C320 Cdi..What to look for ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thank you all for you replies..
I went to view the 2007 example of the c320 cdi today..
I drove the 51 miles to view it and the guy was outside leathering it off and saying "isnt it a great example" etc, etc..
He then said "I suppose you will want to drive it?"
"Yes' I said..
"Oh well I must tell you its in Limp home mode"
I drove it and yes its smooth with a smooth gear change etc but it felt totally gutless and wouldnt rev.. It was like a 1 litre none turbo diesel.. There were no warning lights on the dash or anything..
He said "I dont suppose you know how to reset the limp home mode do you"?
It felt to me like the turbo was disconnected.. I have never experienced 'Limp Home Mode' before so I cannot say if it was or wasnt that manifestation.

I was pretty peed off with driving over 100 miles to be told it wasnt running properly.. Had he never heard of a phone call ?
Other than that the car was very, very nice condition..The rear seats looked like they have never been sat on..

Have to admit that the comments about shut off motors and crank oils seals has tarnished my zest for getting one of these cars..
In this day and age thats just NOT good enough !

Last edited:
Thank you all for you replies..
I went to view the 2007 example of the c320 cdi today..
I drove the 51 miles to view it and the guy was outside leathering it off and saying "isnt it a great example" etc, etc..
He then said "I suppose you will want to drive it?"
"Yes' I said..
"Oh well I must tell you its in Limp home mode"
I drove it and yes its smooth with a smooth gear change etc but it felt totally gutless and wouldnt rev.. It was like a 1 litre none turbo diesel.. There were no warning lights on the dash or anything..
He said "I dont suppose you know how to reset the limp home mode do you"?
It felt to me like the turbo was disconnected.. I have never experienced 'Limp Home Mode' before so I cannot say if it was or wasnt that manifestation.

I was pretty peed off with driving over 100 miles to be told it wasnt running properly.. Had he never heard of a phone call ?
Other than that the car was very, very nice condition..The rear seats looked like they have never been sat on..

Have to admit that the comments about shut off motors and crank oils seals has tarnished my zest for getting one of these cars..
In this day and age thats just NOT good enough !

Don't let the bearing issue detract unduly. One of the signs of the Port shutoff motor is... limp home mode. Other possibilities exist too...

Agree with David. Crankshaft bearings are not common failings. Mind you I suspect the one you tried has inlet port failure. Once that is fixed I doubt very much it will cause any future problems. If it's fixed at a MB dealer it comes with a 2 year warranty.
Got to admit driving a car in limp mode is totally pointless.

davidjpowell said:
Don't let the bearing issue detract unduly. One of the signs of the Port shutoff motor is... limp home mode. Other possibilities exist too...

My money is on that inlet port motor failing. It's about the right milliage to fail for the first time. Advise vendor that's the issue and them to fix it. Performance and from Simons post its exactly like what mine was like when it failed

Well here is another one you can add to the list of crankshaft bearing failures. Mines in now being fixed. 10 days so far as they said that they only have one engine lift in the whole of the Mercedes London group and another dealer is using it.
Laughable

Advise vendor that's the issue and them to fix it.

I wouldn't advise the vendor of anything apart from the fact that he is a timewaster .....Its appauling that the OP had to drive soo far to see a car in limp mode and wasn't even advised on the phone as to the running state of the car.:mad:

Well here is another one you can add to the list of crankshaft bearing failures. Mines in now being fixed. 10 days so far as they said that they only have one engine lift in the whole of the Mercedes London group and another dealer is using it.
Laughable

How old is your car? Age and miles if you would.

It's my opinion that they all suffer it's just that no one hears it as it don't sound as if it's something bad. Mine only happened between 70 and 80 degrees so not cold and not at full temp.

It's my opinion that they all suffer it's just that no one hears it as it don't sound as if it's something bad. Mine only happened between 70 and 80 degrees so not cold and not at full temp.

What no-one has clarified is what happens if you leave it.

If you leave it is it just slightly noisy, or does it lunch the engine. If it lunches the engine, is it quick or slow.

And whats the going rate to fix it, IIRC it was nearly £2000.

Mine is £2800 for labour + parts. It's under warrenty as I have only had it about a month from Mercedes Retail.
I think the official line is " it is not detrimental to the longevity of the engine "

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom