C350CDI - Limp & EML

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisRyan87

Car
W204 C350CDi
Hi, brand new to MB world. Purchased a W204 C350 CDI estate. Had been on the hunt for about 4 years for the right one. Came across her and purchased yesterday.
After 60 Miles into 445 mile journey home, (driving from Chepstow, Wales to Perth, Scotland) the car appeared to go into Limp Mode. Lack of power, wouldn’t accelerate over 3,000RPM and would only change gear near that rev range. Pulled into service station for restroom break, car was back to normal - awesome!
A further 60ish Miles, same thing happened, (reported to the garage I purchased car from by this time).
As I’d been up since 3 am that day I was keen to just crack on with my journey. Eventually stopped at Lancaster Services for a good 20 mins, continued Journey and within a matter of minutes, fault had returned ( NO EML still).
After a few hours pulled over briefly for a quick break and the car was back to normal. Had been all the way home. Took the car to my local garage who plugged into SnapOn diagnostics - No fault.
Within 10 mins of leaving garage, fault returned so went straight back.
Plugged into same diagnostics and came back with these codes ;

15FD00H/144024
The lower limit value of component b28/8 (dpd differential pressure sensor) has not been reached
11A700
The fill level of the diesel particulate filter is too high
13AF00
The soot content of the diesel particulate filter is too high

Mechanic also started a regen of the dpf and it said on the diagnostics that the fill level of the dpf was 299%.
The regen didn’t do anything, possible cause - not enough fuel in the tank. After all this, the EML decides to come on. So, Repairs to be continued on Monday.

Would a regen rectify this issue? Or is there more than meets the eye?
Apologies if this seemed long winded, kind of felt everything said was necessary. Have also taken screen shots of said fault codes if required.

Cheers.

they sold it to you like this , have them fix it , if not you have a 14 day cooling off period where as you can return goods for your money back . sounds like it needs the dpf replaced or at least cleaned out somehow .

I agree! Sounds like the DPF is knackered, even if they manage a regeneration How long before it needs more attention? Am sure a DPF expert will comment! If it were me I would be straight back and say new DPF or my money back.

does that scanner tell you the date when the last error codes were cleared , if it does its good grounds that they knew about it also . my icarsoft mb2 tells you miles since last dtc cleared .

they sold it to you like this , have them fix it , if not you have a 14 day cooling off period where as you can return goods for your money back ..

The 14 day period you mention is not common to all car deals and there are very specific circumstances that need to be met first: The supplying dealer can offer to repair the car first and this would be reasonable in law.

See here for clarification:

Buying a car in person from a dealership

A vehicle order signed on the dealer’s premises has no cooling-off period. Once you sign it, you are legally committed to everything shown on the form.

Obviously, you have consumer rights that allow you to return a faulty car for a full refund. But you don’t have the legal right to simply change your mind either before or after taking delivery. You have signed a contract and you are expected to fulfil it.

A dealer may be prepared to negotiate changes to the contract in order to keep you from walking away. But they do have the moral high ground here as it’s you who wants to change the contract.

Buying a car at a distance or off-premises

If you are buying a car over the phone or online, which has become much more common with the growth of online classified sites that allow you to easily buy a car from anywhere within the country, then you do have more legal protection.

The same applies if you are buying a car off-premises. For example, a dealer might bring a car to your house and you sign a vehicle order there, rather than you going to the dealership.

In a nutshell, you have the right to cancel from the moment an order is placed until 14 days after taking delivery of the car. It doesn’t matter if it’s a new or used car, the law is the same.

The dealer must provide you with details of their returns/cancellation policy. They must also explain who pays for the cost of returning the car if you change your mind. Their policy may include charges for returning/collecting the vehicle, but they must provide you with this information up front. You are liable for any damage you cause to the car.

What is important with regard to Distance or Off-Premises Selling is that the specific act of sale must be done at a distance. This means that you and the dealer both have to sign a contract without you setting foot on their premises.

Many dealers will try and avoid this by taking a deposit to “hold the vehicle”, or sign a draft contract “subject to viewing the vehicle”. Then the final contract is only signed when you trek over to collect the car. The new contract supercedes the old, and vehicle is technically sold on the premises rather than at a distance.

Dealers often use this technique to try and avoid their cancellation obligations under the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013, which replaced the old Distance Selling Regulations.

there you go then . ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ good luck ....

Hi, thanks for all your replies.
So it sounds like the dpf has never had a regen? I thought the car done it on its own?
I stay in Scotland and purchased from a Garage in Chepstow, Wales.
When we first spoke to the dealers on Saturday (when they couldn’t find the fault) the dealers and the garage agreed that they’d change the fuel filter, as originally we couldn’t find the faults and thought maybe that could be the issue.
But when they eventually appeared back, the dealership wasn’t open.
The dealership gave a 3 month warranty, I’d assume that even if it was the dreaded DPF was needing repaired - they’d be within their right to replace it?
Is dpf cleaner and a regen worth it? Or best with replacing dpf?

You need to find an Indy with Star, get it checked out and if that points to the DPF they will do a re-gen. If that doesn't sort it, new DPF's are around £400 plus fitting for a pattern part. Present this to the supplying dealer and let them negotiate with the repairer. Good luck.

UPDATE :- My garage tried regen with DPF cleaner, lowered soot content, ash content stayed High and the DPF was still reading 299% full. Garage called the dealership I bought the car from.
They advised him to remove the DPF and that they have arranged for a company to collect the DPF tomorrow for cleaning.
Bit of positive news at least. I head back off to work for 21 days on Wednesday, can’t wait to get back already! [emoji23]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom