CLK500 facelift (5.0 , 7 speed)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I suspect that you may miss the heated seats though - is its a keeper, it may be worth retro fitting. Does it have a sunroof?

It has sunroof, yes. It has potential to be a keeper if I don't have to commute using this car in the future.

I used to have heated seats in my previous car and only used them for a brief moment when taking off in a cold car so this is not a problem but it would be cool to have them.
I will read about retrofit though. I may change my mind this winter lol.

I would prefer to have xenon lights if I was to retrofit something but can already see potential problems with installing spray nozzles to be road legal etc.
I have ordered OSRAM H7 Nightbreakers for now, they did the job in my old Astra with standard halogen lights.
I already looked under the hood to see bulb access .. one side is ok but the other is too tight to put hand in. I may have to move the coolant tank...

Time for a new thread!

It has sunroof, yes. It has potential to be a keeper if I don't have to commute using this car in the future.

I used to have heated seats in my previous car and only used them for a brief moment when taking off in a cold car so this is not a problem but it would be cool to have them.

I would prefer to have xenon lights if I was to retrofit something but can already see potential problems with installing spray nozzles to be road legal etc.
I have ordered OSRAM H7 Nightbreakers for now, they did the job in my old Astra with standard halogen lights.
I already looked under the hood to see bulb access .. one side is ok but the other is too tight to put hand in. I may have to move the coolant tank...

Comand Online in Lightwater will quote for a retro fit

It looks like you have Xenons and the headlamp washers looking at your photos. Lovely car and colour combo - congrats.

Great buy! A definite future classic.

Comand Online in Lightwater will quote for a retro fit
I looked into this on my old W211. To have an OE install using factory switchgear isn’t cheap as (IIRC) a SAM has to be changed and there is programming in addition to the physical install. I fitted them to my CLK but they are just plug & play on the 203 chassis. If you install pads to the existing seats, they take ages to warm up because there is so much padding attached to underneath the cover. MB seat heaters are part of the actual leather cover - they cost a fortune so then you are looking at finding used seats blah blah.

Honestly, I wouldn’t bother. Way more important is the V8 and the sunroof to open & listen to it!

Last edited:
Honestly, I wouldn’t bother. Way more important is the V8 and the sunroof to open & listen to it!

That's a reasonable insight, though it depends if it's a keeper etc...

With regards to the V8, if it's anything like my M113, there's no V8 sound!

That's a reasonable insight, though it depends if it's a keeper etc...

With regards to the V8, if it's anything like my M113, there's no V8 sound!
There isn't, in fact mine was quiet as a church mouse & the V8 only became vocal at WOT, even then it was very muted. That's in keeping with the ethos of a non-AMG Mercedes I know, but I love the sound of a V8 so I did do a muffler delete on mine & whilst it does sound great it drones a bit below 2000 rpm. I use my car for long distances sometimes so I'm going to have some minimal silencing added as a compromise.

There isn't, in fact mine was quiet as a church mouse & the V8 only became vocal at WOT, even then it was very muted. That's in keeping with the ethos of a non-AMG Mercedes I know, but I love the sound of a V8 so I did do a muffler delete on mine & whilst it does sound great it drones a bit below 2000 rpm. I use my car for long distances sometimes so I'm going to have some minimal silencing added as a compromise.

Yes, I car really hear the engine revving towards the red line, when joining a fast moving motorway from a slip road, for example. It's a mechanical noise, rather than an exhaust rumble.

I did the reverse with my exhaust; reinstalled the OEM cat backs. The drone was awful and as a plus, I gained more power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom