Changing interior trim e class cabriolet (A238)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BfgSLKMan

North Germany and Sometimes South Germany
Car
S213 220d AMG Line (his) and A238 220d AMG Line (hers)
Hi. As you can see from my signature block we have ordered a new E Class convertible. However, due to the stupidity of MB UK they have decided to cut down the trim option availability in UK cars to just dark ash wood or aluminium crystal cut both with ash wood centre console. We had ordered designo black piano flowing wood trim (we have black and white nappa leather seats) and gloss black centre console (yes I know it is prone to scratching but...) however MB UK have no said no as all cars built after 01 June can't have it.

So, not wanting to start a debate about why, I would like to ask the experts here for some advice on the following:

I can see from YouTube that removing the centre console consists of undoing 4 screws and undoing the wiring (easy) and I am really mechanically minded so...

• How do I separate out the trim piece from say the climate control switches, I assume they are just clipped in?
  • How do I remove the dash trim (horizontal strip across the dash)?
  • How do I remove the door trim pieces?
It is my intention to then get the the new trim and refit and sell the existing stuff of fleebay (Ihave seen sets of black ash dash and centre console going for really expensive prices).

Is there any chance that someone with access to a parts catalogue could give me the part numbers for drivers door, passenger door (both with electric seat switches, heated seat/headscarf buttons and burmester speakers) and dashboard (which is two pieces i think) all in H16 Designo Piano Laquer Flowing Black Lines and a piano black centre console?

I know it won't be cheap but ideally I would like to get the parts and change them between me collecting the car and driving it back home for my wife. She has been really stressed about MB F****** us about with this car (I won't even go into the dramas we are having with the Estate) it would be a great surprise.

Thank you in advance for hopefully some responses.

You must remove the entire door card to remove the door trim. It is quite the task if you have never done it. You will need plastic prying tools to assist with removing it.

The controls are clipped in around the perimeter of each element. I have never done it on a E-class, but have performed it on the C-class (which is nearly identical). Here is a picture of someone doing a conversion.
80-img_20170427_202827_2dd35bc8f57d6109a899d752e339cdffd024762b.jpg

Lastly, i am not sure about the dash trim. I think you should just pay a shop to switch them for, its a pretty big task to not damage anything.

Guys,

Awesome thank you.

So in sum:

• Doors - door panel off and then prise out/replace
  • Dash - WSC panel remove, end caps remove and the prise out/replace
  • Centre Console - 4 screws remove, prise out the controls/replace
Looks like a two cup of tea job :thumb::thumb:

Think we'll have a go at this - just need to record for a YouTube video:thumb:

good luck, be careful with the doors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom