• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

C63 W204 Query

RSTurbo50

Car
BMW 330d M Sport Touring X Drive
Iv found a 2013 C63 coupe that I like with 54k miles. The guy selling it has had it in for a service today. Rear tyres need replacing and it also states a slight oil leak from the rear main seal. They advised him it was nothing major and just to have it checked at the next service.

My question is how much would this cost me to put it right? Apparently it’s a full days labour as they need to drop the transmission. Is it a major worry I.e. an engine issue or is it common and would you just not worry too much about it?

The car looks clean and he has had it over three years. Just don’t want to buy it then have major engine issues….

Oil leaks are common on these, can be very difficult to pinpoint the exact location, but for minor leaks in the mid to upper part of the engine, best left alone.

Don't see many C63 W204 without some kind of minor leak.

You can't even see the rear main seal with gearbox on. 95% likely it's a leak from at least one of the sump layers that's dripped backwards from the airflow. There's a lower pan, then middle sump and an upper sump. The middle to upper and upper to block are all starting to leak on 204 C63s because it's just sealant, no gasket.

For quite a long time it'll be not too bad and alright to simply clean off every service. To fix is either subframe off for middle or engine out for upper sump.

Something that also came up from the health report was ‘slight oil misting from oil cap’. His response to this was:

The oil cap misting is external just where some oil was spilt during top up.

The car seems genuine but could this be a sign of a head gasket issue?

Wipe it up and go for a drive. Simples.

They aren't known for head gaskets to go. Mine is always slightly moist just around the neck of the filler where the cap is. I think a tiny amount mists out.

The only leak i ever had on mine was the NS camcover which WILL leak sooner or later and as said above i find it hard to diagnos rear main leak on an mot

Service not mot😄

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom