Axe grinding like noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2011dandd

Car
S124 e220
Hi everyone just looking for some advise please.

my s124 is making an axe grinding like noise but only when going around seeming bends. Turning into the drive or out of a junction or in a straight line no noise is made at all.

Another thing of note when I start it up in the morning the low brake pad light flickers but then goes out. So I have bought new pads, this does not explain the noise to me though. Any ideas?

My first guess, and that's obviously all it is without looking at it, would be a stone or something caught between the disc backplate and the disc itself.

The extra force of the wheel on the bend would normally be enough to just push it that extra thou to make a difference.

Might be the rear axle hub bearing on that side. I believe they can be replaced in situ with a large impact puller by someone who knows what they are doing otherwise it had be a hub off / on the bench job. If ordering a replacement bearing note the estate has a heavier duty bearing than the saloon.

Jack each corner up in turn and give the road wheel a good spin/pull etc , listen for noise, check discs and disc covers, look closely at disc pad wear to see if it is even....

Back plate of the disc pads rubbing the disc . This is because the forodo material is no more and its metal to metal contact . Whats it like when you brake .

I agree a stone stuck between disc and backplate is the most likely but there's also another old favourite, the parking brake cable rubbing on the propshaft caused by broken clips.

I think you should (physically) investigate ASAP.

The wear sensor is only on one side of the disc, so if they have worn unevenly and the side without the sensor may have worn away completely.

Axe grinding you say?

It could be coming from the Brexit thread.

Cheers everyone

I’m pretty unfamiliar with this car I have not had it long or done much to it.

I will of course investigate, to be honest I can’t really tell if it coming from the front or rear.

Going through all the old receipts I can see that it’s had brake pads on the rear a few times but nothing on the front hence why I bought some front pads, thought I was using a bit of common there, maybe not.

need to have a look at it then. “brexit thread” Ha ha quality

Just to update
Rebuilt the rear brakes and replaced the discs and handbrake shoes and springs etc.
Was bugger all lining left on the old shoes and most had fallen off. Grinding has stopped, I reckon it was pieces of the old shoes getting caught occasionally

My W204 C63 is making a similar grinding noise, say for example pulling away at a roundabout with a small incline with the wheels turned slightly, I can hear a rumbling grinding noise which goes away once the car is going straight. My nearside front disc has corrosion on the inner edge, part of feels that the brakes are maybe sticking...anyone else had this issue?

You could spin the wheel and hold a file against the rust build up till it gone . And you could have have a lip on the outer edge also back and front ,,do the same for that . Also check the back plate ,,,some times a stone can get stuck in the midle of the back plate and the disc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom