Automatic gearbox slipping - when?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

columb

Car
W212
Hi!

I was told that my gearbox seems to be slipping.
How one can tell that gearbox is slipping? Are there any faults expected with star? Are there any tests to be carried out?

Many thanks!

Cheers
Chris

Last edited:
Olly told me that:)

Also, he has advised me to do oil change ASAP but my local MB dealer question that (without seen a car tbh so I don't know really).

Now, should I trust Olly (and I kind of moving towards that direction) or should I go to MB and make them to sort out my problems?

My car was seen so far by 4 different garages, was driven by 4 different people, was connected to 3 different diags machines and always different advice!!!

I just can't believe that is so hard to diagnose and fix problem on modern car with millions sensors, computers etc... Also, this is Mercedes - just 4
years old- so I shouldn't have problems...

:( I'm bit dissapointed. I can't be paying for diags and replacing random parts which might be at fault.

Tbh- Olly at least rulled out boost preasure sensor and air mass sensor. Plus he didn't charged me for diags. And it looks like this guy knows what is doing. The only problem is that I'm in Exeter and Olly is in Portsmouth which means extra £50 for diesel...

Cheers
Chris

Olly told me that:)

Also, he has advised me to do oil change ASAP but my local MB dealer question that (without seen a car tbh so I don't know really).

Now, should I trust Olly (and I kind of moving towards that direction) or should I go to MB and make them to sort out my problems?

My car was seen so far by 4 different garages, was driven by 4 different people, was connected to 3 different diags machines and always different advice!!!

I just can't believe that is so hard to diagnose and fix problem on modern car with millions sensors, computers etc... Also, this is Mercedes - just 4
years old- so I shouldn't have problems...

:( I'm bit dissapointed. I can't be paying for diags and replacing random parts which might be at fault.

Tbh- Olly at least rulled out boost preasure sensor and air mass sensor. Plus he didn't charged me for diags. And it looks like this guy knows what is doing. The only problem is that I'm in Exeter and Olly is in Portsmouth which means extra £50 for diesel...

Cheers
Chris
Good indie in Paignton. Star should show if your box is slipping. Make sure you check the oil level in the box before spending loads of cash. Oil and filter should be changed after app 60k.

I would take Olly's advice. I changed my ATF at 50 k miles. What came out was brown and well done. What went back in was red and clean.

The filter also had a lot of gunge in it and I am glad that I changed it. I also noticed a smoother change up in the gears straight away, but faster change down, which I believe is good.

I do this sort of thing regular on HGVs, but I must admit, it was my first time doing this on a car, never mind an MB.

I would buy the ATF, filter, sump gasket and dipstick myself, then get an indie to do the job, while you are present. Remember the dipstick would be yours to keep, and if you wanted rid of it, you would sell it no problem for at least half the price, even to another on this forum, if not by ebay.

No damage to be done in changing your ATF and filter, only good !....oh, what is the mileage ? and buy a sump magnet, if you plan to keep the car long enough for another oil change.

Last edited:
For a oil change my MB will charge me £199 or less :)

Thanks guys for a advice!

Cheers
Chris

For a oil change my MB will charge me £199 or less :)

Thanks guys for a advice!

Cheers
Chris

£199 for gearbox oil change is expensive........ buy the MB gearbox oil from ebay and filters from MB dont forget the magnet.... and get a indie to do it will save you at least £50

Raj

£50 for all the hassle is not really worth TBH. But thanks for the advice!
My MB dealer is quite cheap (cheaper than www.mercedes-benz-parts.co.uk)
and I like them. No problems with loaner + MB service :)

£50 is what I can pay extra for Brand And Quality.

Cheers
Chris

£50 for all the hassle is not really worth TBH. But thanks for the advice!
My MB dealer is quite cheap (cheaper than www.mercedes-benz-parts.co.uk)
and I like them. No problems with loaner + MB service :)

£50 is what I can pay extra for Brand And Quality.

Cheers
Chris
If you like them, why go 4 different dealers. I don't understand, Do you like them all ?

If you like them, why go 4 different dealers. I don't understand, Do you like them all ?

OK, so it's not that easy. When I've asked for a advice I was told that indie are usually better. I've looked into forums and found some very good posts about few garages but nothing about my local MB.
Plus they couldn't find the fault but fault was more intermittent when they've checked so maybe was not there? I'm surprised that my STAR is not showing any problems:(

So by now only Olly has come up with some ideas but also said that he needs car for proper diags.
2nd place goes to my local MB as they've couldn't find the fault but as well ruled out some things (like Olly).
Other two indies were completely WRONG.
And now- as Olly is in Portsmouth and I'm in Exeter I think I will use my local MB with their Price Match promotion :) (I've got proper garage who can do for me a quotation).

I hate when people don't know what their are talking about AND charge you for rubbish advise.

Cheers
Chris

It would be well worth it to go to portsmouth and ollys place.Hes a top mechanic.Forget the rest:D

It would be well worth it to go to portsmouth and ollys place.Hes a top mechanic.Forget the rest:D

Totally agree, if you want piece of mind and somone who has tons of experience with Mercedes and knows what he is doing i would make the trip and what ever else needs doing can be seen to all in one trip! ;)

OK, no one has explained "HOW TO TELL" that gearbox is slipping? :)
Can anyone explain please? :)

I know that it sounds stupid :( I just don't know (or I don't know that I know)

Cheers
Chris

OK, no one has explained "HOW TO TELL" that gearbox is slipping?
Can anyone explain please? :)

I know that it sounds stupid :( I just don't know (or I don't know that I know)

Cheers
Chris
Engine revs increase but road speed doesn't. You can do a stall test where you put in drive position with brakes applied whilst stationary, revs should not continue to increase above set amount. BE CAREFUL as you can burn out the box if you rev for too long. Don't carry out this test with anything in front of you either.:)

Engine revs increase but road speed doesn't. You can do a stall test where you put in drive position with brakes applied whilst stationary, revs should not continue to increase above set amount. BE CAREFUL as you can burn out the box if you rev for too long. Don't carry out this test with anything in front of you either.:)

What amount? 2k? 5k? :)

Thanks!
Chris

It's unlikely you will be able to judge possible slip by the rev counter, it's more of a "feel" that the engine is pulling, but the car aint.

In your case, sound like the revs would be in 10s to maybe 100s rpm, not K.

The first thing you need to do, is get the box dipped. Better still, change the ATF and filter.

Last edited:
What amount? 2k? 5k? :)

Thanks!
Chris

About 2k or so for a CDi.

Traction off, nearly full beans, hold for a bit then write a nice number 11 when you lift off the brake....Ahhh..bliss..:D

About 2k or so for a CDi.

Traction off, nearly full beans, hold for a bit then write a nice number 11 when you lift off the brake....Ahhh..bliss..:D
Diesel man, Sounds like you have encountered this problem of box slip in a CDI before. My experiences of box slip are ussually down to torque slip, ussually fluiid flywheel problem.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom