloat

Car
ML270 CDI
Hi all,

I have been tinkering with my Audio 10 CD/radio unit and managed to get an auxillary input wired into it :) I have followed the same procedure as a guy on youtube, but his video wasn't easy to follow so I still had to do a lot of experimenting. It shares the radio preamp output and so to operate you first make sure that your ipod/mp3 player is turned right down, then make sure the radio is selected and turned right down. Then turn the radio volume up one click, then turn the volume up on the mp3 player to the desired level. The music volume is always adjusted from the mp3 player, not the audio 10. Sound quality it great, not like those RF things you plug in the back, CD quality basically.

So, how to do it. Get the audio 10 out of the car. Open the top of the unit, just 2 screws. then take the aluminium heatsink off the back (three screws). Now remove the CD unit, there is a screw at each corner and the unit needs prising upwards gently because it's held onto the PCB underneath with a socket.

Once the CD unit is removed, you need to solder thin wires to the audio processor IC. You need to solder thin cables to Pins 33, 34, 36 and 37. The IC is a TEA6880H, google it for the pinouts. 33 and 34 are audio right (front and rear), Pins 36 and 37 are audio left (front and rear). the audio ground is found on the circuit board near the IC, just above where it says 'E220' on the PCB. Solder a thin wire to this. You will need to be proficient in the use of a precision soldering iron for all of this because it's all very fiddly!

Now route the wires out the back of the unit. You could drill a hole in the heatsink and fit a 3.5mm stereo jack socket to it and solder all the wires to that. Then you have an aux socket on the back of the audio 10 that you can route to wherever you want. Drop the CD unit back in and reassemble the audio 10. What I did was mount a 3.5mm stereo jack socket inside the ashtray of my ML270 with a cable soldered to the back of that. I then took that cable and routed it behind the dashboard and soldered a 3.5mm stereo jack to it which just plugs into the socket I mounted on the back of the Audio 10.

I have a photo of the circuit board showing the soldered connections, but not sure how to attach it to this!

Cheers all

Simon

I know this is a year old but I am confused, a 3.5mm stereo jack has 3 connections Earth Right & left, yet these instructions have 5 connections to the circuit board, Can you explain please.

Thanks

I know this is a year old but I am confused, a 3.5mm stereo jack has 3 connections Earth Right & left, yet these instructions have 5 connections to the circuit board, Can you explain please.

Thanks

My guess is that if you only have left and right to feed in, then join front and rear left, and front and rear right?. The fact the chip handles 4 channels will not be relevant in your case?

Neil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom