• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Brake shudder

BeckyMac33

Car
Mercedes CLS350 Shooting Brake
Morning, bought my CLS350d Shooting Brake in December. 'They' replaced front discs and pads. Braking was vicious even when being as careful as possible bedding them in. However after a few weeks, passenger side developed an intermittent shudder. 70mph, barely anything, below 60, bad, below 30 ok. Left it a while to see if it wore itself out. It didn't, took it to my Local Independent, who had a look, and popped it onto mot bay. Nothing significant. I've since thrashed the brakes to see if that shifts any build up. Brakes are awesome, stop really well, but I'm sick of my eyeballs watering when braking 🤣.
I don't know if 'They' put on genuine Merc, I doubt it. What discs do you all recommend? Brembo? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-04-21-06-45-48-83_e31d19e99ee0b334f92cd519696ee652.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-04-21-06-45-48-83_e31d19e99ee0b334f92cd519696ee652.jpg
    468.7 KB · Views: 2
Yep had poor 20K old warpped Pagid front discs on another car and put Brembo on to cure .

Even reused the old but not ordinary pads .

Do not put BREMBO brakes on your car. The quality does not match the price adn I have have wasted €300 on a pair of front discs. I have just had to replace my front discs after 10k km because they warped by 3mm! This also destroyed both front wheel bearings. I have replaced with "ABS" brand (a Dutch firm) sold by AUTODOC and after another 10k km they are still fine. Yes Brembo make for MB and the original disks last 90k km before the lip was too big and had to be replaced. If you can, and if GSF do their own brand for your car (they don't for mine) then get their GTech own brand. I have never ever had an issues with those and never ever had to subsequently replace one, they are first classs quality.

I believe there are two issues with Brembo discs. First there are a lot of fake parts and secondly the Brembo brakes on the consumer market can be of different grades to the genuine OEM supply i.e. Brembo sell cheap parts and expensive parts. So if you buy cheap Brembo discs you are buying cheap discs.

I believe there are two issues with Brembo discs. First there are a lot of fake parts and secondly the Brembo brakes on the consumer market can be of different grades to the genuine OEM supply i.e. Brembo sell cheap parts and expensive parts. So if you buy cheap Brembo discs you are buying cheap discs.
Mine were bought from AutoDoc Germany (reputible) and in their original packaging with or original holigrams and "Made in Italy" stamped on the box. Either way at €150 each it was a total waste of money and sadly I will never touch them again. When I originally posted about this on my YouTube channel a number of people commented that they had had the same issues (and not just for fitment on MB's).

I've / my immediate family have all bought 3 pairs of Brembo discs ( two front, one rear ) in last 3 years from Autodoc and ECP without issue .

Lots of fake parts about .

Mine were bought from AutoDoc Germany (reputible) and in their original packaging with or original holigrams and "Made in Italy" stamped on the box. Either way at €150 each it was a total waste of money and sadly I will never touch them again. When I originally posted about this on my YouTube channel a number of people commented that they had had the same issues (and not just for fitment on MB's).
Thanks, I've just bought Merc Discs and Pads. Thanks for all your help.

Thanks, I've just bought Merc Discs and Pads. Thanks

I fitted ATE discs and pads on my W211. They were pretty good.

There are a lot of fakes about.
In my work as an inspection engineer, I have encountered major problems of quality with materials that were line-marked "Made in Italy".
I know damn-well that they were of Chinese manufacture.

Interesting enough, in 2021 when I got my CLS 350 SB, an official MB retailer from Berkshire has fitted 4 new tyres (I guess they have balanced the wheels) and new front disks and pads.
Couple weeks later a gentle vibration when applying brakes started developing. They replied that the disks look ok and the guarantee was only 1000 miles, so, nothing they could do.
Along the next 2 years, either when in for MOT or Services, I always asked them to check and solve the issue because it was not right. They kept saying that the disks were ok and I should check wheels and tyres.

Only now, that I have tried another official MB retailer (also in Berkshire) to who I have explained the problem, the issue was solved. They have proposed to "reface and re-bed the disks and pads". It solved the problem.
I recall reading in a forum that if the hubs were not properly cleaned, the disks could develop some jugger, and I suspect this was the case. Even in official retailers, one needs to account for incompetence and carelessness.

Check the discs for runout before condemning them. We had a previous car with a sliiiiiiiightly worn front balljoint that caused judder under braking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom