buying a XC90 (sorry)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The XC90 is built in the USA irrc which may explain their slightly "variable" build quality. When they first came out you could buy them with a wide variety of powerplants-- straight6-- V8--- 5 cylinder diesels etc I believe the first diesels were a bit underpowered but power was BOOSTED [literally] in later versions of the essentially the same engine 163bhp -185 bhp + torque increase . Currently i think they may only available with a 5 cylinder diesel automatic which should tell you something about the second hand market also???

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/volvo/xc90-2002/?

Last edited:
If its the older Disco 2 they look very basic inside with lots of plastic.

Not necessarily. Lots are GS/ES spec, and numerous cows have been sacrificed to make these interiors!

Owing to reputation, Disco's can be excellent value but the common faults are often fixed by the time they are sold on the used market...

wot gizzie said.

Discounts on new are massive. Hold 2nd hand prices well. Therefore not much difference between new and old. Might as well get new. Check drive the deal to get an idea of potential discounts.

XC90 has to be one of the oldest looking new cars on sale. Barely changed since it came out.

Have you considered a new Kia Sorento or Hyundai Santa Fe instead. Much better looking imho and massive warranties too

xc90 is a damn fine car with a proven engine.

Not pretty though XC60 is much better looking.

Heard an interview with Volvo PR guy that said XC90 isn't even due a new model or significant facelift soon too

Mrs BTB reckons her friend's XC90 is cheap & nasty inside compared to her 140k mile 15 year old Audi!

XC90 interior does look a little old, but good quality.

XC60 interior on the other hand looks fresh and modern, very clean design.

Volvo-XC60%20(18).jpg

We'll be selling our 04 XC90 in a few weeks......2.5 TD, 7 seats, comms, winter, Nav, phone, etc....

There are some amazing deals on new XC90s at the moment, mate just bought a brand new R-Design, with all the toys, list price £43,000 and paid £30,000 for it.

He was looking at up to 3 year old ones, however they were £25k so didn't make much sense.
Facelift coming Oct apparently.

Can I just ask what dealer was that from please?

most volvo dealers i think. they have been giving massive discount on new xc90's for a couple of years now.

still im going second hand, 3 year ones are much closer to 15 then 25 so will be much more economical for pretty much the same thing.

personally i never understood why anyone but millionaires buy new cars

XC90 is a fine car-earlier models had some issues-Bevel angle gear leak-results in loss of 4WD,wheel bearings(later design changed) and d5 engine underpowered for such a car but generally reliable and safe-later models seem to have more powerful engines-a reasonable costeffective package:thumb:

most volvo dealers i think. they have been giving massive discount on new xc90's for a couple of years now.

still im going second hand, 3 year ones are much closer to 15 then 25 so will be much more economical for pretty much the same thing.

personally i never understood why anyone but millionaires buy new cars
they aren't.

Cheapest ones are £20K+ 3 years/decent mileage.

£13K discount on a brand new car is too good to miss :)

Another reason for me is that I have an 11 plate reg number waiting to on a car that (for obvious reasons) can't be over 6 months old :)

they aren't.

Cheapest ones are £20K+ 3 years/decent mileage.

£13K discount on a brand new car is too good to miss :)

Another reason for me is that I have an 11 plate reg number waiting to on a car that (for obvious reasons) can't be over 6 months old :)

its not really a discount of 13k, it just 13k off a sticker price that (hopefully) no one pays. you've been able to get these "deals" from volvo for some time.

maybe if you look at volvo approved they are 20k. start looking a bit more closely and you'll see you can find -08 cars from about 15k with about 60k miles on them.

Running a new car for 3 yrs (with the "discount") over buying a 2nd hand will cost you atleast twice as much. And there will be no real difference between the cars

Last edited:
I don't think I would pay nearly 50% more for those small changes, I say grab a bargain and get a 2011 model.

its not really a discount of 13k, it just 13k off a sticker price that (hopefully) no one pays. you've been able to get these "deals" from volvo for some time.

maybe if you look at volvo approved they are 20k. start looking a bit more closely and you'll see you can find -08 cars from about 15k with about 60k miles on them.

Running a new car for 3 yrs (with the "discount") over buying a 2nd hand will cost you atleast twice as much. And there will be no real difference between the cars
While I wouldn't argue with you over the "sticker price" debate - the last time I went into a Volvo dealership I had £25K in my pocket but they refused to offer any discounts on the "sticker price" of the then new XC60 or any trim updates; instead told me that I'll have to wait 12 to 16 weeks at a minimum to get my car.

Also, looking at the Q7's most people seem to be paying the sticker price when buying new or getting a trim upgrade or a 6%-8% discount on the new price.

The used Evoque sellers are actually trying to make profit!

I guess the discounts depend on what the supply and demand ratio is and discount figures shouldn't be taken for granted.

In theory, you're correct. However, the used market for XC90's doesnt' seem to indicate the monetary loss you're referring to.

I spoke to a Volvo dealership today and the best price he could offer me on a year old 'used' car was £32K-33K, when I told him about the discounts on autoebid he agreed he won't be able to match them with his used cars.

Which leads me to the question: buy new at a price that compensates for one year depreciation (and take a hit on year 2 & 3) or buy a three year old car with (effectively at the new buying price) only includes a tiny saving on the currently depreciation between one and year three.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom