C Class c200 or c280 advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
That shows how its done not complicated and if the dealers genuine he'll show you that.
Even if it's ok now doesn't mean it won't happen in another few thousand miles.
Check the engine number against the list of known problems.

I'd be very surprised if he is willing to do that! There is not much info on the garage and i think the reviews are suspect as not from verified customers

Regarding Cat N.... the damage may have been minimal... BUT I would check closely that it was repaired properly, i.e. paint match, shut lines / panel gaps, etc.

If anyone could tell me if the balancer shaft affects this vehicle would be appreciated

Will call mb tomorrow to validate the service history, will then decide whether it is worth me traveling to view it

Great! Is the engine no affected on this one?

Looks a good spec! V rare
Pan roof, heated seats, memory seats, xenons, parking sensors, wide screen sat nav

engines up to #2729..30 468933 -- this when the gear is the problem

Going from Markjay's decode 272947 30 757779
engines up to #2729..30 759427 -- this when the adjustment solenoids are the problem

engines up to #2729..30 895140 -- this when the adjustment solenoids leak oil

The first two scenarios cause "check engine light", the third is just an oil leak.
Clear of the gear problem the very expensive one but may require new solenoids.

engines up to #2729..30 468933 -- this when the gear is the problem

Going from Markjay's decode 272947 30 757779
engines up to #2729..30 759427 -- this when the adjustment solenoids are the problem

engines up to #2729..30 895140 -- this when the adjustment solenoids leak oil

The first two scenarios cause "check engine light", the third is just an oil leak.
Clear of the gear problem the very expensive one but may require new solenoids.

Phew! Cheers, so it is just the solenoids which could be a problem? the new solenoids, what would this typically cost in parts and labour?

Good find.

And now you know where to look for signs of poor repair........... hopefully there will be none.

Good find.

And now you know where to look for signs of poor repair........... hopefully there will be none.

Doesnt appear to be any dents or physical damage, just looks like scratches and paint transfer

The tow hook cover in the auto trader appears to be missing, can these be purchased from mercedes painted in the actual colour?

That engine number is well after the balance shaft gear problem (engines up to 468993).

It is just within the range of those which may have an issue with the camshaft solenoids. There are 4 of these at the top front of the engine and each takes 15min (or less) to replace) and costs circa £20 for the new part.

I would ignore the doomsayers with this engine.

I would just try to find out why the insurance company wrote it off as the copart photos don't seem to show several £ks worth of damage.

PS I believe the towing eye cover is available painted. My copy of EPC shows its part number as A 204 885 01 26 9775 where the 9775 is a reference to its colour - Iridium Silver is MB paint code 775U

Last edited:
That engine number is well after the balance shaft gear problem (engines up to 468993).

It is just within the range of those which may have an issue with the camshaft solenoids. There are 4 of these at the top front of the engine and each takes 15min (or less) to replace) and costs circa £20 for the new part.

I would ignore the doomsayers with this one.

Perfect! Thank you! Will give merc a call tomorrow to validate the service history if all is well will take the train and view it on the weekend

Sounds promising, anything else I should look out for?

I would ignore the doomsayers with this engine.

I would just try to find out why the insurance company wrote it off as the copart photos don't seem to show several £ks worth of damage.

PS I believe the towing eye cover is available painted. My copy of EPC shows its part number as A 204 885 01 26 9775 where the 9775 is a reference to its colour - Iridium Silver is MB paint code 775U

will be giving Copart a call also, any way I could find out which insurance company wrote it off?

Copart were not prepared to disclose any information :(, called Mercedes who advised only record of services they have are as follows

Recall 1605 was carried out and left and right tail lamp was replaced under warranty

In light of the missing service history, shall i proceed ahead and view or walk away?

If it were me I would go ahead, not exactly overpriced

Copart were not prepared to disclose any information :(, called Mercedes who advised only record of services they have are as follows

Recall 1605 was carried out and left and right tail lamp was replaced under warranty

In light of the missing service history, shall i proceed ahead and view or walk away?
With the mileage it doesn't look too bad and a check the MOT history What is the vehicle's registration number - MOT History
they are all clear with very few advisories.
I'm always wary of photos of what a car was like on a particular day. If you are going on a hike like that I would certainly have a phone conversation with the dealer and see what the vibes are.

Diddums. I'd have happily traded mine in and put down 1.5 to 2k to switch to that one. It had many options mine doesn't have and a lovely interior.

Mine has the seemingly very rare pre-facelift taillights with the LED indicator strips. I've never seen another car with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom