Becker Map Pilot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bb3008

Car
mercedes SLK
Like many other folk on here I too have recently acquired a Becker map pilot that doesn't work - it came with a 2014 SLK from my neighbour who told me the sat nav needed a card!
I now know it needs more than a card it needs a replacement device (and I don't want to fall out her); however, i have purchased from eBay an SD card with 'all the necessary files' for it to work..... but it doesn't.
I am trying to negotiate a refund but in case I am unsuccessful I'm wondering if there is anyone in the North West of England (Southport) who is a) selling one which works (not silly money please) or b) is happy to donate their unworking one for me to try and utilise this (un) remarkable SD card. Thanks

Have you checked the battery in the Becker Map Pilot unit? It takes a rechargeable li-ion hjs100 battery, which you can get on eBay for about £14. It's worth taking the unit out and removing the battery to see what voltage it's putting out, if any.

Have you checked the battery in the Becker Map Pilot unit? It takes a rechargeable li-ion hjs100 battery, which you can get on eBay for about £14. It's worth taking the unit out and removing the battery to see what voltage it's putting out, if any.
thanks for your suggestion however i have tried to delete files and folders with a view to recreating them ALL WITH THE BATTERY REMOVED and although the 'deletes' and 'copy/paste' etc. are not completely successful, the device does remain viewable within MS file-explorer so i think i can assume the battery is irrelevant at this stage. i presume it is used when vehicle is switched off and settings are then retained? but thanks anyway :)

thanks for your suggestion however i have tried to delete files and folders with a view to recreating them ALL WITH THE BATTERY REMOVED and although the 'deletes' and 'copy/paste' etc. are not completely successful, the device does remain viewable within MS file-explorer so i think i can assume the battery is irrelevant at this stage. i presume it is used when vehicle is switched off and settings are then retained? but thanks anyway :)
I don't think that's the case at all. My understanding is that the battery is key to the unit working. The fact that it's connected to the car battery means nothing as that connection just exists to re-charge the battery in the unit. The internal battery is not just there to retain settings. The unit actually runs from that battery not the car battery. If the re-chargeable battery needs replacing it may well allow you to view files etc., but may not be sufficient to run the map data. This unit would have presumably worked at some point, and the electronics are fairly solid, so if it was me I'd definitely be checking the battery rather making assumptions. :)

Battery is relevant. You probably have a different model device but this guide may help Becker Map Pilot Update Drama

I don't think that's the case at all. My understanding is that the battery is key to the unit working. The fact that it's connected to the car battery means nothing as that connection just exists to re-charge the battery in the unit. The internal battery is not just there to retain settings. The unit actually runs from that battery not the car battery. If the re-chargeable battery needs replacing it may well allow you to view files etc., but may not be sufficient to run the map data. This unit would have presumably worked at some point, and the electronics are fairly solid, so if it was me I'd definitely be checking the battery rather making assumptions. :)
sorry for the delay in replying. i have recently bought a replacement om eBay and it works fine. in light of your suggestion i will swap the battery from my 'new' device into my 'old' and see if it works as you suggest. Hopefully this exercise won't impact on my working unit?🤞

Battery is relevant. You probably have a different model device but this guide may help Becker Map Pilot Update Drama
sorry for the delay in replying. i have recently bought a replacement om eBay and it works fine. in light of your suggestion i will swap the battery from my 'new' device into my 'old' and see if it works as you suggest. Hopefully this exercise won't impact on my working unit?🤞

well, an update as promised: I removed the (working) battery from my new Becker and inserted it into my 'not working' Becker and inserted into the holder and...........it still didn't work.
I actually tried inserting the 'not working' Becker WITHOUT any battery and the display showed there was no battery inserted.
Fortunately, having replaced the working battery back into my 'new' Becker, everything still works fine :)

well, an update as promised: I removed the (working) battery from my new Becker and inserted it into my 'not working' Becker and inserted into the holder and...........it still didn't work.
I actually tried inserting the 'not working' Becker WITHOUT any battery and the display showed there was no battery inserted.
Fortunately, having replaced the working battery back into my 'new' Becker, everything still works fine :)

further update below, but....

<<Irish accent>> to be sure, to be sure, to be sure
in my defence.....i was attempting to reply to 2 people then i realised i was actually replying to me!! so i did them again.
Members of the jury, how do you find the defendant??

1. The Becker Map Pilot does not need an SD-Card in order to work. The SD-Card slot is for memory expansion in the event that the owner wishes to have more maps than can be contained in the built-in 8gb. But unless you drive the car across several continents, the additional memory on SD-Card won't be needed.

2. The Becker Map Pilot is protected from voltage fluctuations by using a rechargeable Li-ion battery. The battery provides stable power to the device, and in turn it is being charged by the car. The Becker Map Pilot will not work without the Li-ion battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom