C Class Problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TimG

Car
C Class
Hi All,

Please help someone!

I've searched and searched but cannot find an answer.

My Car is a 2011 C Class (W204) C 220 CDI with 45,000 on the clock.

Driving around locally is absolutely fine and have no issues, however go onto a faster road or motorway the issues begin!!

The car goes into a sort of limp mode with a severe lack of power and over revs. I can still get up to speed ie 80mph, but this takes time not the usual beast.
However if I stop the car, turn off, then restart, things are ok again until I go fast / accelerate hard.

At NO TIME have I had any warning lights.

This week I have taken it into the garage for diagnostics and the following were recorded:

Charge Movement Flap
Low Pressure Turbo Charger
Boost Pressure Turbo Charger
Oxygen Sensor
Air Intake Leak

I'm kind of hoping that the one fault has triggered a chain of issues???

Anyway after the diagnostics nothing obvious could be easily seen and request that I book it in to have the front bumper removed etc for a more thorough investigation.

One thing I have read is the Engine Turbocharger Pressure Transducer. Could this possibly be my issue or is it a case of pay the big money to start stripping the front end off??

Many thanks in advance if any kind sole can shed some light on my issue.

Would look at pipe / hose from Turbo to Intercooler to intake as a first point,

It’s all accessible without too much hassle, it’s at the front and to the left of the engine, best access by taking off the air intake pipe (the one going in to the filter box) and unclipping the plastic cross member attached to the top of the grill.

Amazes me that the many requests for help or advice are very rarely replied to by the OP as to what was the outcome.

Your OM 651 engine runs twin sequential turbos--- sounds as if the car is not switching to the high-speed turbo-- in other words the engine is not getting the boost it expects-but it could equally be an air leak to or from the intercooler.
Take a look at this-especially the section on supercharging/turbocharging

Hi guys, was waiting for second opinion before I get my head bitten off..
It turns out the air intake manifold is leaking and also needs the air filter housing replacing?? Diagnosed using smoke machine etc.

Downside it that it's estimated at around £1400, and on a 2011, 45,000 miles seems poor??

Possibly time to trade in first.

PS, Thanks for taking the time to reply and help me out, much appreciated.

Last edited:
Just as an update to my original post. This is the final diagnosis of my problem. I would really appreciate it if someone could please advise me as to the approx cost that I should expect??
I have been given a figure by one indie but am not sure if it's realistic.

Description of work carried out

Vehicle came in with report of lack of power whe on motorway, more at higher speeds than lower speed.

Carried out Fog test to intake system to find inlet manifold is leaking around cylinder 1 & 2 of engine, this causes a boost leak.

Will require new inlet manifold with servo flap motor.

Would also advise on replacing coolant inlet fuel filter connection as showing signs of leaking coolant.

Last edited:
Hi guys, was waiting for second opinion before I get my head bitten off..
It turns out the air intake manifold is leaking and also needs the air filter housing replacing?? Diagnosed using smoke machine etc.

Downside it that it's estimated at around £1400, and on a 2011, 45,000 miles seems poor??

Possibly time to trade in first.

PS, Thanks for taking the time to reply and help me out, much appreciated.
Hi , have you looked on eBay for the parts required (assuming the diagnosis is correct).A friend of mine has a Toyota Prius and had the same symptoms as you.

Toyota parts on eBay £115.00 Labour at local garage £120

Toyota total was over £1000 but not sure of break down.

Got to be worth a look / best of luck

Smoke test shows leaking from cylinder 1 and 2 area, you almost certainly have the common sheared manifold bolt. Common issue. Small write up from one I did a few years ago, should give you some idea. Fairly big job, circa £1k including parts.

Hi , have you looked on eBay for the parts required (assuming the diagnosis is correct).A friend of mine has a Toyota Prius and had the same symptoms as you.

The Prius isn't a diesel and doesn't have one turbo, let alone two, though...

You'd expect a '1-in-4' rattle (sounding like a loud 2-stroke engine) if a an exhaust manifold bolt sheared?

And, depending on access, it could be a head-off job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom