CLK500 facelift (5.0 , 7 speed)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It sounds as though you don't get on with him, which isn't a good start.

We had a chat and I cancelled the viewing. Too much negative energy...

John, I've checked the link to W216 but it does not work.

Is it a black E500 with roof rack ? If yes, then it is very interesting due to new 383bhp engine & overall condition etc. The engine is the revised M273 (no issue with timing chain elements). It has 7g gearbox, but again, it's the later ,possibly more refined unit. It's not as cool as older cars when it comes to looks, but I prefer that to rust issues.

That's been on sale for ages.

Yes, since at least 25/05 it seems.

Although I guess Covid might account for some cars not shifting.

It could also be a turd of course. 😄

We had a chat and I cancelled the viewing. Too much negative energy...

John, I've checked the link to W216 but it does not work.

Is it a black E500 with roof rack ? If yes, then it is very interesting due to new 383bhp engine & overall condition etc. The engine is the revised M273 (no issue with timing chain elements). It has 7g gearbox, but again, it's the later ,possibly more refined unit. It's not as cool as older cars when it comes to looks, but I prefer that to rust issues.

Strangely, it's gone today (so either the ad expired, the owner changed their mind or it's sold).

It was black with 18" chunky 5 spoke wheels on 130k although I can't remember it having a roof rack though.

Yes, they have that and also the fact the 216 is much better built than a 215 (as they built on 221 and 220 underpinnings respectively).

That said, you can be unlucky with whatever you buy.

A well-looked after car with plenty of invoices / history to support it as well as a car in great condition and someone who has owned it knowing what they are doing (ideally an enthusiast) is your best chance of having a good experience.

Strangely, it's gone today (so either the ad expired, the owner changed their mind or it's sold).

It was black with 18" chunky 5 spoke wheels on 130k although I can't remember it having a roof rack though.

I've confused it with different car (E500 2009) : https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...im=E500&make=MERCEDES-BENZ&radius=1500&page=1

A very nice CLK55 AMG has appeared, but the price is a bit too steep for pre facelift in my opinion. Dealers are in good position to make money now though. I think the bubble will burst after September:

Ah got you.

That does look like a nice CLK55 but yes, agree on the price. I don't really know the values of them that well but that one is over-priced IMO. I would think £7k / £8k personally as it is still an 03 and stuff ages whether you use it or not.

Some place a lot of emphasis on low mileage but perversely, this is not really good for cars if used a lot for short journeys. Longer journeys much less often is fine though and this could be a high days and holidays type car.

The CL is a big old unit though so be aware. Might be worth trying one to ensure you are happy driving one although I find with larger cars you get used to them quite quickly and the differences in sizes are not as much as the perceived differences.

Hi John

Thank you for remembering about me !

This is a gorgeous color. Sounds like it's been well maintained but I am still a little scared of the ABC system after doing research around it last time I considered CL class.
The one I wanted to view had the system replaced with gas struts and springs but someone advised to stay away and get the real thing.

Since my last post, I have viewed Mercedes CLK350 2007 (to re-assure myself I want a V8) and cheap Audi S5 4.2 V8 which has the X FACTOR for sure but this one had a catch. Luckily I took friend with me who works in a paint shop. We found that Audi was painted on both sides. Red Stuff EBC brakes quickly gave us an idea where this could have happened.... good car in general but to a good one in automatic costs at least 11-12k.... I would only spend that much as a last resort (no other options).

I was about to give up again but then I went to view a CLS320 CDI (my friend wants one) and I actually liked the car interior and the exterior very much so I re-considered CLS500. Next day, said friend went to view reasonably priced black CLS500 local to him on my behalf, but found blue smoke coming out of exhaust. The owner panicked and dropped the price nearly another 1k and now the ad is gone from EBAY.

I then found a red 2005 CLS500 20 miles from me (for 3.8k) which I viewed today. Drives great, airmatic still works. The car does not have many options apart from sunroof & satnav but great service history and body work.
There is no rust in arches - maybe repainted ? HPI clear though and had private reg till June 2020.

I did not have time to test parktronic fully (I did not understand how to read the symbols and called it faulty) so I am coming back tomorrow to finish the viewing. I told the owner he must find second key before we agree sale.
I am also going to check all panels for sings of re-spray etc. If all checks out, I am having it !!

The car is on 89k miles and needs service and tracking. Other than that it would be perfect budget to fun ratio.

I will post the result tomorrow.

CLS500 is a good call, but then I'm biased 😉 The original owner of mine didn't tick many items on the extras list either (I don't even have a sunroof lol) but then the way I look at it is there's less to go wrong. Check all 4 windows go up & down a few times as the regulators are a known weak point, also the engine cam cover gaskets can leak oil. Also check the harmonic balancer at the front of the engine. Other than that check the 7G gearbox shifts almost imperceptibly & that the car sits evenly (airmatic). The M113 is a pretty bulletproof V8 but then I think you already know that.
Also, there is a reasonably sized choice of CLS500s out there, so don't be afraid to walk away from one. I originally was looking for a W211 E500 but found them a bit thin on the ground so then turned my attention to the CLS (it's basically an E500 underneath) & found them quite a bit more plentiful.

Last edited:
Hi John

Thank you for remembering about me !

This is a gorgeous color. Sounds like it's been well maintained but I am still a little scared of the ABC system after doing research around it last time I considered CL class.
The one I wanted to view had the system replaced with gas struts and springs but someone advised to stay away and get the real thing.

Since my last post, I have viewed Mercedes CLK350 2007 (to re-assure myself I want a V8) and cheap Audi S5 4.2 V8 which has the X FACTOR for sure but this one had a catch. Luckily I took friend with me who works in a paint shop. We found that Audi was painted on both sides. Red Stuff EBC brakes quickly gave us an idea where this could have happened.... good car in general but to a good one in automatic costs at least 11-12k.... I would only spend that much as a last resort (no other options).

I was about to give up again but then I went to view a CLS320 CDI (my friend wants one) and I actually liked the car interior and the exterior very much so I re-considered CLS500. Next day, said friend went to view reasonably priced black CLS500 local to him on my behalf, but found blue smoke coming out of exhaust. The owner panicked and dropped the price nearly another 1k and now the ad is gone from EBAY.

I then found a red 2005 CLS500 20 miles from me (for 3.8k) which I viewed today. Drives great, airmatic still works. The car does not have many options apart from sunroof & satnav but great service history and body work.
There is no rust in arches - maybe repainted ? HPI clear though and had private reg till June 2020.

I did not have time to test parktronic fully (I did not understand how to read the symbols and called it faulty) so I am coming back tomorrow to finish the viewing. I told the owner he must find second key before we agree sale.
I am also going to check all panels for sings of re-spray etc. If all checks out, I am having it !!

The car is on 89k miles and needs service and tracking. Other than that it would be perfect budget to fun ratio.

I will post the result tomorrow.

That CL does look like a cracker and forum cars are often well-cared for. I'd defo consider one over some random person on the street selling one.

Fair enough though as you have to be comfortable with a car you are buying.

I took a leap of faith with my 211 E55 but I certainly had a good experience and don't regret it.

Finding the right car in good shape mitigates bills IMO... as does keeping up with timely maintenance and repairs!

AirMATIC can also be expensive to maintain so go into that with your eyes open.

However, I am with whoever advised you to stick with the OEM system (AirMATIC or ABC).

They are worth the money.

My S500 has MBC (ABC + proactive cameras to adjust to undulations before they are reached) and it rides like it is on a sheet of glass.

I am aware it could cost a fair few if it developed an expensive fault but I feel it's worth it for what it gives back all the time you drive it.

I think a CLS is also a good call. I've always loved the shape of the 219 and 218.

Good luck with it and will look forward to some good news...

It is done ! The CLS500 is now mine.

It's been a long day ... bank transfer issues, getting the car over to my house and rush hour traffic out of Cardiff into the valleys ....

I think it was a good deal despite some imperfections. The value of the car was just spot on. I have saved a few k's , so if there is a problem with the car I can address right away.

Airmatic is great indeed. No regrets here. It took a few miles of driving to appreciate it though. I checked the gap between arch and wheels in every setting and even left car on the HIGHEST raise (special button) for long time and did not drop.

The V8 is pulling like mad. Where is the TC button lol ? The colour catches peoples eyes too. So flashy !! My BMW was invisible.
I can't find the AUX port. I have such option on the menu. This is 2005 car with SATNAV and phone connection. I don't think it's HK , but bass is strong and overall good enough.

Funny thing wss that I thought parktronic was faulty, but It took some research before I understood how it works .... Seems ok front and back.

I need to balance the wheels (just glue left from where the weights used to be on 1 wheel) and do service (5k since last one) I am good to go .

Thank you guys for support and guidance. I walked away from many before. This one spoke to me.

Well done - it's nice when you get that feeling you got the right car for you.

Need some pictures up when you get the chance...

TC should be on the centre console (ESP).

Parktronic on that vintage should be a series of LEDs. Starts with two amber when driving slow enough and then LEDs from the outside light up inwards until the red ones are lit and audible beeps sound.

The Aux input will probably be a 3.5 mm jack plug socket in the glove box.

I will clean her up and post pictures soon:) Oil / Filters service and front brake job next week will bring the car up to scratch mechanically.

Parktronic works as such but not in full. We suspect someone overpainted the sensors on the right hand side of the car (front and rear) - lacquer is peeling off and sometimes they react.
The right front/rear sensors work fine. I found some touch up paint and laquer in the boot. No an issue anyway. I can manage with half for now.

AUX - I have SATANAV unit in the car with AUX function, but could not see anything at all in the glovebox. Very strange. This is 2005 car.
I checked thoroughly. Even manual mentions the glovebox. Does this mean I have to take the radio out and plug in my own cable?

Parktronic works as such but not in full. We suspect someone overpainted the sensors on the right hand side of the car (front and rear) - lacquer is peeling off and sometimes they react.
The right front/rear sensors work fine. I found some touch up paint and laquer in the boot. No an issue anyway. I can manage with half for now.

AUX - I have SATANAV unit in the car with AUX function, but could not see anything at all in the glovebox. Very strange. This is 2005 car.
I checked thoroughly. Even manual mentions the glovebox. Does this mean I have to take the radio out and plug in my own cable?

There was known issue with 211 parking sensors where they would get wet and not work correctly and I would guess they are the same ones on the CLS assuming they have not been swapped out.

There was a hack to remove them and coat them in "Dielectric" grease which worked for mine for ages.

They eventually go wrong again if they got too wet but I never had significant issues with mine after I did that once.

Not sure on the radio question but I used to record MP3s to DVD and played those in my 211 as the single-disc head unit supports them.

Meant I could use about 5 or 6 DVDs and have my entire (at the time) music collection and I only had to change the disc every now and then.

So that is a possibility if you have the same hardware.

I think you need to have "Telephone Pre-wiring" (which my E55 didn't have) to be able to plug in a device like an iPod but I can't remember now.

There was known issue with 211 parking sensors where they would get wet and not work correctly and I would guess they are the same ones on the CLS assuming they have not been swapped out.

There was a hack to remove them and coat them in "Dielectric" grease which worked for mine for ages.

They eventually go wrong again if they got too wet but I never had significant issues with mine after I did that once.

Not sure on the radio question but I used to record MP3s to DVD and played those in my 211 as the single-disc head unit supports them.

Meant I could use about 5 or 6 DVDs and have my entire (at the time) music collection and I only had to change the disc every now and then.

So that is a possibility if you have the same hardware.

I think you need to have "Telephone Pre-wiring" (which my E55 didn't have) to be able to plug in a device like an iPod but I can't remember now.

Hi John

Thanks for the hack - the DVD/MP3 sounds like a solution. My unit is single-disc indeed.

I will investigate the sensors last, after I have addressed all mechanical issues. They occasionally work so there is hope to ''grease'' them up and save some money.

I am heading off to my friends house to change the oil and filters now. Images of the car to follow (still dirty).

Attaching some images :) spent 3.5h cleaning the inside ... The outside was easy enough.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    507 KB · Views: 23
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    540.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    581.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    568 KB · Views: 28
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    347.3 KB · Views: 26
They still look great the W219s don't they 😉 And I'm liking the colour combination, that lighter coloured wood goes really well with the caramel interior 👍

Thank you ! It feels special. Yes, CLS are timeless. Many people can't believe it's 2005 reg. I never had wood or light interior car before so was a bit worried but liking it more and more.

The biggest driver for buying the car were engine + price combination. The rest sort of happened , but in a good way !

There are a few bits and bots to do, but at least I get to learn something new and it keeps me busy. My old car was sorted out but bored me to death.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom