Cling clang noise from Engine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rayasun

Car
C350e
Hello friends,
This evening when driving back home, I heard noise from under the bonnet. It sounded like cymbal (cling clang noise). It was all perfect until today. I am not sure what is the root cause. Has anyone experienced this (or know what the issue could be)?

I will try to attach a recorded sound sometime later.

Thanks in advance

Have you fitted any Chinese parts recently? :)

Hello friends,
This evening when driving back home, I heard noise from under the bonnet. It sounded like cymbal (cling clang noise). It was all perfect until today. I am not sure what is the root cause. Has anyone experienced this (or know what the issue could be)?

I will try to attach a recorded sound sometime later.

Thanks in advance
Does it happen when the car is stationary? Is it a constant frequency, or does it change with speed? My first guess is that it’s suspension related rather than engine, but that’s a guess.

Let the engine run at idle while stationary, and then try revving it to see if you can recreate it whilst not moving. You may need to hold revs constant rather than blip the revs.

Does it happen when the car is stationary? Is it a constant frequency, or does it change with speed? My first guess is that it’s suspension related rather than engine, but that’s a guess.

Let the engine run at idle while stationary, and then try revving it to see if you can recreate it whilst not moving. You may need to hold revs constant rather than blip the revs.
Its a constant noise, whether car is moving slowly or fast.

I have tried this briefly, when in stationary, it doesn't make the noise. I rev'ed the engine, but intermittently, no noise.

I will check a constant revving tomorrow.

If it only happens when you are driving you need more sensors. Sit 3 friends or family in the car with you. Open all windows. Go for a drive on your usual routes and ask your passengers to note any odd sounds and where they think they are coming from.

Hm. Noticed that a thin rod has been dangling, I just pushed it up and the noise is gone.

Phew, its a relief. I will need to take it to garage to get it fixed as I can't reach fully.

Thanks all for the support provided.

Attachments

• 20230727_190457.jpg
    20230727_190457.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
Hm. Noticed that a thin rod has been dangling, I just pushed it up and the noise is gone.
Hmmmm...
Fwiw I would be "very keen" to identify that thin rod. Mercedes would be unlikely to install something unnecessary under your car & you wouldn't want to find out it's purpose when something important suddenly isn't working.
Before you had identified the source, I was going to suggest as a guess that it was exhaust/heat shield related. However the componant in your image suggests that my guess would have been wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom