Becker Map Pilot "Genuine Copy" updates from ebay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

1958neil

Car
2006 SLK 200
I have finally decided I need to update the maps on my Becker Map Pilot fitted in my 2015 C Class, the unit was fitted when I bought the car brand new from my local dealer and the salesman "helpfully" suggested I left it for about 18 months before I registered the unit with Becker and then got my free first update......big mistake on my part!
When I did connect the unit to the laptop and went onto the Becker site I got the message that the free update time had expired and it would cost 89 euros to update, not exactly a bargain!
For the next 4 years I made do with the maps that were installed when the unit was made, but now it is really well out of date and I either buy a Garmin or Tom Tom from Halfords of have my pockets picked by Becker. However after a look on ebay I saw some Becker Map Pilot "Genuine Copy" updates for sale for around £15, these are actually a link to a download from I know not where but there seems to be plenty of positive feedback to suggest they work. The issue is that I see identical advert from sellers in Greece, Albania, the USA and the UK so I`m wondering if this is a scam or do these update links really work?

Have any members used these update links and if so did they really worl ok?
Thanks
Neil

They probably work (maybe) but they are stolen software so depends whether your comfortable with using stolen goods.

To be honest, €89 for updated EU maps doesn't sound too bad, especially is you are only updating every 4 years.

I wouldn't go for the potentially-pirated copy off eBay that could potentially brick you device.

either buy a Garmin or Tom Tom from Halfords of have my pockets picked by Becker.
A quick noodle round the Halfords website suggests the cheapest SatNav with life time maps is 90 quid; so the choice is the official Becker update for 89 Eu (£77) or have a Garmin suction-cupped to your windscreen....

A quick noodle round the Halfords website suggests the cheapest SatNav with life time maps is 90 quid; so the choice is the official Becker update for 89 Eu (£77) or have a Garmin suction-cupped to your windscreen....

If the Halfords satnav includes live traffic subscription, that's a good case in favour of it....

If the Halfords satnav includes live traffic subscription, that's a good case in favour of it....
It's live traffic using a smartphone link app, so yes and no.
I must admit I still use my old Garmin windscreen mount nav on the odd occasion I venture into unknown territory; it just seems to work better than either the Becker in my S204 or the SEAT system ( which I think is Garmin ) built into Mrs Spiky's Leon.

Do roads change so much that you really need the updated maps? My experience is that if it gets me close enough it is good enough and have used old GPS maps many many times.

HOWEVER, I'm from a generation that can find my way without GPS. ;)

Do roads change so much that you really need the updated maps? My experience is that if it gets me close enough it is good enough and have used old GPS maps many many times.

HOWEVER, I'm from a generation that can find my way without GPS. ;)

Depends.

The roads in London have changed dramatically over the past 12 months. Many residential side streets streets are now closed to through traffic. Other were made into public transport only routes. Additionally, the utility companies seem to be catching-up on roadworks they (presumably) delayed last year, leading to many temporary road closures. In fact, now that I started driving again after the last lockdown, I realised I can't drive without Waze (though Google Maps or Apple Maps are probably OK) - nothing else can cope with the changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom