• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Belt or chain?

Gollom

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)
SWMBO has picked up a 2010 Kia Picanto 1.1 Domino - t'internet is a bit vague on belt or chain. Can I tell by just looking at the engine? (Pic below - and they did clean the battery terminals!)

kia-picanto-hatchback-petrol-4712bd373d10.jpg

Does the Picanto have a belt or chain camshaft?​

Does the Kia Picanto have a belt or chain camshaft? If belt when should it be changed?

Asked on 5 September 2016 by Cono

537450_458533677529584_1473549666_n.jpg
Answered by Honest John

The original Picanto was belt. The 2nd generation Picanto is chain.

Does the Picanto have a belt or chain camshaft?​

Does the Kia Picanto have a belt or chain camshaft? If belt when should it be changed?

Asked on 5 September 2016 by Cono

537450_458533677529584_1473549666_n.jpg
Answered by Honest John

The original Picanto was belt. The 2nd generation Picanto is chain.
Ta. Saw that one - but there are conflicting views as to generation for 2010. I think 2nd generation is 2011 onwards

SWMBO has picked up a 2010 Kia Picanto 1.1 Domino - t'internet is a bit vague on belt or chain. Can I tell by just looking at the engine? (Pic below - and they did clean the battery terminals!)

View attachment 139833

This looks to me like the G4HG engine, which is belt driven. You can just about see the top of the timing belt plastic housing in the photo, to the left of the engine (left of the yellow dipstick, and under the wiring loom and connector).

See for example:

Found the answer - it is belt

The confusion is that although the Picanto has been revised three times, the first two revisions are referred to as Gen 1 and the third as Gen 2. Go figure

Thanks everybody

Bit late to this thread but i find the quickest way to find out if a vehicle has a belt or a chain is to go to one of the big online motor factors websites (ECP. CP4less, GSF etc etc) and put the reg number in and look under engine parts. It will the offer you either a replacement belt or a chain for that model.

Bit late to this thread but i find the quickest way to find out if a vehicle has a belt or a chain is to go to one of the big online motor factors websites (ECP. CP4less, GSF etc etc) and put the reg number in and look under engine parts. It will the offer you either a replacement belt or a chain for that model.
Nice bit of lateral thinking!

Nice bit of lateral thinking!...

Agreed , but not always reliable . One (of a few) examples . A long while back I bought a aux belt for the wife's Zafira (of which there must be tens of thousands built) using the reg.

It was the wrong belt despite me telling them additional info , 'petrol 1.8 with air con. '

When I took it back the bloke said that during that year they changed the build slightly , he had 2 numbers on his screen and took a guess at which one it was ! :p nob.

It's not always reliable, all the big online shops (and Halfords ;)) list the wrong battery for my car for instance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom