• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Camper Vans again!

Gollom

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)
I have been constantly surprised at just what the breadth of knowledge is on this forum, so here goes...

Come across what looks like a very good buy, but finding specs has proved to be difficult. It is an Elnagh Marlin 57. Anybody know anything about these? Or better at searching the web than me! lol

Is there anybody that has particular expertise in motorhomes who I could PM for an opinion?

How do I protect myself from buying something that could be stolen etc.? HPI check for motor homes possible?

If I want to proceed, seller has said they will deliver the van to me and give 5 days to approve (and pay for collection if needed) She says that this must be done as an Ebay purchase for safety. How well protected am I (assuming an HPI check comes back clear) if I pay then decide not to go ahead? We are talking a value of £6K

If I want to proceed, seller has said they will deliver the van to me and give 5 days to approve (and pay for collection if needed) She says that this must be done as an Ebay purchase for safety. How well protected am I (assuming an HPI check comes back clear) if I pay then decide not to go ahead? We are talking a value of £6K

Legally, if you have it all in writing you should be fairly well protected.

That said, how many dealers do we know that push their luck when it comes to issues?

Why would a seller push an eBay sale?!?!
If they don't prefer cash then I'd be suspicious.

Why would a seller push an eBay sale?!?!
If they don't prefer cash then I'd be suspicious.

Think it is a private buyer and the van is some distance away so has said that if I am serious she will deliver so I can take a look for 5 days. I can sorta see the logic in her saying that in these circumstances she would prefer it through ebay? My (uneducated, hence the post) opinion is that it would also offer me protection via ebay? Opinions welcome!

Thanks

Steve

Can't help on the van front.

I am assuming that you found this advertised on e-bay?

That being the case then it is correct that she & you complete via e-bay as it will offer you both protection.

As for the seller being helpful? Well she may just be a helpful person who wants to get shot of her van. I guess it is the old heart rules head dilemma if she comes to you. You may then feel obligated to buy it or awkward at sending her away in the van. You can remove that by driving up to her and paying cash (or not).

Good luck.

He talks sense.

Anyone speak italian? There are plenty for sale over there.
Elnagh Marlin 57 - Offerte Roulotte E Camper In Vendita In Tutta Italia - eBay Annunci

Google translate may help you with a little research through these ads.

Keep in mind that buying used in Italy is a minefield (and an expensive minefield at that). You will need an official act of sale, two vehicle certificates (from the seller - one ownership certificate and one registration certificate). Oddly, you'll also need an (Italian) residence certificate to prove where you live. Oh yeah, and both buyer and sellers (italian) national insurance numbers. You take all this (and 400-odd euros) and submit them to the local government office. I was going to buy an ape for a challenge in Italy and then decided it was more hassle than buying it here at an inflated price (and I'm Italian, speak Italian and can navigate the red tape)

The link was more for research purposes. But good heads up on the possibility of buying motors from italy.

As above. Dont even think about getting one in Italy. I keep our "italian" car on UK plates. Much simpler.

Steve

Can't help on the van front.

I am assuming that you found this advertised on e-bay?

That being the case then it is correct that she & you complete via e-bay as it will offer you both protection.

As for the seller being helpful? Well she may just be a helpful person who wants to get shot of her van. I guess it is the old heart rules head dilemma if she comes to you. You may then feel obligated to buy it or awkward at sending her away in the van. You can remove that by driving up to her and paying cash (or not).

Good luck.

550 miles away (North of Scotland) I think your assumption is right but if she has been relatively straightforward with the description, I'd be keeping it anyway. During the 5 days I would have an MOT done at the place I use (which I will let her know) and if it passes probably will go ahead. Was more concerned about my protection under ebay.

If you're concerned about eBay protection, call them up and ask them.

Hmmmmmm. Looking so tempting! Any advice from the weekend crowd? lol

<Ponders> How long a queue could I build up behind me on a country road? :devil:

Does it start...does it stop...is it rusty....does everything work.

If you can answer yes to three of those and the price is right....buy it.!

Last edited:
Does it start...does it stop...is it rusty....does everything work.

If you can answer yet to three of those and the price is right....buy it.!

Sage advice indeed!

Just want to satisfy myself it is not a scam to get my hard-earned and then I will be In Like Flynn!

Isn't it meant to be cheaper to stay in 5 star hotels than to run a camper van - given most peoples average usage and days on holiday ?? slightly off topic soz :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom