C63s amg judder under load

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ewheeler6383

Car
C63s amg
I have a 2016 c63s amg I’ve had the car around 3 years now and I love it, it has been modified, down pipes carbon intakes turbo race port valve, stage 2 map, recently it’s developed a violent juddering when under load, it happens in more or less every gear but the lower the gear and the longer it takes to build up speed the worse it gets, I’ve changed the plugs and coil packs and it’s still exactly the same, the car idles perfectly and revs up perfect so I’m not convinced it’s anything engine? I’m going to try a gear box service next but just wondering if anyone has come across this as it’s putting me off the car now

Sounds like a fault in the transmission/drivetrain somewhere.

If it was misfire/engine related there would be an EML light for sure.

Yes this is what I thought, but saying that one of my coil packs had gone down a few months back and it never threw up an engine light, I’ve checked the drive shafts prop and all mountings yet nothing stands out, I think I’m going to go with a gearbox service and see if that improves anything

Are you aware of the procedure to perform a TCU reset yourself?
If not, it's a simple process; lot's of threads here and youtube videos on it.

Assume this works on your car:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

No I wasn’t aware of this? I will try it and see what happens, thank you

I have a 2016 c63s amg I’ve had the car around 3 years now and I love it, it has been modified, down pipes carbon intakes turbo race port valve, stage 2 map, recently it’s developed a violent juddering when under load, it happens in more or less every gear but the lower the gear and the longer it takes to build up speed the worse it gets, I’ve changed the plugs and coil packs and it’s still exactly the same, the car idles perfectly and revs up perfect so I’m not convinced it’s anything engine? I’m going to try a gear box service next but just wondering if anyone has come across this as it’s putting me off the car now
Hi , if you drive the car slowly do you still get the violent judder when changing gear.

Hi, so it’s not really when I change gear, so say I’m on the motorway in 4th or 5th doing about 60mph if I put my foot to the floor as the speed builds up the whole car judders really bad as though a prop shaft mount has gone, it also starts to splitter a bit, it’s strange tho as like I said when stationary the car revs up perfect and idles perfect, this is why I’m thinking it’s more box related

Hi, so it’s not really when I change gear, so say I’m on the motorway in 4th or 5th doing about 60mph if I put my foot to the floor as the speed builds up the whole car judders really bad as though a prop shaft mount has gone, it also starts to splitter a bit, it’s strange tho as like I said when stationary the car revs up perfect and idles perfect, this is why I’m thinking it’s more box related
Perhaps the prop shaft mount has gone?

Check all the mountings and bushes the other day mate, everything’s spot on, tan the car up on the ramp as well and nothing could be seen

, it also starts to splitter a bit,
I can't see that anything other than an engine problem can make the engine splutter.
it’s strange tho as like I said when stationary the car revs up perfect and idles perfect, this is why I’m thinking it’s more box related
The demands on the fuel and ignition systems are negligible compared to actually driving the car. Eg, the rate at which fuel is consumed at WOT and max rpm is around 100 times greater than when idling.
Connecting a scanner and checking sensor data is probably in order.

I can't see that anything other than an engine problem can make the engine splutter.

The demands on the fuel and ignition systems are negligible compared to actually driving the car. Eg, the rate at which fuel is consumed at WOT and max rpm is around 100 times greater than when idling.
Connecting a scanner and checking sensor data is probably in order.
Just to add, if the problem is transmission related than probably internal - eg TC lock-up clutch playing up.

Sounds expensive 🤦‍♂️
If it is that....
Could be something a lot cheaper. If the engine is genuinely 'stuttering' and not just a vibration then probably/possibly something much simpler. You need to dig into sensor functionality and if nothing there, live data from when the problem is occurring. Re-reading the thread, it's due a gearbox service - that may be enough if it is transmission related.

Fuel filter?

It sounds like it’s quite a big tune on this car. It’s sooo difficult to diagnose a fault just from a description on a forum. The differential on the S model is known to be weak if the car is heavily tuned. There is a skinny pin that supports the two halves of the spider gears right in the middle of the diff. It can break if the car is highly tuned. I don’t know if what you are describing could be from the diff, but it’s maybe one possibility. Draining the diff oil and looking for metal fragments might be a place to start.

Right, I’ve become massively confused now, because you replied on an old thread where I had posted, so I got a notification about that.

I’m all at crossed porpoises now, but what I typed there might well be relevant to you, so read it and take note ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom