Blackvue Dashcam in E63S

• Thread starter Deleted member 154425
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I fitted my Nextbase Duo myself in both my cars ( I bought a second GPS mount and hard wired into a permanent live I found up above the interior light ) simple . The camera does not drain the battery when parked ; I have left the car over a week without difficulty .

I would venture the OP almost certainly will have issues with an E63S on the power situation!

Modern Mercs are right on the edge and any small current drain upsets them.

I didn't wire mine into permanent live as my car lives at work or in a garage - I'm willing to take the risk on the small number of times it is not in either location.

However, if I was you OP I would consider the additional battery pack or keep the car on a trickle when not using - or don't wire into permanent if you don't need it whilst parks.

I fitted BV 650s into a Nissan Juke and Seat Altea and it was very easy if you are the DIY type.

I got mine done when I had audio upgraded as trim was going to be off anyway but I never had to remove anything to do the install in the above cars.

Considering a dash cam and I used to have Blackvue in most of my cars. Now the problem is, most fitter don't even respond to enquiries, which I presume is down to the whole covid thing.

Has anyone got experience with doing that themselves in an E Estate ?

Don't really want to go to 'any' garage and end up with a hanging down roof lining :p

Don’t know what part of the UK you are from but I’ve recently been corresponding with these guys in Nottingham and I’m impressed so far with their responses to my queries. Have a look at their website.
They are also authorised fitters for Blackvue.

TTW - Installations Nottingham

I would venture the OP almost certainly will have issues with an E63S on the power situation!

Modern Mercs are right on the edge and any small current drain upsets them.

I didn't wire mine into permanent live as my car lives at work or in a garage - I'm willing to take the risk on the small number of times it is not in either location.

However, if I was you OP I would consider the additional battery pack or keep the car on a trickle when not using - or don't wire into permanent if you don't need it whilst parks.

I fitted BV 650s into a Nissan Juke and Seat Altea and it was very easy if you are the DIY type.

I got mine done when I had audio upgraded as trim was going to be off anyway but I never had to remove anything to do the install in the above cars.

Mmm the power situation is a good point. Indo have a trickle charger but that isn't a solution for days I might be away.

I live in a quiet area with little to no crime so I am more concerned about the says I need to drive 200 miles to our office. The more I think about the more I wonder if a on-demand solution (sucker cup mounted / ciggy lighter as mentioned earlier) is actually a better solution for those 2-3 trips per months.

Don’t know what part of the UK you are from but I’ve recently been corresponding with these guys in Nottingham and I’m impressed so far with their responses to my queries. Have a look at their website.
They are also authorised fitters for Blackvue.

TTW - Installations Nottingham

Nottingham is probably same as Essex for me in terms of mileage.

But it seems I need to rethink the whole thing.

Yea drilling is not an option for me tbh.
While I’m not worried about drilling holes in places they will never be seen , for a dashcam there was no need .

It was just a matter of positioning the adhesive mount so the camera sits out of sight behind the mirror , pop out the interior light and identify permanent live ( or ignition live if you prefer - used that when I retrofitted the auto dimming RVM ) . There is plenty of space above the headlining to lose the small 12V - 5V power converter and easy to pop the mini USB lead out of the edge of the trim just above the camera . If you don’t wish to cut into cables , it is easy to just unplug the multi connector feeding the dome light and insert the fused power lead for the camera into the appropriate receptacle on the connector before plugging it back in .

At the same time as that I put in the mic for my Bury carkit , taking the lead across to the A pillar , down behind the trim and out of sight to the centre console where the main unit is hidden behind the radio . The phone cradle sticks securely to the side of the console with tape which leaves no residue or marks if removed .

With a healthy 100Ah battery , the dashcam in parking mode makes no discernible difference to the car starting after over a week .

Beyond that sort of timescale one always risks the alarm system draining the battery anyway .

Is that a standby or recording all the time parking mode ?

Mmm the power situation is a good point. Indo have a trickle charger but that isn't a solution for days I might be away.

I live in a quiet area with little to no crime so I am more concerned about the says I need to drive 200 miles to our office. The more I think about the more I wonder if a on-demand solution (sucker cup mounted / ciggy lighter as mentioned earlier) is actually a better solution for those 2-3 trips per months.

Nottingham is probably same as Essex for me in terms of mileage.

But it seems I need to rethink the whole thing.

The magic pro will solve your power issues. You can program it to cut out when the battery gets below 12 v or you can set a time for it cut off when not using parking mode on the BlackVue.

Some good deals for the DR900S at the moment (for BlackVue that is) because there is a new model on its way DR900X.

As above - you can set the BVMP to cut out when it reaches a certain voltage.

I personally am still not keen and I only really care about having the camera on when I drive.

Mine would probably be in a 12v socket had I not done the audio.

My other half's is like that and just leaves it in the 12v which is obviously a switched live.

She removes the camera when leaving the car.

Then there's cameras that wake up with G Shock , hopefully capturing footage , never impacting on the battery's normality performance.

Recording 24/7 , night time and rain footage is rubbish.

Then there's cameras that wake up with G Shock , hopefully capturing footage , never impacting on the battery's normality performance.

Not if it captures car park damage , or someone keying the side of your car , which wouldn’t trigger the G shock detector .

Remember the black guy down south who keyed an Aston and was traced from the footage .

A 64Gb card takes a while to overwrite .

A guy at my work has a CLS with a cheaper-variety camera.

Someone doing a three point turn hit his car and decided to drive off.

Lovely clear shot of the illuminated number as he carried on turning round...

So not always hopeless at night.

All lighting dependant , guess rear number plate lights are key , hit from the front of a car it's lights probably light saturation blurr everything .

Good catch .

Decisions decisions decisions. Good food for thought here guys. Thanks.

All lighting dependant , guess rear number plate lights are key , hit from the front of a car it's lights probably light saturation blurr everything .

Yeah, both were in attendance although it was raining too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom